iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resharpening carbide

Started by RK Ron, July 26, 2007, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RK Ron

Hi Fellas,
I'm looking for a way to re-use my collection of used 10" carbide saw blades.  No, I don't want to send them out to resharpen- that's waaay too easy!  Yup, I want to re-sharpen them myself.
I'm looking @ a foley/belsaw "sharp-all".  They're website is the pits- still can't get a response and I asked for one in April...
Any reponse would be appreciated= even negative=(I'm an attention seeker)
RK Ron

Radar67

A flat diamond sharpening steel will sharpen them.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawwood

Ron for what you will pay for a sharping set up and not gitting them sharpen to the right angle you can send them out and have a lot of blades sharpen. I have a sharping
service here in KC and it cost very little to have them done. Also the time spent trying
to sharpen it your self you could be making something. Just my two cents worth.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

jrokusek

Try Ebay.  Search for Item number: 170133569763

Daren

Quote from: RK Ron on July 26, 2007, 05:43:16 PM
Any reponse would be appreciated= even negative=
RK Ron

The sharpall is not too accurate, and would be tricky for a "first timer" I think especially on blades with many teeth (24+). I have one, but don't use it for saw blades I have better tools for that (actually I have better tools for everything the 1055 does, it just followed me home and there it sets). I think back in the day it would have done a decent job on steel saw blades, but carbide are different. Ditto what sawwood said, I have a sharpening business too (local and mail in), so of course I am going to say pay someone else to do it  :D. Having said that I am the kinda guy who likes to do things myself and have spent hours tinkering with something that for $5-$10 a professional could have done right in a few minutes  ::).

I am just repeating what everyone else said I think, you have to use a diamond wheel and you can find the 1055 sharpall on ebay for $500-$600 pretty regular, most of the time with all the gadgets. That is where foley really gets you, the different fixtures and stuff, they are not cheap. My advice is if you are really looking at a 1055, don't buy a new one. There are 1000's of them out there used. They are a simple well made machine that is as good 20 years old as new. Sharpening machines depreciate about 50% as soon as you buy them (so you are out $500-$600 day one). Find a used one and if you don't like it you can always resell it for the same $ you paid. Just make sure you get the manual with it, or at least get one someplace.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dodgy Loner

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you get a diamond sharpener for carbide.  Nothing else will touch it.  I've got one of those "credit card" diamond sharpeners for my carbide router bits, and it works well.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

flip

Dad has, had, a fairly new Forrest blade that lost a couple teeth last night while I was cross cutting some 1/2 poplar, what can I do about that since we're on the subject.  Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Dodgy Loner

Is it still under warranty?  I'd get my money back.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

flip

Well, we bought it 3 years ago when he got the saw.  I pulled it out of the package 3 months ago and started using it.  Probably SOL for warranty I suppose.  No chip or nothing, looks like the braze or solder didn't bite.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Fla._Deadheader

Never hurts to go to the Manufacturer. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Daren

Quote from: flip on July 27, 2007, 02:06:38 PM
Dad has, had, a fairly new Forrest blade that lost a couple teeth last night while I was cross cutting some 1/2 poplar, what can I do about that since we're on the subject.  Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

I used to and some most sharpening shops can replace carbide tips. Remove the old one and resolder a new one in. If the manufacturer does not make it right, check around a couple shops that work on saw blades. I am just a small operation and I think it was like $1.50 to replace a tip...a guy out of state offered me $750 for my setup (assortment of tips, retipping fixture, solder...) I figured no more call than I ever got to do it, that was my best bet. Sell my stuff to him, I would probably not see $750 worth or retipping for a long time.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

RK Ron

Thanks Fellas-I see the light...  Won't be lookin' in that direction to kill time and money.  I'll wrap them up and ship them out.  Wow, that was close.
RK Ron

gary

I don't know how much a carbide tip costs, but I have been selling carbide for $10.00 a pound. So you might want to hang onto your old tips.

Thank You Sponsors!