iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did I do O.K.? Husky 55

Started by Jeff, April 04, 2003, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I bought a husky 55 today, looks good runs great, 2 extra new chains, plus It came with another 56 inch head saw for me 6to cut up. ;D

This saw has a compression release. We have a 51 at work that does not. Anybody got an idea if I payed a fair price and whether the 55 is a decent saw for my utilitary purposes?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

QuoteAnybody got an idea if I payed a fair price
Did you want to share that information with the group?   :D

55 will serve you well Jeff, now where's the chaps and hat?

Jeff

I have been taken before. And also looked foolish before so no prob.  :D  
I figured the old headsaw was probably worth 30 or 40 bucks minimum so that brought the saw cost down to 160 or 170. yea, I guess I'll be needing some chaps. I do have a hat though. I got it for Christmas from Tom. Its very functional.

Kevin

SawInIt CA

I have an old 55. I have never had a problem with it.

Ron Scott

A good buy; they're near $400.00 new. Husky is discontinuing that model this year I guess. Maybe replaced by the 353 with improved emission standards.
~Ron

Jeff

I looked for a new bar and chain for my saw in Mt. Pleasant tonight. Nobody handles Husky. I looked on the oregon bars and could not find one that mentioned it fit a 55.

I am not a chainsaw guy. What do I buy?

Tillaway

Any Jonsered dealer about?  They should be able to fix you up.  Also most Stihl dealers out here will carry bars for Huskies.  If not then order online with Madsens or Dennis that posts here should be able to fix you up.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Kevin

What pitch is your saw Jeff?
It is available in 3/8"or .325".
http://www.husqvarna.com.au/node234.asp

Jeff

I dunno. It takes a small file compared to the one we have at work.

Kevin

Check this out ...
http://www.madsens1.com/Oregon2.htm

Are there any numbers on the chain, did you get a manual?

Jeff

No manual,

I'll dig up my reading glasses and go out and see what I can find on it in the morning

Rob

Jeff,

If your gona be buying online I would say go to CCD in New York they have the best deals around on chain you can get a 20" loop of Oregon LG for $9.95 thats the best I have for yet,they carry everything including bars,wedges,chains etc etc..

Later Rob.

Kevin

Jeff.
Check for any numbers and letters on the bar as well.
You should contact Husqvarna for a manual.

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Most of the Husky 55 Rancher's that I'm familiar came with a 3/8" pitch chain. Ebels up in Falmouth just north of you is a large Husky dealer. Give them a call at 231-826-3333; talk with Paul Ebels for needs or service.

Many of the loggers in this area get their saws and service there.
~Ron

jokers

I`ll second what Rob said about CCD. If you go there or call them, ask for Patty and tell her Russ sent you. Not that it will get you any special treatment but Patty is sharp and you`ll probably have a good laugh or two at my expense.  :D  Russ

Jeff

Well, I broke my saw in, at least to me, tonight. It took a .325 chain. I bought a new 18 inch bar and chain this weekend at lowe's.

I may look like North Dakota here when I'm done. What is it about having a chainsaw that make you want to cut your trees down? :D

Kevin

Cut all those tags off the camp property and plant something to mill.  ;D

Jeff

We plant trees 2 to 3 hundred trees every year. Two years ago we planted Black Ash. Its doing great. Already some is over 15 feet. Problem is the ash borere will probably, eventually get up to da U.P.

Minnesota_boy

Jeff,
You need to use that saw to cut a barrier zone to stop the migration of the ash borers.  Maybe a hundred mill wide barrier will stop them.  It will keep you and that saw busy for a couple of weeks cutting such a barrier. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

johnjbc

Was in Lowe's this weekend and noticed Husqvarna saw display. They had a 55 Rancher with a 18" bar.
Remembering this, thread I ask for a quote. Told me $349
 :P :P
My Poulan Wild Thing  with 18" bar does all I need and only cost $100 from Harbor Freight   :D ;D
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Hov34

I am in the market for a new saw (mainly because I don't have one) and have narrowed it down to the Rancher 55.  Wanted to stay under $400 but wanted a saw that wouldn't struggle with all the cedar on my property.  This cedar is the toughest wood I've ever cut, not that I've cut that much wood...

I have been using my father in law's Craftsman saw - don't get me started...  

I bought the saw at Lowe's today $385 w/ tax - haven't taken it out of the box yet.  Now I've found it on line for $292 total at http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm I mean it's $100...

Does anyone know if this is a reputable place or would you advise purchasing a saw online?

Thanks for any advice and all that I've learned in reading the past 3 months worth of posts...

Mark M

I have never dealt with them personally but they have been around for a while. I order a lot of stuff on-line and wouldn't hesitate to order a saw from this outfit. I checked them out with the Better Business Bureau and there are no complaints. You can view the report  at:http://www.phoenix.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=21006518

As for the Husky saw I have 2, a 141 that came with my Dovetailor jig and a 345 that I just got at Sears. Someone had returned it so I got it for $179. It did not appear to have been used and the only thing wrong I could see is the cover over the air filter was a slightly different color. I also have a Stihl MS260 Pro that is a little bigger but the 345 seems to out-cut it.

Good luck

Mark

Jeff

I really like my 55, and I thought I got a good deal, but after I bought a rewind a new bar and a chain, I wasn't much under that 300 dollar price, but if you throw in the 56 inch rusty headsaw blade that the guy through into the deal I guess I'm still cool. (Although I see another 150 dollar plasma cutting bill in my future!)

Hov34

Update:

Well, I got my saw today (ordered it Sunday evening online and it arrived Thursday morning via Airborne-Express).  $292.50 delivered to my door.

After about an hour of wrestling with the bar and chain - didn't get the whole chain lock thing till I took it apart - I played a little and let me tell ya...  Either that Craftsman I used before was the biggest piece of junk ever, or this Husky is the greatest saw ever...  I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in-between.  I was very impressed with cutting up a down cedar and taking another dead one down.  Cut through the trees like butter...  

I'm off tomorrow and get to really play!!!  Can't wait...

Thanks to Mark for the BBB link and again to all the other suggestions and opinions in all the other posts.

Glad I found this place...

Thank You Sponsors!