iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salmon are here!!!

Started by fuzzybear, July 15, 2007, 10:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

The first salmon of the season are moving through.  Another week and we will be setting the fishwheel and nets for this years harvest. 8) 8) 8)  I've got 3 grizzleys snoopin around on the back channel, so hopefully they will stay there instead of trying to come across to the island.
   Now I HAVE to get the nets fixed, repair the smokehouse and set up the drying racks. We will harvest around 400 salmon in one week. It's around  15000 lbs of fish. This will be divided between the family and the elders who can no longer fish. The left over will be sold to locals who do not or cannot fish.
   We use every part of the fish and waste nothing. The guts go to the dogs to fatten them up for the winter. We also use guts for the gardens as a natural fertalizer. The spine, and tails are dried for the dogs in the winter. And the heads are for FISH HEAD STEW.  8) 8)
All this and only 2 more months till WINTER >:(
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Paschale

Are these salmon from the Yukon River?  If so, the word on the street is that this is some of the best salmon around.  Those fish swim about 2,000 miles to get to their spawning grounds, and so they've got a high oil content that makes them richer than their cousins.  I heard about this salmon on the news, and apparently it's the hottest new thing in restaurants here in the States. 

And you've known about 'em forever!   ;D  Good luck with the salmon--I'm envious!

Love to see some pictures of your set up...and the grizzlies!

Yukon River King Salmon Link
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sawguy21

They are moving up the Fraser as well. I am only a 15 minute drive from what looks like a good spot to try for them. This should be fun. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

That's about 40 lbs each on this side of the border. I would like to see some pictures too.I haven't seen too many drying racks.What's a fishwheel by the way?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think the crown reserve season starts today on the Upsulquitch River, a tributary of the Restigouche. One of the few rivers left around here that you have a decent chance of hooking an Atlantic. With all the rain, the water should be good this year. I like going down to the ledges and having a look at the sow salmon swimming there like pulpwood sticks.  ;D The water is clear as spring water and just as cold.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

as soon as I get things set up I'll post some pictures.  It is a very busy time of year for us up here. Winter is literally  just about 2 1/2 months away. After fishing Kings, I have to hunt a moose and caribou, then in early October I have to fish for Dog Salmon.  This is what we do year after year. With summer so short and the days so long there still isn't enough time.
   THECFARM.... If you do a google search you will find alot of info on them. It is basicaly a 16' diameter wheel with nets that scoop the salmon up and drop them into a holding pen.  You build it on a raft and attach it to the river bank with guy wires. You empty the holding pen by boat at least 3 times a day.  Some days you empty it for hours on end because you catch them in a huge run.
   The most we ever caught in one day was just short of 400 salmon.  Dog Salmon record was 523 in one day. I was setting a 50' net by hand from the shore and it just kept filling up every time I emptied and reset it. Every ones fish cash was full and the dogs ate very well that winter. Up here we eat dog salmon as well. It is a dry salmon, not as much oil. And you split the head and throw it into a frying pan and eat...eyes are a delicasy. ;D
   More to come I promise
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

olyman

fuzz---me thinks the meat be good--but eyes--tails--and spine------nnootttttttt!!!!!!!!

leweee

I hope those three Grizzleys don't tell there friends ;D

Bears Gone Fishing
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Stump Jumper

fuzz how did the fishing & hunting go ? did you get enough supplies for for the winter?
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

moosehunter

Quote from: fuzzybear on July 16, 2007, 12:28:37 AM
After fishing Kings, I have to hunt a moose and caribou, then in early October I have to fish for Dog Salmon.  This is what we do year after year.

" I have to hunt moose and Caribou " he say's!
Boy I would love to be able to say that! Maybe I could come help you next year!
I'm envious
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

semologger

I have only had salmon 1 time. if ya want just send a couple few pounds this way. ill send ya up some possum real good trade dont ya think.

TexasTimbers

Hey fuzz I am envious. Sure wish i liked cold weather I know I would move up there. I do not understand what you mean by drying the spine and tails. What kind of nutrition do the dogs get from it there is not any marrow in the tail and none to speak of in the spine if any at all so what's the deal here I know there is some value in it or it would not be done.

Quote from: fuzzybear on July 15, 2007, 10:36:05 AM. . . The spine, and tails are dried for the dogs in the winter.  . . .
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

isawlogs

My thoughts are that the slamon is fileted and there is meat left on the back bone and also on the tail end ... these are dried and fed to da dogs . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!