iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help fixing a Echo 510.

Started by konrad695, July 27, 2007, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

konrad695

My father just broke his Echo 510 again.  Short story about my father-  He is a weekend cutter that is very hard on equipment (dull chain, old gas).  He doesn't have much money and sells the wood to help pay the bills.  He had just got the saw back for repairs on chain adjuster and starter cord.  Now his jug is bad, and he needs a new jug and piston.  Local dealer quotes around $200 for repairs.  Can anyone tell me what other Echo saw I can swap parts with?  My father will not switch brands or size of saw,and can't afford repairs or new saw.  So I'm locked into working on his 510 if I try to help him.  I would be happy to find a "fell off truck" saw with broken handles, but don't know what other models I have to work with.   If anyone can tell me other models in same group of saw,  or where to get new jug and piston I would much appriecate it.  Thank you, Konrad

Kevin

These are Echo service reps in Michigan, any one of these should order the parts or you can contact Bailey's our sponsor.

WOODSIDE HARDWARE, INC.
     86 WOODSIDE AVENUE
     ESSEXVILLE,      MI      48732     
     (989)892-6084

JOHN W. PUTZ HARDWARE, INC.
     201 SALZBURG
     BAY CITY,      MI      48706-5317     
     (989)892-2593

REX BINDER SALES
     1264 EAST CARO ROAD
     CARO,      MI      48723     
     (989)673-4367

NEUMANN'S SALES AND SERVICE
     560 SOUTH BECK STREET
     SEBAWAING,      MI      48759     
     (989)883-3390

TED'S HOME AND LAWN, INC.
     756 POSEYVILLE ROAD
     MIDLAND,      MI      48640     
     (989)839-9700

MAPLE HILL EQT.
     2672 N. EASTMAN
     MIDLAND,      MI      48640     
     (989)835-4205

K & C
     2466 EAST U. S. 23
     AU GRES,      MI      48703     
     (989)876-7816

TJ'S RENTALL INC.
     6832 MAIN STREET
     CASEVILLE,      MI      48725     
     (789)856-4404

KURT'S LAWN & GARDEN
     548 SOUTH SANDUSKY ROAD
     SANDUSKY,      MI      48471     
     (810)648-2250

THOMPSON'S HARDWARE STORE INC.
     30 SOUTH STREET
     ORTONVILLE,      MI      48462-0803     
     (248)627-3455

rahtreelimbs

Are you sure that the 510 jug is that gone that a simple hone job and new piston and rings wouldn't fix it???
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

konrad695

Sorry it took so long to respond, I wanted a second look at saw before I answered question.   Yes, the jug and piston are toast.  The jug has six deep scrapes and many scratches.  The piston mimics this with the rings firmlly melted/jamed into place.  I got the final story from my father on what happened.   He used gas/oil mixed back from March or April.  It was 87 octane gas from a station that contains 10% ethanol.  I'm thinking the saw had little or no lubracation, and he just ran it until it locked up.  I guess it's time to get a cylinder kit and put the whole thing back together.  Thank you for the interest and info.  Konrad

ladylake

Konrad   Make sure to take the carb apart and clean it good. Most likely plugged a little making it run lean. What color are the plug and piston?  Try watching on Ebay for a parts saw. I think a CS5000 would be the same but am not sure.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

konrad695

I looked at the piston and jug.  They looked clean except for the damage which was on the exhaust side.  There was no signs of anything wrong,  clean and shinny.  The plug, which I asked about, seems to be lost.  Could be my dad or repair shop??  I've been looking on ebay, but only searching for a CS510 narrows things down.  I was hoping for cross parts like you can find for a Husky 345, 350, 346.  I just don't know what I'm looking for.  I'll look into the 5000.  Thank you, Konrad

ladylake

Konrad  I just looked on partstree.com. It looks like the 5000 and 510 are different. $221 for a new shortblock for the 510, ouch. A few years back Igot 2 brand new ones from Ebay for just a little over $200.  I love those 510's . cut like crazy, light, and handle nice. The top of your piston should be black with some carbon on it. If it's gray or white it was running lean. The plug should be tan or brown.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jokers

Quote from: konrad695 on August 10, 2007, 02:10:21 PM
Yes, the jug and piston are toast.  The jug has six deep scrapes and many scratches.  The piston mimics this with the rings firmlly melted/jamed into place.
Are you sure that the scratches are deep and not just accentuated by wiped aluminum from the piston? I`d give it a very thorough scrubbing with muriatic acid and a coarse cloth, then an extremely thorough rinsing with plain water, then check it out.

The standard thumb rule is that any scratch deep enough to catch a finger nail is too deep but I have cleaned a few cylinders just as described on saws that otherwise would have been junk, put a new piston and rings in and the saws had a new lease on life. I`d try this on your dad`s saw before I bought a new cylinder or threw this saw away.
Quote from: konrad695 on August 10, 2007, 02:10:21 PM
I got the final story from my father on what happened.   He used gas/oil mixed back from March or April.  It was 87 octane gas from a station that contains 10% ethanol.  I'm thinking the saw had little or no lubracation, and he just ran it until it locked up.  I guess it's time to get a cylinder kit and put the whole thing back together.  Thank you for the interest and info.  Konrad
With old fuel the oil does not evaporate as the volatiles in the fuel will and the damage was concentrated around the exhaust port, hence ruling out your theory regarding lack of lube IMO. From the damage that you have described, your dad had a classic lean sieze since the damage is concentrated around the exhaust port, lack of lube would have wiped the entire circumference of the piston. What is said to happen to old two cycle fuel mix is that when the volatile components of the gasoline evaporate, some oils will no longer form a solution with the gas then causing insufficient lube based wear or seizure.

As ladylake suggested, your carb may be partially blocked which would have been a major contributor to a lean sieze especially since the carb was probably set right on the ragged edge of leaness from the dealer or factory. If and when you get this saw put back together, have someone who demonstrably knows what they are doing set the carb for you.

Thank You Sponsors!