iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power feed assembly problems on WM Super 40 and LT70

Started by Duncan, July 20, 2007, 02:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

Problem:
Power feed assembly had worn out bearings on a friends 40 super at ~650hrs.  I just finished helping him rebuild it and replace the seized bearings this weekend.  After doing that I went back to my 70 and just happened to be moving my headrig around without earplugs.  I made a sound that reminded me of fingernails on a chalkboard.  I have not moved the headrig without earplugs in a long time and was suprized to find that my mill needs attention also.
The lt70 has about 680 hrs on it.  I was thinking that this is probably a little early for problems with the feed system bearings and was trying to figure out what was causing the issues.  I came up with the fact that both of us were running a 25' extension on the mills for the first 3-400 hours of operation.  Those of you who run long extensions have you had any problems with the feed system bearings or is this just an isolated incident?

Kelly
Kelly

MartyParsons

I do not know of any problems with the power feed bearings due to extensions. Lots of extensions out where you are are though. We have not sold many here in the East. If I hear of anything that may help I will let you know. Very rarley do we even sell a belt for the Super Power feed let alone the bearings. I do keep a shaft and bearings in the truck just in case. The LT70 has a direct drive Power Feed set up and the LT40 Super has a belt.  ???
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sparks

Most of the issues with early cam follower bearing wear is bad ground for the hydraulics. If the ground block, the rids on the lower welded rod of the main frame, is dirty the hydraulic circuit will search for a better ground. The first thing in line between the battery and the frame is the cam follower bearings. You can check this ground issue by taking a volt meter and putting one lead on the ground block and the other lead on the welded rod by the ground block. Run the hydraulics and you should have no more than 3/4 of a volt. We prefer 0.00 but that is next to impossible to get. If you read more than 3/4 of a volt the ground connection is dirty.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Duncan

Thanks for the information.  I will check that ground.
Kelly

Thank You Sponsors!