iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta get used to this heat while working.

Started by Modat22, July 09, 2007, 08:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I'm trying to saw enough lumber to build a barn with loft on my property and was doing my danged best Sat and Sun. But despite my best efforts, I only managed to saw six 6x6's and twelve 2x6's total Sat and Sun. Those 6x6's pretty much kicked me in the tail after manually loading and manually stacking. I'd load one and go to stack it, get cold chills and goose bumps, go in the house for awhile to cool off and go out and start on another till I felt bad again. toward number 6 I was going in the house every 20 min or so.

Looks like I need to exercise outside to force myself to handle the heat  >:(
remember man that thy are dust.

Robert Long

Modat 22

Look at it this way.......It gives you more time to spend on the forum :D :D :D

Robert

jpgreen

Heat kicks my butt too.  I've got to build a roof over the mill. I usually work early til noon, then come in and sleep and then back out in the evening.  At least our evenings always cool down.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

tcsmpsi

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Modat22

My normal job is a sit down in AC type, I don't get to do the desert nomad thing till the weekends  :D

Trent

Stay away from the AC until you are ready to quit for the day. Sit in the shade on breaks. Drink plenty of water. Never cut six 6x6! It just don't sound right.
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

Modat22

Quote from: Trent on July 09, 2007, 02:44:37 PM
Stay away from the AC until you are ready to quit for the day. Sit in the shade on breaks. Drink plenty of water. Never cut six 6x6! It just don't sound right.

No wonder I got hot.

Dave Shepard

As long as I've got enough 4° bands, I like 20°F just fine.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logwalker

Sounds a lot like you were getting dangerously dehydrated. Load up on the water starting the night before. If you are thirsty then you are already too low. Be careful when your body is trying to tell you something.  ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Radar67

One way to be sure you are drinking enough water...you should have to "go" at least once an hour. Oh, you can drink too much water. :P (tea and sodas and barley pop do not qualify as water)

Here is a good site to learn about heat injuries and the first aid for them.

Heat Injuries

Stay hydrated, stay cool, and keep making sawdust.  ;)

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

mike_van

It's not like you have to get the hay in before it gets wet - No 6x6 is worth heat stroke or worse yet dying over. There's better air coming [to new england anyway] by Thu / Fri.  Start humming "O Canada", maybe they'll send down one of those artic blasts they were so generous with a few months ago -  :D :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Modat22

I'm one of those wierd people that like freezing weather. Its easier for me to stay warm than for me to stay cool. Its drives my wife crazy when I'm working outside in the snow with a sweatshirt on in -10 degree outside weather. But then again, I can remember wearing shorts outside in the winter as a kid.

Anyway, I think I'm going to buy some of those water mister things that atomize the water to cool an area, I've seen them on job sites and they are nice because they don't get you wet.

water atomization nozzle kits

I'm thinking about mounting one of these next to my mill under a tarp tent or better yet, put the tarp tent over the mill and mount the nozzles under there.

WDH

Yesterday, it was brutal here.  I work in the shop most evenings, and its tough when final sanding to keep the sweat drips off the piece (no air conditioning in the shop, just a big window fan to pull in air).  The humidity was sky high, and it did not cool down till after 10:00 p.m.  Also, tough to keep sweat off the cast iron surfaces of the woodworking equipment........ smiley_sweat_drop
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bull

Yesterday hit 100 here and it wasn't as bad as today,right now its 88 w/ 87 percent humidity you can see the humidity and at 2:00 I had to stop, couldn't keep enough water on the inside !!!!
Got a little dizzy an had mild headache. Drinking water and gatorade like a herd of thirsty horses....
Humidity SUCKS out load !!! :(

Severe Storm warnings are out !!!! We wait and see what we get......

Zuchinni are growing at 2 inches an hour !!!
THE LETTUCE WILL BE BOLTING IF WE DON'T COOL OFF!! >:(

jpgreen

Severe heat comin' your way from out west..   ::)

sawguy21

Yup. ;D It is warm here too. 31C today, mid nineties, and close to 70F overnight. The interior will be 36C, that is in the low hunnerts.  :o Yikes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beav

Think mexicans, muchachos. When its like this I work from 6-10 AM, then siesta till 3 or 4, then work till 7 or 8. Si ?

sawguy21

36C here this afternoon. Think the Mexicans are onto a good thing smiley_sleeping

Bibbyman

We've been getting out sometime shortly after 6:00am and not doing anything we don't have to after noon.

We have a refrigerator in the sawshed.  We now have it stocked with soda (for company) and bottled water.

Today we got a pass.  The temperature didn't top 80°,  the humidity was pretty low and there was a light breeze from the northwest.  We got in a pretty full day.  It's still daylight and I'm ready for bed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

Went from real hot and humid, just downright miserable, to 62F and dropping.  8) 8) I am headed to the mill early in the morning and see if I can't get something accomplished for a change.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

highpockets

I kind of work like JP. About 11:00 it is about time to hang it up.  I have determined that most of this stuff will still be there the next day. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Warren

Last year the wife bought a $10 canopy thingy at the Dollar Store for a picnic.  I ninintally thought it was going to be a piece of junk. Turned out to be pretty handy last summer when I was doing the weekend sawyer routine.  Amazing the difference just being able to sit in the shade for a few minutes and drink a cold bottle of water.  As mentioned above, keep sucking the water down on a regular basis.  IF you wait until you "feel"  thirsty / dizzy / weak, you are already shot for the day....  I think most folks here are already aware of the distinction, but just a reminder from my EMT days:

Heat exhaustion = cool clammy sweaty skin - time to park it in the shade, rest, and drink plenty of fluids

Heat stroke = warm dry skin - If you encounter someone who is overheated AND has dry skin, it is time to head toward the hospital.  If they are disoriented, or delussional, Their body already gave up on trying to cool off and is starting to shut down.

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

jpgreen

Oh Boy that is good info to know.  I've got a wife that cannot stand the heat.

How's it going Dick?..  8)

mike_van

No heat problems today - 8)  The Canadiens came through with a nice cold front - Yesterday dew point 72, today 56 - I feel human again -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

That cool front sure did not come from this end of Canada.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!