Started by Tom, July 26, 2007, 12:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I don't know what he is doing yet.

Nailhead

might be the poles and floor for a deer stand, eh
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Tom

Yeah, or a high dive for the water hole he was trying to build the other day. :D

isawlogs

Might be a Furby stand .... !!!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I can bearly believe that deer.

asy

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe...

He's going to build a flying fox over the swimming pool so you guys can take target shots at a moving furby while he flies past, and see who can knock him into the pool! 

What do you think?

Oh, and, if that's NOT what it is, maybe that's what it should be!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

tcsmpsi

Well, let's see.  Given Jeff's penchant for artsy endeavor, I would say it is going to be a roadside, self-service point of sale device for his artwork.  Built high, as to solicit only the most serious patrons most apt to honor the self-pay system.    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tom

You might be right.  He deals only in elevated ware and surrounds himself with the highest of the upper crust.

Coon

Maybe those poles will be put up to hang up the long winded members at the piggy roast just so there's enough of a breeze flowing through the area. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

pasbuild

Maybe there polls for his signage so they can be seen in the winter months.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Jeff just called to tell me he found a field full of puffballs and one was 36 inches in circumference.   :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Wonder what them record size puffballs could fetch on e-bay. ??? :D

Furby

Yeah, it's a Furby stand and he claims it's gonna work.
Anyone wanna prove him wrong ??? ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Dat's Tammy pretending to be Jeff while claiming Jeff, I mean herself called......... smiley_headscratch
Ummm.....

thecfarm

Is he going to give the power company some competition?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

Maybe dems da arms for the Furby Launcher. :o :o :o
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawdust

that puffball puff dust is used in fireworks, when my brain gets over the heat I might even remember what it is called.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Husband

Be careful Tammy.....I got into all sorts of trouble using someone elses name ;)

My guess is it is a .....what the hell is a puff ball???? :P

farmerdoug

I think that if that 36" puff ball is ripe and you stomp on it you will think you are in hell too. :D :D :D  It is a fungus fruit/mushroom that grows in a ball form.  When ripe they go puff with their spores when you step on them.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

moosehunter

When they are white and firm you slice the about 1/3" inch thick and fry them with butter and Worstishire (sp) sauce.  digin_2
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

Where do you find the rulers with 1/3" marked on 'em  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

If Jeff were a Hoosier I would know that he is building a b-ball court.  But seein as he is now a weekend Yooper I'm thinkin those are poles to mark the cabin-to-be doors so he will know where to start diggin when he comes for his weekend getaway in January.  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

moosehunter

It's somewhere tween 1/4 an a half
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TW

Jeff.
That invention should not be posted on a public forum before you have the sales organisation ready and the supply organized. We here in Europe are much closer to the market so we can outcompete you before you have gotten started. and before you have gotten the first unit sold. If you pay me the prize of a sawmill, I will keep the secret, and otherwise i will contact accuintances in the wooden element export business on monday morning. They will surely pay me for "my" idea.

For those of you who did not understand, it is the foundation of a one family house for the English market. The platform is obviously the floor and the poles are there to keep the floor above water level. They will come in two versions with 4 and 8 m poles respectively. ;D

Timburr

TW, we're having a drought now; it hasn't rained for 1½ days. ;D
Sense is not common

Mooseherder

TW

Aye. Oswestry suffers from drought and is consequently a four metre pole area.

By the way. I feel really sorry for your flooding trouble but I am too far away to be of any help.

Timburr

Such dry repartee on a subject saturated with an excess of wetness! :D

Oswestry is quite relieved. We are on the foothills of the Welsh mountains, so we don't suffer from flooding, but I have great sympathy for those who do.  Why, oh why do our government boffins allow planning permission to build on flood plains?  A distinct lack of  common sense!

The only poles we have in our 'family homes' speak polish  ;D
Sense is not common

Furby

Well, it's not what I had thought he was building, but it still is a Furby stand and with some rails added, it would make a great place to camp out. ;)
Might have to give it a try sometime! :)

Jeff

Try it next week Furb.  You could set a tent up on it. The tent can be your rails.  You just gotta share it with the local cougar if she decides to stash his kills up there.  :)

Just caught a ride home and got lots to do. I'll post some photos later, but for now I'm burning daylight.

PIGROAST 6 more days!

asy

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 28, 2007, 12:19:45 PM
Jeff is building one of these for someone special. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIjjWXstjZc

OMG! Why in DAYLIGHTS is it that when you get four nutters with an ATV and a huge rubber band, it's the GIRL they test it on...   :-[

Please dont' do that to Furby...  Please...   :-\

Furby

Why not Asy ???
I actually had hoped that was what Jeff was building! 8) 8) 8)
;D ;D ;D

I'd say that girl has a pretty big "pair" for trying out that stunt! ;D

asy

Quote from: Furby on July 29, 2007, 06:33:48 PM
Why not Asy ???

'Coz I was worried about you.

Make sure you have some of Puhskolly's bikkies before you go on it. That way you can die happy...

Reddog

Puhskolly's bikkies

??? ??? :-\

Furby

asy

Aparrently...  :-\  :-*

Seems ya already tried to die happy...  from overcookieing.

Furby

Dat's my goal.............. die happy! ;D 8) 8) 8)

sawguy21

Quote from: asy on July 29, 2007, 06:14:45 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on July 28, 2007, 12:19:45 PM
Jeff is building one of these for someone special. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIjjWXstjZc

OMG! Why in DAYLIGHTS is it that when you get four nutters with an ATV and a huge rubber band, it's the GIRL they test it on...   :-[

Please dont' do that to Furby...  Please...   :-\

Because she is the only one crazy enough (or drunk enough) to get in the DanG thing. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

That was pretty much my first though as well, what did they slip her before hand. ::)
Take a look at the quad tracks though and you can tell they've done it before.

