iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What framing nail gun would you recommend for rough oak lumber?

Started by Modat22, July 05, 2007, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I wanting a new tool but I'm not sure what to get. I've looked at Bostich, hitachi, senco and porter cable. (Preference in that order)

What nail guns have you had the best luck with?

Note, I should mention that the oak would be green..
remember man that thy are dust.

Norm

I have the hitachi NR-83 and have been pleased with it. I've used the bostich but not owned any and it would be my second choice.

Texas Ranger

Depending on species, dryness, and what your going to use it for, a drill and a hammer may be needed.  There is some oak that seems to come apart with a nail gun.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

I do not use any nail guns on Oak, green or dry. Never found one that would consistently drive the nails in all the way. As TR said, drill and screw or nail is the only way.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Larry

My old Bostitch...I think N80SB's would leave a 3 1/2" nail about 1/4" proud in oak unless the air was cranked up above the recommended max.  I replaced the Bostitch's with Milwaukee's last year because they are light and have all the new features.  They seem to drive 3 1/2" 131's consistently in oak but I sense that they are at there limit...and haven't used them with oak very much.  The test of framing guns power, in conventional framing is if they will drive nails in gluelams.  There are some made with additional power just for this purpose...think I would look at those if your planning to use a lot of oak.  No real brand preference but I see a lot of Hitachies being used by the framers.

In the olden days before guns I never pre-drilled oak...the nails were usually stored in a little can of ATF...of course just to prevent rust. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

I've used my Porter Cable FR350Mag for green oak, dry oak, and nailing cedar to dry locust posts.  Occasionally it will leave a nail with the head about 1/4" high, but the rest of the time it will sink them flush.

I haven't tried the others, so I don't have a comparison to offer.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Handy Andy

I've had Senco, Bostitch, and Hitachi nailers, and the ones I've had the best luck with are Hitachi.  Bostitch must use cheap O rings, as they just seem to break. Senco need repairs in my experience.  Hitachi guns just work. No need for repairs unless you
just lose it out of the truck, or do something otherwise to destroy them.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

fat olde elf

My framing nailer is a Porter Cable FR350....Finish nailer is a Paslode... Also have an itsy-bitsy
finish nailer from Harbor Freight......All are ok for my needs........Hitachi is very popular, I know three different framers who use them.......Nailers are great for us older dudes with arthritis in our hands and wrists.......Praise the Lord..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Cedarman

You guys are great.  Just yesterday I was looking at nail guns to use in making the custom pallets we send out with our cedar on them. My knowledge of nail guns could fit on the point of a pin. Couldn't figure out which to get. We nail 3/4" boards of whatever is handy to 2x4 runners of whatever is handy. So species will vary from cedar to oak to poplar to "wood". 
So this topic is on the board at the perfect time.  Thanks.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Modat22

I love nail guns, I never could use a hammer to hit anything except my thumb. Looks like hitachi and porter cable are moving forward in my list.

footer

My preference in this order.

Hitachi, NR90AE
Pasload, F-350S
Senco
Bostitch
Porter cable

I bought a factory reconditioned Hitachi, NR90AE from the local lumber yard for $150.00. It looked brand new, not even a scratch.

The first three are a toss up of which one is better. Paslode has full head nails now, but not sure if they will shoot in the Hitachi, or other guns.
Senco makes a cheap model that they sell in the box stores. The good ones have an XP behind the model number. such as FramePro 751XP

The Bostitch and porter cable are consumer tools. Never seen a contractor use one

DR_Buck

Bought a Paslode impulse framing nailgun a couple months ago.  Works great and beats the heck out of dragging out the hoses.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don K

I have both a Bostich framer and 15 guage finish nailer. Had them 3 yrs and used both extensively when I built my house, sawshed, tool shed, chicken house and soon I hope woodworking shop. No problems yet. Definitely not a consmer tool in my neck of the South. All the house contractors as well as two truss companies use them. Will fire every time I pick them up. I am well satisfied.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

The contractor doing my friend's house uses Bostich as well.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

davemartin88

We built a 24'X24' equipment barn using all green oak, mosty 4/4 and the Porter Cable 350 worked fine, only a few didn't fully set.

SAW MILLER

Dave,
How much air pressyre did you use?Mine won't set a nail in pine and I run 100 psi.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

davemartin88

Been a while but seem to remember having it around 90 psi?

ksu_chainsaw

I have a Bostitch N80SB and I haven't had any major problems with it yet.  I was putting down some air-dry oak, and it would leave maybe half of them about 1/4" proud, when the compressor was set at 90psi.  I also put down some 4/4 green hedge with 2 1/2" ring shanks, and it would put the head about 1/4" below the surface.  Last year I had to put in a new door in that shed, and had to drill and screw that hedge- and even smoked several carbide tipped drill bits.

