iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you think about preserving trailer decks with motor oil?

Started by Kelvin, July 07, 2007, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Just wondering about an old farmer idea of using old motor oil, that would otherwise be sent back to the store, as a preservative?  I just sawed out some big clear cottonwood for a pretty heavy trailer that the decks old pine top broke up on.  Figured the cottonwood to be real break resistant with the cross grain going on, but real bad on weathering.  If i soaked it with old motor oil wouldn't that be similar to other types of oil treatments?  At least its free.  I would put a little on as it soaked in.  Water and oil don't mix so it must repel water.  Any ideas?  Why not?  Wouldn't be great to get all over the place, but is treated wood great?  The county used to spray the dirt roads with used oil out here to keep the dust down.  Don't do it anymore, they use some sort of chloride or something that doesn't work so well.  I woiuld have used something rot resisistant if i had it, white oak or somehting, but i can't afford to buy the logs, and if they were good enough i can't afford to use anything good on myself.  Cotton wood is the only thing given away around here.
Thanks for any input,
kelvin

Frickman

Sounds like a good way to slide your load off the the trailer. Oli and water might not mix, but it would get real slippy in the rain.

Most of the folks I saw trailer decking for wear out a floor before it rots out. If you don't use the trailer alot you might try a preservative, just not oil.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Handy Andy

My dad used to treat the wood floor in his pickup, 66 chevy, with used motor oil once in a while.  Still is sound.  Course it was sheaded. But he hauled silage in it every day in winter for years. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

brdmkr

Folks here treat trailer decking with off road diesel.  I would figure oil might work???
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Reddog

We use to get oil dumped on them hauling equipment. And I can agree with Frickman, when it gets wet it will be slick.
But the wood did hold up a long time. One of the wood preservatives might work better for traction.

pineywoods

Folks around here been doing just that far back as I can remember. Park the trailer out in the hot sun and let the boards get good and hot, then apply a thin coat of oil. The boards will quickly soak up the oil. Mine is oiled red oak, installed about 6 years ago, still solid.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

I have to laugh.  :D Years ago I worked in an auto salvage yard and we had a mid sixties GMC pick um up truck with a wood floor. The gofers were burning off the grass in the yard and piled the refuse in the truck. W'all now, the local fire department got a call about 2:00 am.Seems the GMC and the yard were getting a little warm. Yard was cleaned and truck was scrapped.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

They used to dump old oil on the gravel roads around here also, Kelvin. It kept the dust down pretty well. Now they use some vegetable oil mix stuff that isn't worth a hoot to keep dust down, but it costs a BUNCH to use. Go figure...

We used to painted our trailers with kreosote. I am guessing oil would do as well, and best of all it is FREE.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!