iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fish

Started by blaze83, July 22, 2007, 02:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

When do the fish eggs (roe) become caviar?
When removed and salted to taste, and the container labeled?

Had me wondering what 'row' was, for a bit there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

All you catfish conasewers  ;D .............whereabouts do you rank the flathead in the desirability for taste/flavor?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

flip

Smaller flat heads are good, we call 'em fiddlers.  Gut, knock the headsoff, skin and fry.  The bigger ones usually get cubed or steaked out.  The larger fish (15lb+) fish usually have a stronger taste.  I would still rather have early season crappie or a big fat red ear or bluegill.  Dang, now I want to go fishing.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

limbrat

I think there nearest relative is the chinesse paddlefish it has a round bill instead of a paddle shaped one. Like Norm said they have cartaliage instead of bone, but they claim there not sharks either.

I dont know when roe becomes caviar. I know someone who use to fish he was getting $65 a pound for them cleaned that basicaly just the egg sacks in a ice chest no market for the fish. (row) ya think i would have got it being under fore letters and all.  ;D
ben

limbrat

I put flathead or opelousas cats right on top. Were they do get musky after 15 or 20# other cats start in the 6 to8# range. the fillets on a 20# fish are good but the stomach wall is the best,Its very white no red or nerve meat and does not taste musky at all. But you got to get the stomach cavity lining off or it will taint it.
I also like that the big ones are more likely to take live bait like a 5" shad, hand size bream or skip jack so you have a good chance of catching one while fishing for big gar or stripers.
ben

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on July 24, 2007, 10:14:28 AM
When do the fish eggs (roe) become caviar?
When removed and salted to taste, and the container labeled?

Had me wondering what 'row' was, for a bit there.

Yeah sorry about that. But, I new you could figure it out.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

The salmon I caught fishing Lake Michigan were filleted and grilled with Green Goddess salad dressing.  Melt in your mouth.
The halibut I caught in the Bay of Alaska were steaked out and grilled with butter - best eating fish bar none!  We filled a medium cooler with the steaks and dry ice then brought it home.  Lasted about two months.  Haven't had such succulent fish since.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

One of my favorite fish meals is Spanish Mackerel baked (I guess, though they called it grilled) with a lot of butter and some paprika on it.  It's ala Morrison's Cafeteria, that defunct wonderful food place that was bought out by Piccadilly and ruint (ruined).

I was in heaven with the Spanish Mackerel fillets and egg custard for dessert.

Growing up, Roe was a delicacy.  We ate the row of Mullet (saltwater) and Speckled Perch (freshwater) as if it came from the Gods.  We also ate the roe of almost all of the other fish we caught too.  The roe of Bream found its way to the plates of the kids and the row of the bass went to the adults.  Some of the tastiest morsels I've ever put in my mouth were Perch roe and bream roe fried in bacon fat, especially when a big deal was made of it by the folks.  :D

There were people who ate "White Roe".  That's the gonads of the male fish full of milt.  None of me thank you.   I've seen it fried and the texture even turns me off.

OneWithWood

Morrison's - a blast from the past!  I worked the buffet line carving roast beef at Morrison's ( I think it might have been Morrison Bros back in '72) in Orlando.  Yep, that was the last year for Orlando, then Disney World opened  :(
But this is a thread about fish, not roast beef and definately not Orlando.  Remember McCoy AFB?  McDill in Tampa and McSomething over on the east coast?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thurlow

Us'ta LOVE Morrison's.  Closest one was about an hour away in Memphis;  country cooking at its finest.  There was a Red Lobster right across the street; it was good, also; we ate there (R L) every couple of years or so.  I NEVER came out of there without looking across the street and thinking that I could have eaten at Morrison's about 4 times for what we'd just paid at R L. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

I like halibut to, I had it out on the west coast. It's expensive here in the Maritime stores, $10/lb or more.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

If I had choice of fish in front of me to eat my first on the list would be White fish second would be white fish then Walley then trout after that ,most any would do .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pappy

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 22, 2007, 02:58:32 PM
:D
For Pan fish like trout, gut them and roll them in seasoned flour and fry in a hot buttered skillet. Then the bone just peels off and separates off the meat when you pull it. Thats living right there, just ask Pappy. ;)

YUP brookies from 6" to 10" just like MH said and done right stream side ,,, Holy Moly  Now dats fresh fish when dey curl  8) 8) 8) We do smelt the same way...

Land-locks I like to scale em rap em up in tinfoil with butter and onions and slow cook em on the grill or open fire for about 20 minutes uhmmmmm !!!

On the other hand a filleted Muskie fried up in a big pan with a couple sticks a budda and onions over an open flame is the best white meat I've ever eaten !!!!!  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!