iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone familiar with Parker/VOAC controls?

Started by deutz4, July 22, 2007, 10:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deutz4

We recently purchased a used Franklin 632 w/Cranab loader. Naturally it came with no literature of any kind. I just cant get the controls to my liking. Everyone I've talked to gives me vague advice. The service manager at the dealership that originally sold it told me that the min. screw regulates handle response, Max. screw controls oil flow, and DON'T touch the ramp screw. I would like to get it set back to factory defaults and then adjust individual controls to my liking but any adjustments I make seem to have no effect. Any ideas?

Timburr

Welcome aboard the forum Deutz4

I used to have a manual for tuning Cranab IPS boxes, but have a feeling it was given to an operator in need many moons ago.  I can't give you factory settings offhand, but can help get you on your way.

Providing someone hasn't tampered with the 'Ramp' setting, proceed as follows...
Select a function and see which card lights up.  Rotator is good one to start with until you get used to tuning the funtions.  It doesn't damage anything when it goes out of 'control'. 
Wind out the max. screw so that there is about half the oil flow.  Unscrew the minimum (normally about 2 to 3 turns) and set the lever to where you want the funtion to start operating from....usually about ¾ inch of lever deflection. Nothing should happen now, unless something is drastically out of kilter.  Wind the min. screw in, until the function just begins to move, at the desired lever start position.  Your min. adjustment is now set.
Place the lever in full flow position turn the max. screw in until you have the desired function speed.  This is not always full flow, because in a multi-function scenario, some functions will be starved of oil (slow down).  There should now be a steady progression of flow between the 'start' and full flow poitions

The worms should be back in their can now.  If not, then the control resistors (base of levers and behind buttons) are dirty and/or out of adjustment and/or worn(likely), or the IPS cards are faulty (unlikely).  These are symtoms if one or more functions operate inefficiently. If all functions show some <*&^!~# then the ramp screw has been adjusted out of sync.....the ramp screw adjusts the oscillation/pulsation frequency of the voltage to the electro-hydraulic solenoids.

Iv'e tried to keep everthing relatively jargon free, 'cos I don't know your level of understanding.  Hope it's the info. you're looking for.  Good luck with it.

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

deutz4

Wow! I'm really surprised that the first response to my very first post comes all the way from England. This is the most detail I've had yet. I'll give it a try first thing tomorrow and let you know what happened. The Cranab is a very fast loader but unless I can make it move more smoothly I'm afraid she will see more weld than is necessary.
Thanks for the help.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the forum deutz4! We have members from everywhere but Antarctica, but you never know, the penguins might get internet somday...... ;D

Dave

edit:and trees, if this global warming keeps going. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

Actually Dave, we have a member that works in Antarctica. :)

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I figured that was going to happen Furby. How much forestry is goin' on down there?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

deutz4

Well Timburr, I tried your suggestions this morning with very limited success. I was able to set the minimum OK but don't get any noticable response on oil flow. (No guages, just by feel) It still seems that some functions go from 0-100% too quickly. It is set up identically to my last machine so by now (3 months) I expected to be smoother with it. I'm a little spooked to start diving into the joysticks. A guy I know had to replace one and claimed he paid over $2000 for it! 
My brother has the same controls on his processor but can do all adjustments on a display screen. Much easier.

Furby

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 24, 2007, 09:26:23 PM
How much forestry is goin' on down there?

Hmmmm.........
Not much at the moment, I hear they are preping for planting and soon as global warming gets into full swing. :)

beenthere

Might be a good idea Furby. I hear they are finding trees buried in Greenland, proving that we are in global warming. I just wonder how warm it used to be when those trees were growing once upon a time, and who caused that?  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timburr

Deutz4, I'm thinking, your next easiest step is to take your control levers apart for a clean and inspection.  This is not as daunting as it would seem.  They simply contain a sliding contact (connected to the levers) and a barrel resistor.  The pods (joysticks) seem to be condusive to collecting dirt....they are not good at keeping it out, plus the positive electric charge attracts it.  Clean the points and resistors with an electrical cleaner.  Clean everthing else with a cloth, vacuum or whatever.

Inspect the condition of the contact points.  The actual point's surface should be smooth and slightly convex.  They will work inefficiently if they are scored or dirty. I've had success by filing scored points, but you may wish to buy new.  I believe they are relatively cheap.

The resistors are critical.  Over time, they collect all sorts of debris between the coil windings, which plays havoc with the electrical signal.  Did I say clean and inspect!!  You can rotate the resistors so that the points run on an unworn segment.  If unserviceable, again new ones will not break the bank.

We used to periodically, out of due course, go into the pods, especially when the loader started behaving erratically.

Oh! By the way, the max. adjustments are sensitive!  Also, for diagnostic purposes of individual functions, the cards in the IPS boxes are interchangeable.
Sense is not common

deutz4

Thanx for the info, Timburr. I should take a look inside the "pods". I've never heard them called that. I likened them to mushrooms. I'm still not sure I like the design. I'm used to a stick-type handle. We're moving to a new jobsite in the next few days so I might have a little downtime to play with them. We also have temps in the 90's all week so I can't guarantee anything. Might be a good week to test beer brands!
By the way, " the cards in the IPS boxes are interchangeable " is greek tome. I have no idea what that means.
Thanks for your help,
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!