iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnolia?

Started by GW, July 24, 2007, 09:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

I think DanG may have told me this is Sweetbay Magnolia. These are in SW Georgia in the low, but well drained area that is our future pond site. The soil here is very sandy. Some other trees in the vicinity are Sweetgums, Tulip Poplar, Water Oak, Magnolia Grandiflora, Wild Azalea, and some Loblolly.

These trees are pretty common along one side of the future pond, and I'm thinking about leaving them to transition from the full woods to the cleared bank of the pond. Most are in the 25-35 foot range with trunks up to maybe 10 inches in diameter. Two images are almost the same except one had a flash and the other didn't. In one of them the undersides of the leaves look very pale and in the other one they look green. If you can't tell from these pics I'll get some more.

Thanks.

Dodgy Loner

DanG is correct.  That is a sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana).  They're beautiful little trees that produce sweet-smelling, white blooms all summer long if they get enough sunlight.  The silvery underside of the leaves is the diagnostic key.  If I was you, I'd save all of those trees that I could :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

GW

I just walked the eastern shoreline of the pond site and there are dozens of these trees. I want to gradually transition from the tallest trees to smaller ones at the pond's edge and the Sweetbay Magnolias will be the perfect mid-height tree. 

This one is closer to 12 inch dbh and maybe as much as 60 feet tall.

DanG

8) 8) 8)

I was all set to deny I ever said that! :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!