iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NY forest facts

Started by redpowerd, July 15, 2007, 04:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

after reading brad s's thread on ny sawing, it reminded me of this article i read in st. law county ag news, witch in turn reminded me of the forestry forum, and i thought id share it.

-new york has more forests than any other state in the northeast. with 18.6 million acres of forestland, thats nearly an acre for each and every new yorker.

-new york state is 62% forested, an increase of 23% since 1953.

-private landowners control 85% (about half a million people own 14.4 million acres) of forestland. the forest industry controls 8%, and the public lands account for 7% of the total acreage.

-the average private forest landowner parcel size is about 30 acres.

-in ny, over 1.47 million acres of forestlands are tree farms, 2,285 individuals are tree farmers.

-the forest products industry is among new york's leading manufacturers, it employs over 60,000 ppl and contributes to $3.7 billion to the states gross product.

in the year 2000, the value of shipments of forest products from ny totaled nearly $9 billion. value-added products such as Christmas trees and maple syrup generate an additional thirty million annually to new york state

RESOURCE: empire state forest products association, u.s. forest service data and forest connnect  2007 educational letter series.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

Great to see you on here, Redpowerd! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

thanks buddy, good to talk with you too.
got a bit of a lull in the haymaking, so i decided to poke around here a bit and see whats happening!
place looks great, as allways
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!