iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need TSI - How do I locate a Forester for 150 acres near Huntsville, Ontario?

Started by Nant, July 15, 2007, 11:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nant

Hi all,

I would like some advice from forum members.

I have about 400 hardwood maple between 14" and 20" in diameter at the 3' level above ground. The largest have trunks that are about 60' and then a crown of say 25'.  I have been told this part of the woodlot was last logged in the mid 1950's. There are other species but the majority (more than 85%) of the larger trees are maple.  The other half of my 150 acre woodlot was selectively harvested about 30 years ago so the trees, with a few exceptions, are smaller.

The next growth is also primarily maple with 8" to 12" trunks about 30 feet before they crown.  These are very numerous.   

I am thinking that I need to do some TSI but am not sure how to go about it.  We have been having some weather issues the last few years in Ontario (like a lot of other places).  I am concerned that between the wind issues and the ice storm issues I am going to loose a lot of trees like some of the other areas near by.

How do I locate a reputable forester in my area?  I think I need some professional help to establish a TSI plan.  None of my friends or neighbours have any experience with a forester.  To the best of my knowledge the neighbours have just had fallers come in and high grade their bush.  Of course with prices low at present and no immediate need for the money, I don't see any reason for hurried action.

Any suggestions on how to establish a relationship with a local forester?     

Nant

WAP Man

The Ontario Dept of Natural resources WEB page has a link to Private land Management  which has quite a few Private woodlot associations listed on it.

Also being a Downeaster involved with Hardwood Mangement since 1978 , I have been a huge fan of the management techniques used in Algonquin park. I have never been there however I have friends who have. Some one there may also be able to assist you.

Ontario must also be a Provincial Registry of Registerd Professional Foresters for the province

Good Luck
Wap Man  :P

Pullinchips

I can offer no help on your problem, but something that did cause some question in my mind is that if frequent ice is a problem, once you thin a stand and the most prone trees to breakage removed to lessen damage, you will  get even greater ice damage after a thinning compared to if nothing was done.  By removing these ice prone trees you help some but when other trees are removed they no longer support each other and are more prone to breakage and windthrow, this may be something to consider and bring up to a forester in the area and see what his suggestions may be, this may be to leave it thicker than normal since you don't need the money and are concerned about the breakage.  Also like mentioned the local government should have a registration or licencing board that you can pull some names off of.

-NAte
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

SwampDonkey

Like Nate says, the risk to ice damage is greater when opened up. But, sugar maple is a lot stronger than say yellow birch. I saw a woodlot with a high component of yellow birch get trashed by ice. Worst damaged were removed. The next cold season another ice storm came and destroyed the rest. The lot was then clearcut.

We get ice a lot here and I've never seen our local maple get broken down, even on sugar bush that is managed to be more open to increase crown. Mostly was goes down is birch, aspen, fir...short lived trees. Yellow birch is the exception, it lives much longer, but prone to ice damage.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Johnson

Nant

I would suggest you check out the following resources:

Ontario Woodlot Association @www.Ontariowoodlot.com from what I've seen their website contains a myriad of information and contact numbers for private wood lot owners.

You could also try Mike Walsh-Stewardship Coordinator-Ministry of Natural Resources Bracebridge Office 707-646-5530, I do not know if there is a stewardship coordinator specifically for the Huntsville area but most MNR folks are helpful and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction.

Finally, you might try the Sustainable Licence holder, which I believe is Westwind @ 705-746-6162, again, they may not be able to assist you too much but may be able to provide contact numbers or recommendations for you.

Good luck
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!