iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas Cans

Started by Dugsaws, April 03, 2003, 08:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

Mobile sawyers, how do you carry your gas or diesel to the jobsite gas cans small steel tanks  plastic drums etc just trying to get an idea
Doug

ohsoloco

I usually either toss in the 5 or the 2.5 gallon plastic gas can in the back of the truck when I'm sawing somewhere else.  My mill has a 2.5 gallon tank, and the 20hp honda rarely uses up all the fuel in a day of cutting...but I usually average about 600bd.ft a day of 4/4 lumber.  

One time while cutting at home I ran out of gas about halfway through the very last cut  >:(   Didn't have any other cans full, so I had to run to the station just to make a 4ft. cut  ::)

biziedizie

When I got my mill my brother in-law bought me some plastic cans full of gas as a present and that's what I use. Now I'm just waiting for him to bring some cans of diesel by for the tractor!

Steve

Minnesota_boy

I used the detatchable tank from my mill for years until some critter decided it liked to eat gasoline filled plastic containers. I patched the hole, but it still leaks while carrying so I just leave it on the mill.   I felt it kept unwanted volunteer sawyers away from the mill as it had no fuel.  Now I carry a plastic gas container.  The one I like was made by rubbermaid, squatty can with a wider bottom, nearly impossible to tip over while bumping over the rough ground, but I can't find another like it and I don't think it will last much longer. >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

I have always carried 5 gal of gas and a gallon of chainsaw gas.  I make a habit of putting my fuel, extra water, spare tire, on the back or the truck before I hook up the mill.   I try to always have everything I need.  More then once I have gone for a log or two and spend a whole day in one spot.  Here it is often a long way to a gas station for fuel.  I fill up my truck on the way home and top off my tanks so I do not have to do it on the way to the next job in the morning.
    ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

BBTom

Shortly after getting my mill, I bought a spare fuel tank.  I fill it up with diesel and throw it in the truck along with a spare 5 gallon plastic jug of blade lube.  Once when sawing over 2000 bdft in a days time, did I need to switch tanks before the end of the day, but normally just change tanks at the end of the day. I leave my saw on site at times, (when it is well hidden), so I just have to fill the empty tank and am ready to go for another day.  The 42 HP kubota seems to drink in small sips instead of large gulps.   8)
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

ohsoloco

Don't forget to bring extra belts with you.  I was on a job once and the drive belt popped off in the middle of a cut.  Luckily it didn't break....cuz I didn't have an extra, and didn't know what kind it took.  I called Norwood the next day and they told me the belt size....the local Napa had one 2-3 times cheaper than Norwood was selling them.

Kevin

DanG

Good point, Kevin, but the bulletin was inadequate to the point of irresponsibility. ???   While it is entirely true that the plastic liners, or any other insulated surface will spawn static electricty under the right conditions, and it is true that static can ignite fumes, the article implies that it is ok to fill a gas can in the back of the truck without a bed liner.  You should ALWAYS put the can on the ground to fill it, because the truck bed will fill up with fumes, which are heavier than air, making your truck bed a serious hazard until it is cleared of fumes. Static is not the only thing which can cause ignition. :o

Of course, this doesn't apply to foresters or sawyer/telephone man types, whose truck beds would probably benefit asthetically from a good explosion, if they could manage to contain a fume, to start with. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

For my 24 horse onan on the woodmizer, I carried a 20 gal drum, that was originally intended for mineral oil.  I syphoned from it until I realized that it would be much easier to store it on its side and gravity feed the gas through a valve in the 3/4" bung and through a plastic hose that would reach the ground where I put the fuel tank.  Prior to this I just used 3 portable fuel tanks.  I like the drum concept better because I am not tied to the filling station quite as tightly.

Now that I'm using Diesel in a 38 horse Kubota,  I have a 55 gal drum laying on its side with the same valve and plastic hose arangement.

These drums sit in a frame I made from 4x4's.  Two parallel to the side of the truck and two Nailed on top at right angles to form a trough that the drum sits in.  I've never had one move but considered strapping them down for awhile until I saw how stable they are.  Straps would still be a good idea, I just haven't done it.

When carrying bulk like this it is a good idea to manually empty the drums every once in a while to make sure that you aren't accumulating a bunch of water.  If the drums are tilted just the slightest little bit toward the center of the truck, they will hold a lot of condensation water without it getting to the valve to get out of the drum.

Kevin_H.

