iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's finally happening!

Started by DanG, July 18, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

As most of you know, I've been pecking away for a while, trying to get a house started.  Progress has been slower than I could ever have imagined. :-\

Well, a little window of opportunity has finally opened, as a couple of my friends got a sudden break in their schedule and offered to come over and help get it done.  Now these guys are experts at this stuff, and both of'em work like a rented mule!  John, the Contractor(same guy that has the big pottery kiln), was so confident yesterday that he had me call for an inspection for this afternoon.  Continuing in that confident vein, he ordered the concrete for tomorrow!  At that point, we were nowhere near being ready for the inspection OR the mud!

In this County, the inspectors always work the east side in the mornings and the west side in the afternoons, so we figured we had to work hard to make any kind of showing by mid-afternoon.  Imagine our dismay when he pulled in at 10:30 this morning! :o :o  It turned out that this guy was totally cool!  First thing he looked at was the temp power pole.  I figured it was going to flunk because the meter box was too high.  The guy that built it must have planted it six feet down, and I only put it at four.  I had it in the hole before I realized the problem, but couldn't get it out again without help. :-\  Anyway,  the inspector guy told me to put a pile of dirt around it, and he slapped a sticker on it! :D :D 8) 8)  Then he started looking at the foundation, where we still had at least a  half-day's work to do.  He couldn't believe how stout the thing was being built.  He saw how things were being done, and said he didn't have to worry about this one, so he signed it off, too! 

As it stands right now, I got 3 concrete trucks pulling in at noon tomorrow!! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Congratulations on the start. 8) The only part of building a house harder than starting is finishing the house. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

Wow!  I hope you didn't have any plans these next few days. :D  Great news!  What a cool inspector you have.maybe he has a brother up my way in the same biz?

Of course, withoput any pics to prove it you could be just pulling our legs. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DanG

Yer just gonna hafta take my word on this one.  Taking pics was the LAST thing on my mind today.  Maybe I'll do better tomorrow, but I ain't making no promises. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

DanG was near hunnerd degrees today DanG! smiley_sweat_drop

sawmilllawyer

Dang, yeah probably won't get no pictures of the concrete trucks neither. Oh well, the housing adventure begins, fare thee well. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

brdmkr

Well, I'll be.... There is a saying about snow if July or something like that.

Congratulations!

I suppose I'll have to find some time to get down there and be supervised.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

rbhunter

Congradulations on the start.

I am impressed by the inspector. He found a easy remedy for one problem:
"Anyway,  the inspector guy told me to put a pile of dirt around it," and "Then he started looking at the foundation, where we still had at least a  half-day's work to do.  He couldn't believe how stout the thing was being built.  He saw how things were being done, and said he didn't have to worry about this one, so he signed it off, too!  " he looked at how things were being done and could judge from that how things would continue.

It is good to hear a good story about an inspector.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Haytrader

Wait just a DanG minute. I insist on heppin with that mud.
Nothing I like more than pouring concrete, especially when the temperature is a long way from freezing.
;D
Tell ya what. Just go ahead and start without me and I'll be there with hand trowel in hand just as soon as I can.
:D

P.S.  Hey, what ya going for? Husband of the year??
:D :D
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

smiley_clapping

Way to go Dang. The fun begins.  :)

Having fun yet?  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Qweaver

It was about this time last year when we finally got our concrete work finished and I know how you feel.  Will it rain, will the forms hold, can I get everything done in time, have I done everything that I should...worry, worry, worry.  But it sure feels good when it's done and the real building can begin.  Good luck with the pour, I'm sure you've got it with no sweat considering all of the good help that you've got.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

DanG

I've about poured enough coffee down my neck to get me through the morning, so I gotta go out and cut the last few sticks of rebar. ::) :D :D :D  As soon as I tie them in, we'll be ready for trucks. 

Qweaver, there are no forms to worry about...all of it is bank formed.  I'm not worried about the pour.  It WILL go well.  The "no sweat" comment ain't gonna happen, though.  It should be about 95 by noon! :o :o

bedway

Something tells me Dang and his friends are gonna be nurseing some sore backs tonight ;D,,,bedway

Radar67

You have me envious now DanG. I was planning to start my foundation this week, but plans changed.

Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress over the next few weeks. Also expecting a guided tour after Moultrie this year.  ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

OneWithWood

Ain't no turning back now  :D

Congrats, Dan.  The journey and the fun have begun.  I can't wait for the open house party when it is finished.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

Now the work really begins  ;) ;D  I'll bet there's more than just sore backs getting nursed/consumed tonight  :) ;D ;D :) :)  Concrete work tends to create a super thirst  for smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Come up here, DanG, and get a foundation ready to pour on my place so that it will rain for weeks ;D.

