iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Oak

Started by Dodgy Loner, July 15, 2007, 10:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I was over near Stone Mountain earlier this week, and I came across a pretty neat little oak that I've yet to see anywhere else in the world.  Anyone know what it is :P?

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Jeff B was playing the odds on that guess :D.  Yes, it's deciduous, but I was hoping for something a little more specific ::).

It's hard to get an idea of scale from that picture, but the leaves are too small to be Nuttall oak.  They're only about 3-4 inches long.  Besides, I've seen Nuttall oak in lotsa places, including one 63" DBh and 130+ feet tall at the White River NWR in SE Arkansas :o.  Unfortunately, no pictures to prove it :(.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Lanier_Lurker

I'll guess Quercus lyrata.

Dodgy Loner

Naw, it's a red oak.  Think granite outcrop (ie, Stone Mountain) rather than river bottom.  Haven't heard from you in a while, LL.  Good to see you around again!

WDH

I bet it is a ............what state are your from anyway, DL ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Same as you!  WDH has picked up the proper scent again.  But then again, with a bloodhound in his picture, he should be able to trail just about anything ;)

SwampDonkey

I'm going to say.........hmmm.... smiley_lit_bulb

cherrybark oak  Quercus falcata var. pagodifolia

;D

Now go identify my woodlot weeds. ;)  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Can't y'all take a hint ??? ???.  What state is Dodgy Loner from smiley_huh2.  He just told you it was a red oak.........................If A=B, and B=C, then A MUST = C :D ;D ;D.  Don't y'all remember your geometry ::) :P.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

It' s an Athens zoo Red Oak growing on Stone mountain. ...in the shade of Lee's hat. :-\

Dodgy Loner

I'm not aware of such an oak, Tom, but the national champion of this species is indeed located in Athens.  Don't worry, WDH, surely somebody around here can think of something a little bit rarer than Nuttall, cherrybark, and overcup oaks...

WDH

I don't know, DL ???.  I am a poor clue-giver it seems.  If A=B, and B=C, then A=C doesn't do it, then what is a poor Georgia boy to do when it comes to oaks???

Tom

Quercus lyrata   An Overcup oak.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

It appears that the boss-man knows how to take a hint! ;D

According to Brown and Kirkman's Trees of Georgia and Adjacent States, Georgia oak (Quercus georgiana) is "restricted to a few localities in the state, primarily associated with granitic outcrops in the Piedmont."  I think Stone Mountain falls under that description ;).

SwampDonkey

You guys never had a trees professor that tested your knowledge with false hints?  ::)

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 18, 2007, 06:09:57 AM
You guys never had a trees professor that tested your knowledge with false hints?  ::)

SD,  I am hurt to think that you think that I would think to give out false hints to this fine group of thinking dendrologists :D.

Texas Ranger

Yeah, and it took a Georgian to come up with a new species that is a red oak stunted by that granite rock it is trying to grow on.  Shoot, even the lizards carry bottled water on that rock.

tcsmpsi

That's alright, Don.  Those Georgianianians, might have a bit of a quandry with photos of the Acer grandidentatum from the canyons out around Vanderpool.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dodgy Loner

Rest assured that the leaves of the Georgia oaks growing on the mesic soils of the UGA campus are similarly stunted. ;)  It's actually more closely related to water oak than to northern red oak :P.

Texas Ranger

Yeah, but probably stunted by excess moisture there, from beer drains. 8)

WDH

Yeah, TR, that was a tough one.  Not very common.  OK, DL, the challenge is to come up with some stuff that is more ubiquitous :-\.

tcsmpsi

Ahhh....but what is Life without challenge?

smiley_divide
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!