I'm with BBTom, I bought an extra fuel tank for my WM as well as an extra water tank. seems to work out the best for me.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

LeeB

even without a bed liner ,you should still put the can on the ground. static can't dissipate through rubber tires. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CHARLIE

Tom, strap that tank down! While it may be stable while driving normally, you don't need all that fuel all over you the road and everywhere else if you happened to hit something that would cause you to stop more sudden than you were prepared to....if you get the drift. :o  When you come to an unexpected sudden stop, the things not fastened down just tend to keep going. :-/  Strap it down......
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Fla._Deadheader

My engine is mounted a little higher than the fuel tank. I plan on using outboard motor gas tanks. They even have a "primer ball" for pushing gas to the carb after changing tanks.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dugsaws

I carry mine in 5 gal containers also as my tank is not detachable, but sometimes i feel like i am the only one who does this,I am glad to hear i am not the only 1 now  thanks
Doug
Doug

Jeff

I was surprised to find upon a safety inspection of our mill that the plastic cans are illegal in our commercial mill and that we must use steel cans. DanG me, but I argued the point and the safety man agreed with me but for the life of me I cannot remember why he said the plastic cans had to go. (we still are using them. ::))
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

supposedly the plastic can cause static elec while filling and then explode from the spark. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mark M

I have plastic safety cans that we use for heptane in the lab. They have a metal tab for attaching a ground wire. The hand-crank pump, barrel, and safety can are all connected with the ground wire. If you place your plastic tank on the ground (even cement) when filling you should be safe.

Mark

PS - I used to think it was silly grounding plastic, but static electricity doesn't need a good conductor to flowl. Just rub a plastic pipe and a piece of glass tubing together and see what happens.

Minnesota_boy

Contrary to Hollywood, gasoline is not explosive.  It is quite volitile and flamable, so you can get a nice fireball, but not a true explosion.  It requires a fuel-air mixture between 9 and 15 percent to ignite properly, which is why you get engines that don't start because they are not choked enough or too much.  If the safety man says explosion, tell him it isn't nitroglycerine in that tank.

chet

Minnesota_ boy I have to differ with you, are you familiar with the term BLEVE. Very small amounts of flammable materials are capable of tremendous explosions.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Minnesota_boy

Yep, I took a course on firefighting propane.  It still isn't the same as nitroglycerine or TNT, but the blast is quite impressive.  

Jeff

A mechanic at a shop we used to use said he cleaned his hands with hot gas. I said HUH? he said yep, heated it on the electric stove in the shop in a double boiler. I never saw it done but I don't think he was kidding.  I have never tried it. I'll stick to Sportsmans bar hamburger grease.

Tom

I'll bet he uses (used) a match to see how much gas was in the fuel tank too. :-/

Jeff

Our fuel man said he would much rather haul gas then diesel per risk of explosion. He posed that question to me one time. Would you rather throw a lit cigarette at a pan of gas or a pan of diesel. (Stupid question but he asked)(stupid conversation for that matter :D) I was surprised that he would have picked the gas. He said that the diesel fumes were more volatile. dunno.

ohsoloco

My brother and I were talking about lighting gas a while back (for some reason).  When he was in Desert Storm they were burning (something...don't know what).  He wanted to see if his cigarette would light a pool of gas, so he poured some out, puffed on his smoke, and flicked it into the gas....the cig. fizzled right out in the gas.

Tom

ohsoloco

Tom, was that gas or diesel   :D

Tom

Sometimes it doesn't matter. :D

If you're going to blow yourself up into little teeny weeny pieces, what difference does it make what you use. :D :D

chet

Jeff's comment about heating gas on a stove, reminds me of a terrible incident that happened in our local comunity about 30 years ago. A little girl was severly burned over almost her entire body including her face. She was in her pajamas, they where litteraly burned off her body. It seems the father was boiling a carberator in a pan of gasoline on the kitchen range, resulting in the terrible incident. That little girl is my sister-in -laws sister.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Haytrader

You guys are starting to get off the topic so I might as well help.
 ;D
   Several years ago I left my hired hand instructions on how to clean some grease off of a truck transmission in preperation of removal. I was going to be out of town most of the day. I told him to use a scraper and brush to put deisel on it and just to stay after it.
   When I returned that afternoon, I was flagged down and told my guy was at the doctors office. I imediatelly went to the docs office and found my employee with burns on his legs. After he was attended to and settled down he was able to tell me what happened.
   Seems the deisel just wasn't getting the job done on the grease removal so he switched to gas. Getting bored with the whole thing, he decided to attack the red ant den nearby. He took the 5 gallon gas can with him. He poured some gas down the hole and then decided to pour a circle of gas around the den. Then his sign really started showing... ;D
   After pouring the circle of gas, he sat the can inside the circle (where he was) and struck a match. In the split second before match met gas, he realized that the gas was not in a very good spot.........so he tried to kick it out of the way. And as Paul Harvey says,,,,,,"And now you know the rest of the story."

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Tom

ohsoloco

dail_h

BLEVE
   Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion
   Generaly takes quite a bit of fuel,but always makes an awful mess
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

dail_h

Hey Tom,
Was that Brother Dave Gardner? If so I haven't heard from him in years
      Volume Discount At ER

chet

Dail_h the opperative word is generally,   :-/   I would hate to be injurred or killed by the exception.  

Tom

dail_h

DANG<DANG<DOUBLE DANG >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(#$$%% $%%^%% *&^#@   durned computer did the same thing to that that it did with Paul's flying logs .If that was about raisins I'm going to be really mad,might say bad words,probably stomp my foot,may even say SPIT! ;D ;D ;D
      Volume Discount At ER

Thank You Sponsors!