iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ok..what WORKS on bee stings.

Started by XLIV, July 21, 2007, 11:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

They don't believe us Maritimers Ken.  ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

More often than not unfortunately all we can afford to treat hornet attacks with in these here parts is mud. :(
Lots of toys for working in the bush

ashes

Well this is old but on topic!

Dang yellow jackets are not too much fun. This seems to be a bad year for them in the pacific northwest at least as far as what I have seen. Can't hardly go a day or two without getting stung. The plan we are working on now you can't even look for the holes in the ground cause most of those don't have bees. The problem is that there are so many holes you stop looking...Next thing you know you are getting lit up. Today I was 50 feet from the truck at the end of the day and flagging some water. Next thing you know I am getting stung and I look down to see 15 on my pants. Luckily those pants are thick. Somehow the one that got me crawled into my shirt sleeve and made it to my elbow before stinging and biting me. Then proceeded to bite me the rest of the way out of my shirt.

Mud huh, I'll remember that! It seems like a good thing to know the way this summer is trending.   

enigmaT120

Weird.  Maybe all of ours flew south, as I haven't been stung yet this summer.  I usually get stung riding my motorcycle out on the roads, not up in my woods.  My wife was commenting last night that we haven't seen many this year.

Ice helps me, but it's usually not available when I get stung.  I carry around some Benadryl but I don't know if it really makes a difference.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

mesquite buckeye

Don't make any fast moves unless you intend to kill one. It just aggravates them and makes them more likely to sting.

I have stirred up africanized honey bees cutting up a hollow tree with other people there. Here I am right on top of them with them just boiling out of the log. The other guys are running around and swatting, drawing all the fire. I just calmly walk to the truck and shut the door. Yeah, a few did their full speed crash move into me, but I ignored them and just kept going. Not one sting. The other guys were all stung up. I had to go get them with the truck, as the bees were still making them dance. ;D ;D ;D :D :snowball: :D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Hilltop366

A friends 4 year old got stung by a wasp at my house a few weeks ago, she came in screaming and crying.
Her dad says got any lemon? I found some lemon and cut off a slice, almost as soon as he stuck the lemon on the sting she stopped crying and went back outside to play holding the lemon on the sting spot. Five minutes later I looked out and she was eating the piece of lemon!

SwampDonkey

I've aggrivated a coupe nests of them yellow fellers so far this year. No stings tough.

Someone in Ontario was stung to death recenty.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodboogah

I seem to run into the ground nests in the early fall.  I carry a bottle of children's liquid benedryl with me if I ever get it real bad.  I hate dropping my saw when I get stung, then I have to retrieve it.  I am terrified of ground wasps.  Not allergic just plain terrified, my wife thinks heretical.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

ashes

Well I'm not deathly allergic, but will swell up pretty good if they get me with a stinger. Never been hit on the neck though. I have been hit on the eyebrow and ear, and that wasn't any to much fun.

I'm pretty much terrified of them things at this point. I was joking with a guy I'm working with right now and said to him, is there anything out here that isn't sharp or poisonous. Our list wasn't all that long!

GAB

One summer I noticed a yellow jacket (I think) nest up in the tree behind the house.  Waited until dusk and used the 12 and some skeet loads.  2 rounds and they were history.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

ashes

GAB

That is what I'm talking about! I'd have to be packing a few boxes though, and with the 12, my vest would be heavy... :D

HiTech

Some say WD-40 will take the sting/itch away. ???

gspren

When bush hogging overgrown pastures I hit a few ground nests and "usually" the tractor is past before they are really stirred up but on your next pass if you see a bunch hovering in an area it's best to stay clear for awhile. Later I walk in carefully looking for a nest and give it a cup of gas.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DMcCoy

Never used WD-40 on a 'sting' but that stuff is the most effective bee killer I have ever used.  Spray the bees and they last maybe 20 seconds.  I no longer buy wasp and bee killer, the nozzles leak numbing your finger and WD-40 is faster.  It also knocks them out of the air.

I have used these bee sting kill- in small breakable capsules.  They seem ok.
http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Kill-Disposable-Swabs-5-Ea/dp/B000GCPWSC

However, I swell up in a major way so I carry Benadryl - it's an antihistamine.  Bee stings carry histamine - the reason for the swelling.  Benadryl tends to wipe you out and make you sleepy, so your best judgement.   

enigmaT120

That's my issue with Benedryl:  I usually get stung whilst riding my motorcycle and I don't know how spacy the stuff will make me before I can get back home. 

Hey I have to drive up to Banks Sunday, to spend the night at my buddie's house before we head east to Eagle Cap Monday to back pack for the week.   Now that I've typed all that I have to admit I can't remember the road he lives on.  It's northwest of town.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

howitzer

I always put mud on them because it's usually quite plentiful!

whitepine2

Quote from: DMcCoy on July 25, 2014, 10:07:24 AM
Never used WD-40 on a 'sting' but that stuff is the most effective bee killer I have ever used.  Spray the bees and they last maybe 20 seconds.  I no longer buy wasp and bee killer, the nozzles leak numbing your finger and WD-40 is faster.  It also knocks them out of the air.
Try break cleaner it will freeze frame them dead when they hit ground.Less than 1/2 the cost of raid even cheaper when on sale

Thank You Sponsors!