iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Importing lumber from Canada

Started by OneWithWood, July 14, 2007, 06:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

It looks like the only source for the clear red pine I need is going to be coming from Canada.  What are the requirements for bringing kiln dried lumber accross the boarder?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Might find something here.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/international_agreements/canada/

I know on this side we need an export permit issued by the MLB (I think), which may be asked for at the port of entry.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Why clear red pine.  Can't you get clear SYP?  (southern yellow pine)

SwampDonkey

Red pine has a pretty small natural range and it's about the same area in US as in Canada. I know it shows red pine all over NB. But, it's not naturally occurring all over New Brunswick. It's natural here to sites with red clay, high in iron, red soil. In my area on the west side of the Saint John river, it's all been planted.

I'm wondering why not SYP as well, and no border hassles.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

How much do you need?  Chet might have a source, he has in the past I know.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

My customer is restoring an old building and wishes to stay as close to original as possible.  The original wood is red pine.  If we cannot find any to fit the bill or if it is priced out of reach the next choice would be SYP or Poplar. 
How close is SYP to Red Pine?  I know very little about hardwoods and even less about softwoods  ???

Jeff, go here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25954.0

I thought of Chet first but he did not reply to my post so I figured he either did not have any of the required size and grade or he was too busy.  I hear he is a very busy fella these days.
One With Wood

TexasTimbers

OWW I can provide you with some red SYP. You want gloss, semi-gloss, or flat. ??? :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

:D :D :D

Perhaps just good old barn paint would do. :D

You are a funny guy  ;)
One With Wood

Tom

Shortleaf sounds like, from descriptions I've heard before, it might be a fair match.  The problem is that there is no distinction made in the  market of the four Southern Yellow Pines.  You would probably just have to go through a stack of lumber and look for some that matched your project.

Jeff

Chet's not had time to read much lately so I am sure he missed your original post. I'd shoot him a message just in case he has some on hand. He gets some mighty fine red pine up that way. Best I have ever seen.  Since your both coming to the pig roast...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!