iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salvaging a Barn for timbers cost effective?

Started by bigshow, July 18, 2007, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshow

I have been offered a bunch of timbers.  Problem is, they are currently in an approx 35x60 barn that is still standing.  I went and looked at it yesterday.  Its mostly 6x8 and 8x8 - posts and lower beams/girts look good - cant tell about top plates.  But, the task of taking it apart to me would appear to be more costly than getting new.  I'd love to re-use, but I suspect the machinery, manpower, time would eclipse any cost savings.  That being said...am i wrong?  can salvaging be cost effective?
I never try anything, I just do it.

Jim_Rogers

One of the many things you have to consider when making decisions like this is what is the strength of these salvaged timbers.
Are the rotten?
Take an ice pick and try and poke into one of them.
You'll soon find out if they are solid or not.
Also, who's going to strip the frame?
If you are, are the boards painted? with lead based paint?
Who's going to be responsible for disposing of these boards?
I have a friend in my area who takes down barns for people and he can get from $6000 to $12000 to take a barn down, depending all a lot of circumstances.
When you go to reuse these timbers, are you going to use them in a house or just an outbuilding.
If they are going into a house, will they pass inspection?
In my area, the lumber grading agency will not inspect and grade stamp salvage timbers, because they don't know what kind of stresses have been placed on these timbers over the years.
As you know it's a visual inspection and it's hard to see internal stress cracks that could weaken a timber.
Something for nothing always has a price.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

bigshow
For additional info, go to the thread
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26080.0

and look at the photo's linked at a Walgreens site or the one showing the gin pole erected to raise the bents.
Craig Rooster, who masterminded the raising of the bents, said this same pole was used to lower them when he took the barn apart. I'm guessing that is standard procedure rather than having to remove standing frames piece by piece.

I did note that there were several timbers that were spliced with new wood, and several blocks laying around that were decayed and not used in the raised frame. I would suspect most old barns had neglected roofing, so water damage and decay would be one of the biggest problems to contend with.
Jim Rogers had good info, as I see it too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigshow

yeah...i was just looking for some really compelling reasons to seriously consider salvaging.  I own no heavy equipment.  You'd have to be suspended above the roof via a crane to remove the shingles and whats left of decking.  only the center the of the barn can be walked on...all the joists underfoot are rotted.  the foundation is barely there.  It would be very dangerous to do without the ability to use machinery with long reach to get it to a point where the frame was totally exposed.  I had a faint hope i could've gotten enough to build a garage with...but, i'd blow thru the cost of 'new' timbers in days with crane time and help to strip it down to the frame.  And, i had no idea how huge the thing was gonna be.  One thing though, the frames in my area are all super, ultra massive.  Smallest post i've even seen in my area is a 10x10.  This barn is all 6x8 posts, and it looks nice and robust.  I was beginning to fear that my design using mostly 8x8 posts, 8x10 and 8x12 top plates would look lethargic.  Another thing, is this barn was built very weirdly.  like the braces...one side is mortised and housed, the other side is a nailed butt joint.  So, i'd also be worried about all the metal in these as well when planing them.
     For me, the lead paint would be an issue.  But in my area, i dont think anyone cares about that stuff.  A guy was outside sandblasting his old house down the block the other day - i know it has lead paint, if not several layers.  I dont agree with being able to get away with that stuff at all...but it seems no one cares.  I see asbestos cement siding being torn off and thrown in bins all the time.  We had an asbestos abatement crew come in and remove a building on the campus where i work.  Guys had their space suits on, but they didnt have respirators on and were just taking forks from a bobcat and raking off the siding.  The plastic to tent off the building was rolled up along the perimeter of the building, but never erected - just ridiculous.   thanks for the input thus far though.....
I never try anything, I just do it.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!