iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving logs- how big a loader?

Started by scgargoyle, July 19, 2007, 05:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

In preparing to harvest some of my timber, I've lined up a sawyer, but it will be my responsibility to move the logs and load them on the mill. So how big a loader would I need? The biggest tree (red oak) I've measure is 24" DBH; most are smaller than that. I'll probably make my logs a little over 12'. I don't know what a 24" by 12' log weighs.... Is there a better type of loader to rent for this? We're only talking 2 days of milling, so I don't need anything too big. I'll probably rent it for a week or so to push the brush around, too. Thanks!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Reddog

24"mid dia.x12'  oak is about 2400#'s.

There is a toolbox on the bottom left. It has all sorts of calculators in it for #'s and volumes.

toolbox

metalspinner

Have you considered parbuckling them up ramps onto the mill bed?  A small winch and a couple of 2x6's will do the job nicely.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

are the logs accessable? 

are you going to drag them to the mill, or carry them on the front?

Does the mill you are going to use have a hydraulic loader?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

What are you calling a loader?Tractor,truck or ?Probaly won't help,but I have a 40hp ford tractor that I feel should and have picked up the logs you have.You said only 12 feet.That makes a big diffance on weight compared to 16 footors that I have picked up.Go to the toolbox and find out how much the logs weight.Get the right equipment for the job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

Thanks for pointing out the toolbox- I never needed to venture in there before! The logs will be scattered around up to 300' from the mill set-up. but it's uphill, about a 12% grade. I'm going to have a portable sawmill come to mill on site, and he said  it was my responsibility to stage and load the logs. Basically, I'll drop 'em, buck the sawable stuff into 12' lengths, and move them to the mill. There's plenty of room to either carry or skid the logs; I'm more concerned about loading them on the mill. I'll be renting a machine to do this work, so I'll err on the big side.

PineNut

I have a JD 5205 48hp tractor with FEL. With my smaller logs, I place them on the mill with the FEL. I have loaded larger logs like 24 dia by 20 ft by using the ramps on the mill and using the FEL to roll the logs up on the mill. When loading the smaller logs, I roll them off the FEL manually as I don't like that uncontrolled roll off the FEL.

sawguy21

You are going to need good power to move 2400lb logs up a 12% grade. Can you rent a 4wd loader in your area? It would be a lot safer than a farm tractor with an FEL.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scgargoyle

With a good-sized city nearby, I'm sure I can rent whatever I want. I'm going up in a week, and I'll check it out. I wasn't really thinking farm tractor, but something beefier.

rebocardo

What about buying a log arch, a good length of chain or cable,  and renting a Bobcat to move them up the hill.  Basically pull them with the bobcat until they are close to the bottom, then move the bobcat to the top (don't have it on the incline) and pull it up the hill with the log arch. A few snatch blocks can make the job go easier.

Basically anchor the cable to a tree at the top, put a pulley on the log arch at the bottom, run the cable back to the bobcat at the top.

You should be able to pull a small log like that onto a trailer with a Bobcat.

scgargoyle

Sounds like a plan- but why pull them to the bottom? It's 700' away! The mill will be at the top of the hill; the logs just downhill of it- I'll probably clear close to an acre total, although probably not all at once. Even w/a bigger machine, a log arch would probably make life easier.

Thank You Sponsors!