Jeff

Quote from: Husband on July 27, 2007, 01:01:09 AM
Be careful Tammy.....I got into all sorts of trouble using someone elses name ;)

My guess is it is a .....what the hell is a puff ball???? :P

Chris, I made a post here on our Giant Puffballs.  :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26901.0

Jeff

Tammy and I worked again this past weekend on the "project"  :)

Here is a more complete pictorial of what we have been doing.

Great Nephew Aaron and I skid cedar poles out to create the legs for our platform stand

THese are called "elevators"  Tammy got them for me for my birthday. Makes for creating an easy elevated stand. Designed for 4by4s but I used 12 ft cedar poles that I squared the ends with a chainsaw.

I Built the basic platform and secured the elevators to it in the cabin yard.

Hauling the materials to our property along with a couple bags of corn for the feeder. This was a heavy load and I got stuck crossing through the ditch onto the powerline. Had to unload it all and then load it back on.

Sticking the legs in and securing some temporary cross supports that I'll replace with longer stronger cedar poles. Pete and I tipped it up after that. It wasn't lite, but it was very doable.

20 minutes after getting on site, we had a standing platform and I began decking the top.

This is how we left the platform the first day.

Tammy and I building the stairs/ladder hybred.  I like to build them this way as it has the benefits of the wide step, yet you can still use the sides to hang on.

Beginning to build the blind with materials we sawed out of the "Furby log"

Hauling the walls to the stand.

I'll tell ya what, I was sore after pushing those walls up the stairs.

Tammy and I taking a break

The stand as we left it this past weekend.  Ready for some more sheeting a roof and windows. We had the windows all framed in and ready for the windows we found at the resale shop in pickford for $1 each. Each window disassembled into two horizontally sliding panes. The blind will have 7 windows, two on each side other then one on the door side which faces the steps costing a total of $4.  :)  We still need to install some more bracing to replace the temporary 1by4 braces. The roof will be steel. We have enough scrap leftovers from the cabin to lay together to make the roof.

Furby

8) 8) 8)
Looks like the guest cabin is coming right along! ;D

Gonna have a problem with the steel roof scaring the deer from the noise when it rains and such?

Jeff

They eat grass along the outside of outhouse so I doubt it.  Most rain noise is in a building or structure, not around it.  You step outside and it sounds like everything else that gets rained on.

Jeff

Actually Furby, it's probably bigger then many tents at 6ft square and a guy could stay in there. Good place to stay a a step or two above these critters I caught on the trail cam last week.  The bears have heard it is safe to come home as Jeff does not have a permit this year. ;D

These guys are still around too. They might want to join ya on the platform though.

SwampDonkey

You guys have been busy.  ;D

Looking down the line from the stand, is that toward the main road? Is the stand out of view of road traffic?  ;) Glass, hmmmm.....something to break.  pull_smiley

Nice looking ........ ........ bear. The coons reminded me of one dark morning I drove up the road to work. I seen several sets of eyes in a chokecherry bush as I approached with the car. Just as I got up close, a family of coons scampered across the road.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

That picture is looking down the powerline.  The road is the other direction. The stand is set back off the line enough that very very little can bee seen of it from the road. Just the edges can be seen past the spruce and mostly because the wood is so white right now.  Its about 600 feet back to the road.

ScottAR

Game cam....

My boss caught his neighbor cutting hay last year...  Pick #1 tractor goin'
across the field... Pic #2 tractor coming back... Pick #3.... You get the idea.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Dave Shepard

One of our hunters put up a cam a couple of years ago, I didn't know I had that many neighbors, nevermind all of theml walking through our fields. >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Looking good there,Jeff.Nice pictures you have.Is the town going to tax you on that house?  :D  Windows and all.No heat? I don't mind people walking on my land,but boy when people drive or even park on my land.....Last year my stepson thought I was going to get into a fight and came  out of the house to help me when the guy drove up to my house to say he was sorry after I told him to get out of my field with his truck at 600 feet away.  >:( And come to find out I knew him too,but still don't matter.I'm very fussy with my land.Park beside the road.It's a dead end dirt road here.I don't drive over it unless I'm working on it.Going to TRY to keep people out of the field this year.It's a struggle every year.Going to put my some ribbon frencing from the horses. At least I will know who has drove through it by the frencing in thier grill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

There will be heat when its needed.  8)
I have a little propane stove I kept in my old blinds. It helps keep you warm and can heat up lunch too. :)

OneWithWood

What is the grand of that critter cam?  Where did you get it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Its a moultrie and it came from walmart.  $99  It takes pretty good photos but is a battery hog. the rechargable 6 volt only lasts about 36 photos.  I see in Dunham Sporting goods they have a camera that takes 4 c-cells or an external 12 volt. Its about 20 dollars more.

Furby

I belive TSC sells a solar panel for the cams, not sure what cams they work with though.

Jeff

Here is where my "guesthouse" stands now. We got the roof on and much of the sheeting however I finally ran out of furby boards. HEY FURBY!  Got another pine log?  :)

Furby

Now that ya mention it............. ;D
Got four 4-5'ers in the 18-24" range, pretty DanG clear.  8) Been laying there since last fall. ::)
And a 12' half sawn one on the mill, been there since April or May if I remember right. :-[

SwampDonkey

Did ya run out of puff and steam?  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!