iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thoughts of the Husqvarna 357 XP...

Started by jjmk98k, July 22, 2007, 12:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Hey guys.... once i get home from Iraq, I might be sniffing around for a new saw to add to the small collection. I have a 350 and 372XP... the 350 is good, but sometimes it would be nice to have a little more power, but not the bulk / weight that the 372 has.....

So I am looking at getting a 357 XP to kinda fill that gap.

Any thoughts or input???  I will stick with Husqvarna as I am familiar with them....

thanks, Jim
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Big Daddy

Hello Jim
First off Thanks for your service in Iraq. In all I have read the 357xp is a top notch saw. The Saw Troll is the one who can give you the in and outs on Saws of any make or model...
God Bless
Big Daddy

sawguy21

The 357XP is very popular with the tree  service people and silviculture crews here. Light and faaast once broken in. ;D Most go out with 3/8 chisel chain on an 18" bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

derhntr

I really like mine. Got about 20 hours on it.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

jjmk98k

Hum, so it would be a noticable upgrade from the 350????
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D You will notice a big difference. The 350 is a good weekend warrior saw whereas the 357XP is a hot rod designed for professional use.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jjmk98k

Hum, I am far from professional, but I am getting more skilled and I like good equipment......

Jim

SawTroll

The 357xp is a really good saw, the only thing I don't like is the outboard clutch, and the fact that the powerhead weights considerably more than Husky admits....

They had some trouble with the auto-decomp, but that is gone by now.

I opted for the MS361 instead, and never had any regrets - great saw - but I'd love to have a 357xp also (but not instead of)-just for kicks, and the fact that size of saws are very useful here......... 8) 8)

Bottom line, just get it, if you want it!!!!!!! :) ;D
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on July 24, 2007, 06:01:50 PM
The 357xp is a really good saw, the only thing I don't like is the outboard clutch, and the fact that the powerhead weights considerably more than Husky admits....
How much more does the powerhead weigh? What is your source for this weight? I don`t notice a big difference in weight between the 361, which is an awesome saw, and the 357 or 359 that also I own.

Another point for consideration is that the outboard clutch is viewed as a non issue by many, myself included. Husky has provided sufficient space around the clutch to simply drop the chain in behind it and the balance and stability of Husky saws when resting on a flat surface to hang a chain versus the shouldered bar studs and general instability of most Stihls when trying to fit a bar and chain makes me prefer changing bars and chains on the Husky. Another case of six to one, a half dozen to the other IMO.

jokers

Cut4fun

I own both the 357 and 361 and both were filled up with mix and bar oil and weighed at the Ohio gtg with 16" bars and chains. Bars and chains were same type, just made for husky and stihl mounts. Both saw weighed 17.5 lbs as would be used and witnessed by many. I also have pics for proof. Just to  hard to use this pic stuff here for posting. The fluids held by each are the same also, the husky might hold just a tad more of one, cant remember which one.
The balance and feel is the same IMO. inboard or outboard never has come into play with either saw for me.
Dislikes 357 chain tensioner the way it works and handle angle.
Dislikes 361 cheap plastic feel handle bar (reminds me of poulan wild thing handle bar) and the air filter set up.

WAGZ

I think the 357 xp is a great saw......has worked well with my log building.....I would also reccoment the 359 which is nearly a mate for the 357xp......the 359 has lots of power and very reliable......at a slightly lower cost ......
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

jjmk98k

Hum, I guess I know what i am ordering as soon as i get home  8)

I am so looking forward to doing some cutting / splitting when i get back.... i miss the simple things.
Jim

ComputerUser

372xp (20-28") and 357xp (16") would be a heck of a nice combo!  Definitely worth the upgrade.  Keep the 350 around, though, for a loaner saw or for non-saw people to use when lending a hand with your cutting.

RSteiner

I have an older 257 not the XP version, they didn't make an XP in the 257 back then.  I also have a 272XP, also an older saw.  The first saw I reach for is the 257, it is fast and light.