The fun begins :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Slabs

Dang DanG

I was hopin to put some elbow grease into that project but CANTHOOK has me busy on a rental fix-up tomorrow.  Oh well, maybe when the temperature goes down.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

badpenny

Good on ya, DanG. 8) 8) Glad to hear things are rolling along. Remember, no pics, didn't happen. (We do like pics, eh) My trusses were set in place two weeks ago, and I am still working on shingeling the last half of the last side of the roof.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

DanG

My beard, my toes, and everything in between, hurt!  But, we got'er DONE!  28¼ yards of mud went into the ground.  The first concrete truck didn't arrive until after 1pm, so we were guaranteed a hot time.  It was 100 degrees by the time we finished.

First truck is in...

They were still getting the concrete pump going at that point.

People working.

That's me all bent over in the hole.  FF member and Son-in-law, James_G was our nozzle man for the pump.  The guy in the funny hat is Ben, and John is wearing the sawed off bibs.  A man has never had better friends than these! :) :) :)

Second truck was a front-loader.

A view from the southeast corner, with the porch footer on the right and the house footer down the center.

The slab in the middle is to support the stairwell and the loft that will bridge across the living/dining area.  We poured it solid to serve as a little root cellar and safe room.  The inside dimensions will be about 3.5'x12'.                                                           

pigman

It did happen. 8)   At least you did not have to do a lot of concrete  finishing in the hot weather. Did you get the footer below the frost line? :D

Jeff

And ta think, I knew that spot when it was just a hole in the ground. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

I cut pecan just behind that hole.  Well, I suppose the work has begun.  Or ended if DanG is as sore as I would be after that.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

I'm sure proud of you Dang.   Y'all  made it happen. 8)

sawguy21

Quote from: pigman on July 19, 2007, 10:36:54 PM
It did happen. 8)   At least you did not have to do a lot of concrete  finishing in the hot weather. Did you get the footer below the frost line? :D
DanG don't know about frost lines. :D The first step is the hardest, don't stop now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

What do you  mean "don't stop now".  Me and woodbowl and bunch of us from around here have been hog-tying him to keep him from making us look bad.  He got loose!!

DanG

Yeah, I know about frost lines.  Ours is about 400 miles north of here. ;D

I forgot to mention that we ran out of mud with about 10 feet of trench to be filled. :-[  We had figured the concrete closely, according to the plans, but neglected to consider that the trench walls had eroded a bit, so it took more concrete.  James G scooted into town and grabbed a few bags of Portland, while I dug out the mixer and fetched some sand and gravel from the piles.  We mixed 6 half-bag loads and toted it over in the loader to finish the job out.  We were then ready for the signature. :)

Husband

Hey Dan, when ya done there how about coming down under for a crash course on the way we do it! 
Its simple, we promise beer and food after....man I never knew I had so many freinds. ;D
Bring the piggy roast table though, Tom might have to help you with it to get it on the plane ;).

Looks good. Keep going. More pics!!

Don K

I'm proud for you DanG. You've started down a sometimes   ::)  long road, but a good road none the less.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pigman

DanG DanG, mixing concrete by hand in that heat was worse than finishing in the heat. :o  Be carefull young man, we are too old to be doing that kind of work in extreme heat. :)

Bob

badpenny

Ok, saw the pic's, so it really happened. Again, good on ya DanG. 8) 8) Sure is a good feeling to see the first steps taken, eh? A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step, and now that first step is taken.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

OneWithWood

You are right about those friends.  It takes a special kind of person to volunteer to help pour concrete.  Good idea on the pump.  I remember dragging wet mud down a shute to get it to the far reaches of a foundation.  No fun at all.
Have you started sawin' out the framing material?
One With Wood

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TexasTimbers

I'm happy for ya DanG. You don't get friends like that unless you're a well-liked feller, and ya don't  get to be well-liked feller unless you're a purdy DanG good guy!.

you know what they say . . . . Good thangs happen to good DanGs! :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Looking forward to more pictures.What's next to do?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Lookin good Dang ,  8) 8) 8)

Now is this gonna be putting the ride north in jeopurdy ???  It bloody well not ..... ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Naww Marcel.  After the last few days, I won't be up to doing much else before late Augember or early Septober.

