iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table from Spaulted Maple tree

Started by getoverit, July 26, 2007, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I cut this SIlver Maple tree down at a friend's house a couple of years ago. I finally got around to sawing it up with the hydraullic band mill and after it sat in the back 40 for a while I finally got around to making a table out of it. One of my Nephew's wanted me to teach him about woodworking, so he was with me every step of the way and together we made the table from the rough cut lumber off of the mill. Hope I got it shiney enough  ;D

All in All, I had a GREAT time speinding time with my Nephew, and I am sure he learned alot about woodworking during the project. Thanks for looking!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Haytrader

Lookin good there get.
I so admire you guys with all the talent.
Your nephew now has a high standard to compare to.
Great job.
Haytrader

Patty

I really like the design Get. Nice clean lines and a beautiful finish. Is this table for you or for sale?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

metalspinner

That's really nice! The seams in the top boards blend beautifully!  Is that about 30"x48" on the top?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

OneWithWood

Getting ready to saw up a whack of soft maple that has set out for a couple of years.  You've got my hopes up.

Nice table BTW  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

getoverit

It is actually 42" x 57" in size. My nephew is using it as his dining room table. It seats 4 really comfortably. The top is made out of 4/4 boards that were 11 1/2" wide. They were jointed and biscuit joined together.

By the way, I had sawed this lumber up right when my back got to hurting really bad, so I didnt have the chance to stack and sticker it like it should have been. The saving thing is that we had a severe drought here during the time and it actually dried while it was dead stacked. Some of it had a really black mold growing on it, but I was determined to use it anyway. I'm glad I did !

I used z-poxy's finishing resin to seal the wood, then several coats of rock hard table top finish for the final finish. I use Zpoxy finishing resin to seal the pores in my guitar building before finishing also and I highly reccomend it for all woodworking.

Thanks for the kind comments!

WDH

I really like the tapered legs.  That is a fine table.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Very pretty table!  Looks like a Shaker-style.  You luthiers sure know how to make your wood shiny!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Nice table there young feller. ;)  :)

For a number of years I've been wanting to make a yellow birch table. I don't want a great big one.  I'm always looking for a small table to set stuff on.  ::) I want to build that pedestal table to, so maybe it will turn out to be a birch hexagon top with cherry pedestal and butternut edging? Hmmm  ;D I got this clock that needs a better home than synthetic cheapo hexagon cabinet my mother left here.  ;) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

getoverit

thanks again for the kind comments. I really had other things to do besides teach someone about woodworking, but after it is all said and done, I wouldnt take anything for the good experience I had spending time with my nephew. He is a young fellow, just married and not much furniture, so not only did it provide him a good learning experience but now he has something that will last for generations and something to remember me by when I am long gone from this world.

Dont give up on those awful looking boards that have been laying around neglected.... there's some beautiful furniture hiding in there!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Ken,

Beautiful table. Excellent workmanship and the finish looks like it's about a foot deep from here...

BTW, I used to live in St. Mary's, Georgia during the late 70's and early 80's. That's about thirty miles from Hilliard if I remember right...

Keep up the good work.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!