iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum Member in the Amazon

Started by jim king, July 28, 2007, 12:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

We have a Forestry Forum Member here from Missouri.  Don Harby is helping with an enviornmental impact study of our logging methods.  It is very interesting the points he brings up.  It looks like the recomended sustainable  harvest will be 200,000 bf on a 15 year cycle for 80 acres.

.  I will post the report in the next couple of weeks when he gets it done.

Fla._Deadheader

That's a right smart of a bush next to Don.  8) 8)

What's the species ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Riles

Jim,

How often do you get thunderstorms in your neck of the jungle? (Lightning is a source of nitrogen).
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Tom

....and Ozone too!  It patches the atmosphere holes.  ;D  :P

Riles

Yup, more accurately, lightning is a source of nitrogen for plants. The nitrogen attaches to the ozone and washes out. Natural fertilizer.

Nutrient losses should show up relatively quickly on 15 year rotations, even if you leave the fines. This will be an interesting case study. Nitrogen fixing plants probably have more of an impact though.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

jim king

We are in the process of gathering information and Don has come up with some simple things that I had never thought of.  The sawdust from chainsaw harvesting seems to have an almost immediate effect on creating nutrients as shown by nearby growth of areas where we are have cut a tree.  We will be taking soil tests over the next year to determine the results near and under the work areas.  We have taken about 150,000 bf out of the 80 acre study parcel by chain sawing the would into cants and carrying it out and Don had a difficult time finding where we have been working.

As for thunder we have about 180 days of rain and about half of that would be with thunder.  Wind is very rare and when there is a wind thousands of trees fall over much like the straight line winds you have in the States but here a strong wind would be 30 mph.  The trees here have very little root system as there are no nutrients to speak of more than 12" below the surface and that is why everything grows with buttresses.

As for the species in the photo we have no idea.

Many of the trees are from the Legume family so we do have a natural nitrogen production .

Our soils are very acidic about 4.6 ph.

jon12345

When trees do blow over are you going to salvage them and take it out of the 200 mbf total or consider them a bonus  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Dodgy Loner

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the chainsawing action if all the tree buttressed trunks.  Looks like it would take an experienced operator to fell one of those things safely.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

donald_harby

Some of the trees they have taken out were the ones that blown over. 
They just start cutting those buttresses and let them fall where they like.  It doesn't look safe at all.  But that is the way they do it. 
I am going through all my pictures now and will post somemore with comments. 

Thank You Sponsors!