iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rabbits in garden

Started by semologger, July 18, 2007, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

i am open to try anything to get rid of them any suggestions. they have eatin have of my tomatos. next year i will be trying the upside down method of growing things. but until then. any help guys

farmerdoug

A neighbor hangs moth balls in mesh bags in her garden.  Says it works great but rain will dissolve them quickly.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

chicken wire

box trap + potatoes + carrots + celery + onion

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

rabbits is good eatin'
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

They are a real nuisance here. A lot are Easter presents turned loose after the kids get tired of taking care of them and the beggars are over running the market gardens. Robert, .410s are frowned on in urban areas. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Woodbender

We've had plenty of problems with the varmit critters.  Best thing we found was a roll of "rabbit fence" (yes that's the name) or someone said chicken wire.  Seemed to stop most of them.

If they DO get in the fence though they bed down and breed.  No mercy mate - kill them young.  I have a vendetta against them - we eat out of that garden all year as Theresa (my better half) puts up a LOT of food out of that garden.

Also it is good to have a teenage son who is good with a compound bow.  He has standing orders to shoot any rabbit within our 6ft yard fence. Last year he took out 5.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

bull

rabbits in the garden means stew in the pot. or a caserole w/ mixed vegetable...... U,mmmmm rabbits

thurlow

We were never allowed to eat rabbits 'til after a killing frost, because of wooves under the skin.  Some folks insist they're not harmful;  maybe we were just weak-stomached.  ;D  There's also the very real risk of rabbit fever (tularemia).  Coyotes pretty much wiped out our (cottontail) rabbit population in the last 20 years or so. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Fla._Deadheader

Trust me, you DON'T want Tularemia  :o :o :o :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thurlow

I take it you've heard............2nd or 3rd hand.........about someone having it.   :o
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

submarinesailor

Now I understand why my father wouldn't let us shoot a rabbit before the first frost and only if we had seen it run or it was running.  I Googled "tularemia" and found out that the Russians used it as an NBC warfare agent during WWII and the US experimented with it during the 50's at Ft Detrick.

FDH – sound like you may know a lot more about it.

Bruce

Fla._Deadheader

I actually had it,   twice, in Arkansas, from Tick bites. It's a cross between Malaria and a deadly high fever.

You shake so bad, an inch of water in a typical drinking glass, will shake out the top before you get the glass to your mouth.

The fever, in my case, was 106° for several days. Took 4 months to get back to ANY labor type work, the first time. Massive doses of antibiotics are NECESSARY.

Massive sweating will ruin bedsheets from antibiotic stain.

NOPE, y'all DO NOT wanna get "Tick Fever-Tularemia". That's also, NOT the tick borne disease of the Northeast USA, Lyme's. Whole nother thang.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WDH

Miss Scarlett don't cotton to rabbits.  Dogs help.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

johnjbc

This is how I keep them out of my garden
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

semologger

ya thats the reason why i havent shot them yet. but come season time i will be eatin some bunny. i was shooting the 22 this afternoon and hittin qaurters .
i have got my dogs one is a good rabbit killer i found a rabbit the other day with its head gone. my other dog is a lab 9 months old so he is learning to use his nose pretty good. i was on the job last week and a buck ran across the road am i told him to get it. well he found its sent the only prob was its were the deer came from.

i guess i could put my lil sisters teacup yorkey out there he weights 4 pounds now that would be funny.

how big of garden do you have looks pretty big. mine looks pretty small to yours.

thanks guys

thecfarm

Rabbits,what do they look like?Been so long since I've one around here,I hardly know what it is when I see one in the road dead.Which is not often.My father use to have a beagle dog and would hunt rabbits.He really enjoyed it.Than they all disappeared,he gave it up.Must of been about 30 years ago now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I'll send ya .some. We got more than enough. :D Apparently, rabbits were unknown in Australia until the Brit colonists introduced them. With no predators they multiplied rather quickly. Same with starlings over here. DanG Englishmen. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Handy Andy

When I had trouble with rabbits in the garden, I got a crossman bb gun.  When I saw one, I'd take out the screen, crank out the window and lay the gun out the window.  Then about 6 pumps and I'd shoot them in the head.  Just fell over, didn't even kick.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!