Cfarm, next step is about 800 blocks for the stem walls and piers.  Thankfully, we can take our time with that.  We're not on any kind of schedule here. :)

Hey, thanks for all the kind words, guys!  This has been a slow process, so far, but I'm fired up and ready to move forward now.  BTW, they hooked up the temp power today, so I'm running real short on excuses. :-\

Dave Shepard

Quote from: DanG on July 20, 2007, 09:50:01 PM
BTW, they hooked up the temp power today, so I'm running real short on excuses. :-\

Don't you just hate when you run out of excuses? That's when you have to pull out the top secret procarstination tools. :D

I was always told the journey of a thousand miles started with a flat tire.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Well give me a call when ever you run out of excuses as I am dang good at finding some . I can call dat boss of yours and give her all those excuses in Français , She never know what hit her um .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

OWW, I'm gonna buy my framing lumber.  It just isn't practical to cut it myself.  I can buy good ol' SYP from a local mill, all kd and stamped for very little more than I'm getting for rough sawn SYP.  I'm also working on an arrangement with Coastal Plywood to pick up my sheet goods directly from their plant in our County.  Most everything else will come from my mill.

Dave, this journey did indeed start on a flat.  I've had those trenches dug for well over a year.  That they held up so well is simply a testament to good soil.  I probably could have gotten away with ten yards of concrete, but would have spent the rest of my days worrying about it.  As it is, I know two things for sure...it ain't gonna blow away, and it ain't gonna sink! ;D ;D  That knowledge is worth a lot more than I paid.

fat olde elf

Congrats on the beginning !!!! Ten years ago right now I was midway through our current abode....Moved in in December 1997...Built the place to sell, couldn't get the wife out of here with a stack of dynamite now, I guess we'll stay for a while...My inspectors turned out to be my best friends on the project, they kept my subs in line....... You really have fun, don't you ? DanG good job............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

DanG

Thanks fat! (I can call ya "fat" can't I?  Somehow, FOE just doesn't seem appropriate. ;D )  You're right, I do have fun.  I think it's the only thing worth having.

I hope the inspectors ain't too hard on the subs, as the subs is ME!

sawmilllawyer

Dang, Dang, pictures posted of concrete trucks and all. Looks great, Looks straight, Looks like a running start.  After pumping and finishing that much concrete you and friends deserve a much needed break. My back aches for you.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses here for any future construction delays "(procrastination); but you can't do anything for while cause crete gotta cure. Just don't want to mess up any green concrete here with to much activity, now do ya?
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

OneWithWood

DanG, I certainly understand the framing lumber buy.  The only thing I found harder than the concrete pour was the block laying.  I am sure you are doing bunches of sit ups and 12oz curls to get ready for that.  ;)
One With Wood

Blake22

Good to see some progress going on in Gretna.  ;D You need to take some of that red clay over there and make your own bricks. DanG I think you might be tellin a lie on that 100 degree temperture, it had to be at least 110 that day.
Blake

DanG

I ain't too worried about the block laying.  The trouble with the concrete was that it all had to be done at once.  With 3 trucks coming at 45 minute intervals, it was a mad scramble for about 3 hours in the hottest part of the day.  With the blocks, I can work at my own pace on my own schedule.  I don't give a hoot if it takes six weeks! ;D

Blake!  Where ya been, buddy?  You need to visit yer Uncle Bill, ya know.  'Course, he's on the wagon right now, so you'd hafta spend happy hour over here. ;D :D

JAMES G

now that I got my computer behaving {was using the wrong size hammer} I can tell about how upset I was about working on Dan's job site.

1.dan spent most of his time walking around with sunglasses on and a walking cane pointing where he wanted the mud something about coolhand luke and the walking boss.
2.we were not allowed to test drive the concrete trucks, dan said that was his job  >:(                                                                                                                           3.when the job was done dan said he would buy all of us a round of beer. and he did one beer to be shared by all of us :)

Dan_Shade

did he make you carve a bottle opener from a chunk of slabwood?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don_Papenburg

I hope that round was at least a 1/4 keg ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DanG

You think I'm that cheap, Shade?  I bought the good stuff in the easy opening cans. ;D

Dan_Shade

where's the sport in that?  I thought you florida guys liked to abuse family to extreme levels by making them construct their own utensils! (I guess you could always do that next time)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Sometimes ya have to sweeten the pot a little bit.  Not to worry though, when we start framing he's gotta bring his own lumber. ;D

JAMES G

jokes aside dans good people and truth be told it was Linda who sat in the lawn chair and ran the show

DanG

Thanks James!  That was a nice thing to say, and I appreciate it. :)

You still gotta bring your own lumber though, and don't forget the nails. ;D

Furby

How many rounds did it cost DanG to get you say that James ???

Thank You Sponsors!