iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing in New York

Started by Brad_S., July 08, 2007, 08:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

When I travel out of state, (especially in the southwest) when people hear I'm from New York, they are often amazed that I run a portable sawmill. "There are trees in New York?" "Don't you worry about getting mugged while you're working?" "Are the subways as bad as they say they are?"
Well, here is a shot from yesterdays job, courtesy of my client. The picture doesn't do the scene justice. In the background is the very southern tip of Canandaigua Lake, one of NY's Finger Lakes. Notice there are no subways! Notice also the truck is parked between the saw and the hill down to the lake. This was the most extreme slope I've ever milled on. The front end of the saw was blocked so high up to get it anywhere near level that the whole thing shook rather severely during gig back.  I was concerned it would shake itself off the blocking and take a ride down the hill! :o I had to stand on a couple pallets to be able to see what I was doing. :D

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Onthesauk

So did you get mugged? :D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

lmbeachy

Glad to see that New York is big enough for both you and the muggers. You do have some pretty country up that way.
hotfoot

pigman

Does the subway run under the lake or around it?  ;) ;D  You are not fooling this hillbilly, you were sawing in Central Park, NYC.
Being from Ky, when I travel out of state, people either ask me if I work in a coal mine or do I own race horses.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

:D :D :D  I can see you now, jumping the curb and pulling that mill into Central Park! :o  Wonder how long THAT job would last? :D

Youse guys do have some beautiful territory in NY State!  I've only driven through it once, and I want to go back and see the rest of it!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

Bob,

So, which is it? ::)
;D

Brad,

Looks like it would be hard to concentrate on sawing with scenery like that.
Haytrader

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Looks to me like Brad was just looking for an excuse to mug for the camera...  ::)

Brad: That's a beautiful site. Many folks don't realize that NYC is a very small portion of NY state.

tomboysawyer

My latest mill came out of the Finger Lakes area. My first mill came out of Amish country near Buffalo. I sold that first mill to someone in Albany (who was probably going to cut yard logs).

Here in Vermont we have the opposite 'problem'.

That's a beautiful view from your 'job.'

crtreedude

Hi Brad - reminds me of back home since we once lived just up from Canadice Lake.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

breederman

Brad,
   You need to shush up ;)  people will want to be living here if you keep showing pics like that! :D
Together we got this !

Raider Bill

Being from Upstate NY I can attest to how beautiful it is UNTIL the snow and cold starts!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thurlow

In the early '70s, our unit (TNARNG MP Company) made a summer camp at Seneca
Army Depot.  I remember...........beautiful scenery, white deer and a "heat"
wave.  The temperature got up to 80 or 82 degrees a day or two;  the main
topic of conversation by those who lived there was the heat wave.   :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

crtreedude

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 09, 2007, 09:13:33 AM
Being from Upstate NY I can attest to how beautiful it is UNTIL the snow and cold starts!

Which would be about 5 months out of the year...  ::)

mike_van

Mugged? By a black bear maybe? :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

jpad_mi

Glad to hear that you and the mill stayed on high ground! Alll of upstate New York that I've seen, and especially the Finger Lakes region, is beautiful country. Keep those great pictures coming! Thinking of those deep, clear lakes makes me want to pull out my grandfathers copper line and a Pfleuger Record spoon, and go after some lakers.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Captain

I just MAY be doing some sawing near you soon myself, Brad.  Going to a company outing in the Finger Lakes, and the co-workers want to saw some lumber instead of going golfing.  Right now it is a tossup between the sawmill or the firewood processer...

Captain

Brad_S.

The Finger Lakes area has become world renown for its wine. There are a gazillion wineries in the area, if you have the time, take in a few. Even if you're not a wine connoisseur, it's still an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon with friends and co-workers. Much better than chasing a little white ball around. ;D

Raider Bill

Used to dive the finger lakes almost every weekend then go to the wineries. Not a wine drinker but still was fun.

Dank11

Hey!
I just took my 15 year old son to Letchworth and Stony Brook State parks
Very Nice NY scenes
Thanks!

crtreedude

I used to fish in Letchworth, just below the middle falls - you aren't allowed now but back in a simpler time, we would go with 4 or 5 dozen crawfish and just drift them for smallmouth - the fishing was great.

And if we got hot, we would dive off the stone bridge into the big pool below the middle falls (if I got them right)

Captain

Brad, how close are you to SILVER LAKE??

Captain

Brad_S.

There are two Silver Lakes in NY, one is SW of Rochester and 50 miles from me, the other is SE of Syracuse and 150 miles from me.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Brad_S. on August 01, 2007, 09:10:15 PM
There are two Silver Lakes in NY, one is SW of Rochester and 50 miles from me, the other is SE of Syracuse and 150 miles from me.
Where is the one Se of Syracuse? I'm having a brain block pictureing it.

Brad_S.

I'm going by Mapquest, they show it as being a couple miles south of New Berlin, near Norwich.

Trax

That makes 3 Silver lakes in NY. I didn't know about the other 2 before today.
The one I'm familiar with is just north of Lake Placid in the middle of God's country

There are a lot a places in NY it takes a little walking to see
Here is a pic of Marcy from the top of Haystack looking across panther gorge.

Raider Bill

Many Years ago I climbed Mt MArcy several times in the summers. If I remember correctly there was another lake there called Colby. That area is beautiful.
It was a 3 day event to climb MArcy. One day to the base, one to climb and one to walk out.

Thank You Sponsors!