I have also owned a few Dolmar's in the past and when it comes time to replace the 257 I think it will be with the PS5100 Dolmar.  The Dolmar is light and is supposed to be fast, I think the saw revs around 14,500 RPM.

The 357 XP if it is anything like the 257 should be a good saw too.

Randy
Randy

outdoortype

Husky has provided sufficient space around the clutch to simply drop the chain in behind it and the balance and stability of Husky saws when resting on a flat surface to hang a chain versus the shouldered bar studs and general instability of most Stihls when trying to fit a bar and chain makes me prefer changing bars and chains on the Husky. Another case of six to one, a half dozen to the other IMO.

Russ,  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the shouldered bar studs & general instability of the Stihls.  It's a real pain to swap chains if you don't have a perfectly level place to set the saw.

jjmk98k

Sounds the the 357XP is a winner........
Jim

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on July 25, 2007, 06:56:14 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 24, 2007, 06:01:50 PM
How much more does the powerhead weigh? What is your source for this weight? I don`t notice a big difference in weight between the 361, which is an awesome saw, and the 357 or 359 that also I own.

Another point for consideration is that the outboard clutch is viewed as a non issue by many, myself included. Husky has provided sufficient space around the clutch to simply drop the chain in behind it and the balance and stability of Husky saws when resting on a flat surface to hang a chain versus the shouldered bar studs and general instability of most Stihls when trying to fit a bar and chain makes me prefer changing bars and chains on the Husky. Another case of six to one, a half dozen to the other IMO.

I partly agree, considering change of chains - the "stepped" bar bolts on the Stihls are not a good design, using 441 bolts will help though.
Swapping sprockets is much more convenient with an inboard clutch though, and so is taking the powerhead off a stuck bar..... :)

My sourse for thye weights are test reports by DLG/KWF.

Husky states that the 357xp empty powerhead weight 5.5kg vs. the the 5.9 found by the test team - while the MS361 weights 5.6kg, as advertised.
The choise of bars could change the weight picture though, and the difference is not by any means huge - some will notise it, and others not, I believe...... ;)
Information collector.

jokers

Hi SawTroll,

I only swap sprockets when they are worn out so I don`t find it any more of an inconvenience to run the clutch off and grease the bearing while I`m at it than it is to pry an E clip off without sending it into the next town, LOL. Yes, I will concede that the inboard clutch is somewhat advantageous at times, but pulling a powerhead off a stuck bar is never easy. The few times that I`ve done it the powerhead has always been right tight to the stem so there was no room to get slack in the chain. IMO this perceived advantage to an inboard clutch is academic.

It seems that corporate Husky is getting a reputation for underreporting their powerhead weights. I am not familiar with the bar studs used on the 441 as being different than those used on say a 361. If they are not stepped can you not use the same bar on both of these models or are the bar nuts and sidecovers different? Interesting, I wonder what the retrofit potential is?

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on August 04, 2007, 10:15:46 PM
....   I am not familiar with the bar studs used on the 441 as being different than those used on say a 361. If they are not stepped can you not use the same bar on both of these models or are the bar nuts and sidecovers different? Interesting, I wonder what the retrofit potential is?

Hi, Russ - the 441 bolts have a much longer thick section (surely adds some weight  :D :D), but they are still stepped.......

Btw, Husky doesn't lie on the weight of all their saws, just a few, and so does Dolmar, and even Stihl on a few ones - the 441 actually weights the same as the 575xp (acc. to KWF/DLG), even though the factory specs say the 575 is close to halv a pound (.2kg) heavier........
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on August 05, 2007, 03:41:49 PM
Quote from: jokers on August 04, 2007, 10:15:46 PM
....   I am not familiar with the bar studs used on the 441 as being different than those used on say a 361. If they are not stepped can you not use the same bar on both of these models or are the bar nuts and sidecovers different? Interesting, I wonder what the retrofit potential is?

Hi, Russ - the 441 bolts have a much longer thick section (surely adds some weight  :D :D), but they are still stepped.......

Forgot to say, the retrofit potential is 100% on the 361.   :)

Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!