iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steam powered sawmill video

Started by Ianab, July 06, 2007, 10:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

metalspinner

That is really neat!  I like how the boards go right through the planer off the mill.  And the waste right into the firebox. I thought the sawyer was going to cut himself in half reaching around to throw the slab out of the way. :o  Maybe the perspective from the camera made it appear closer than reality.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Robert Long

metalspinner

Thanks for the tip........Safety standards people were not around in those days!

Robert

Daren

As a steamfitter and a sawmill guy that interested me. I am always baffled by the belt drives on the water/steam driven machines. It seems like there is alot of power loss (not to mention upkeep and danger)  At least they don't have any mill slab to get rid of  ;) I bet that is one hot mill shed in the summer, but that is a step up from the pit saw for sure. Kinda makes hitting the ignition switch on the gas engine and peeling the lumber off look easy. A stoker/sawyer/offloaders sawing a little log I could do myself on my manual mill in 20 minutes and walk away. It would take 2 hours to get that boiler going from cold, unless you had a tender keeping it warm.
Cool video, showing the past and some guys preserving it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thank You Sponsors!