Charles

tcsmpsi

I've never used anything but DuoFast for a framing gun.  I've seen others used, and I would be reluctant to mute in recommending anything else.

However, it has been a good, long while since this one has been rebuilt, and the DuoFast guy said back then he didn't think there would be a lot left for another rebuild.

Since I don't use them like I used to, I may well be looking at different mfrs. for replacement in the future.

Now, finish nailers, I've used several mfrs., including DuoFast.  Judging on the performance of the Grizzly finish nailer I have, I would have to give them a serious look and consideration in the framing nailer.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Furby

Is it possible that those of you who had nails not driven in all the way, that those nails were fired at the low end of the compressor's range just before it kicked back on to recharge?

I would get that in the old, hard yellow pine 1x's with the roofing nailer.
With the tank at full charge, it drove them fine. By the time I lost 20 or so PSI and just before the compressor kicked back on, the nails would not drive in fully.

I ended up just turning up the range on the compressor just enough that it would still drive the nails at the low end of the range.

Modat22

just bought a hitachi NR90AE off ebay and a rebuild kit (just in case). I'll be giving it a workout in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about trying out those bostich hurriquake nails on siding as well. I read a development article on those nails a couple years ago and they looked very promising.

Don K

Furby, I've seen that also. Took me a little while when I first got my gun to figure out what was happening.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ironwood

My Bostich is a piece of @#$%. O-rings going constantly, Junk! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

clif

I would not buy another Bostich framing nailer: double fires, bent nails, got to carry a hammer no matter what pressure, replaced rubber gaskets.  friend has a  senco xp that I have used with excelent success.  I would definitely look at a Hatichi after reading this post.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

johncinquo

The best advice I can give out regarding air nailers is buy an in-line oiler.  No matter what brand you have, it will save your tools, and you a lot of money.   You fill it up in the morning, plug it in line between your air hose and gun, and go at it.  The few drops in the gun a day just doesnt do a good enough job.  You dont let your car run on a little bit of oil do ya?
I had to take my gun in after it tried to commit suicide by jumping off the ladder, and only broke its nose.  The tech offered a free inspection because of the age and outside condition, I am sure he was figuring a full service or selling me a new one based on what it looked like.   He ordered the nose, and told me my gun was in perfect shape, and that he had hardly ever seen a gun that was obviously used as much as mine was, in such good internal shape.  I've never replaced a single seal, o ring, or anything on it after 10+ years and several houses, barns, and projects.   
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Quartlow

I've got an old DuoFast. Without looking I can't tell you the model, but suffice to say I got it from a rental company so you know it was used hard. I would say 95% of the time it drives the nails all the way in at 100psi
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

jpad_mi

Good purchase Modat, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hitachi.

My experience has been similar to a lot of the previous comments. I own two Bostitch N80SB's and one Hitachi NR83AA framer. The Hitachi is a much better tool, and it probably should be since it cost twice as much as the Bostitch. Here are some of my observations:
- the Hitachi is lighter, yet has noticeably less recoil
- the Bostitch guns will not sink the nails when you get into harder wood or knots (and high recoil)
- if the Hitachi doesn't sink the nail, it's because I wasn't holding it firmly; lean on it and it will sink
- the nose/tip on the Bostitch is a lot larger and makes toe-nailing more difficult
- the sequential trigger (one nail per tip depression) option on the Bostitch is great for my
  heavy trigger finger. I get a fair number of double-shots with the Hitachi.
- neither brand jambs

Jeff P. in Michigan

Modat22

My hitachi purchase went messed up from ebay, while I'm waiting on a claim to go thru paypal I was wondering if anyone had a problem buying "Factory Reconditioned" nail guns. I'm slightly wary of doing this but the cost savings is fairly substantial on these nailers.

Thoughs?

Burlkraft

I had a recon Dewalt framer that was a piece of crap....I bought a Paslode and I am a happy camper now.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

footer

Quote from: jpad_mi on July 21, 2007, 08:28:09 AM

- the sequential trigger (one nail per tip depression) option on the Bostitch is great for my
  heavy trigger finger. I get a fair number of double-shots with the Hitachi.
- neither brand jambs

The Hitathi has a switch you can select between sequntial and bump fire.

sandman2234

I bought a Duofast back in 1981 to shoot some 5 inch nails. It did the job I needed and just sat around. A friend borrowed it and I really need to get it back from him. I think he has had it since about 1990.
     David from jax

Modat22

Little update, never did get my gun, the guy I tried to buy from ended up taking my money and ran. Got my cash back thru the escro service but you guys might want to avoid someone with this guys name in the future.

closed auction link

Others had a problem as well, if they left bad feedback he left bad feedback. Took me 25 days to get my cash back.  >:(

Modat22

Update, picked up a new hitachi nr 90ae full round head framing nailer and did my first test.

piece of 6x6 seasoned grey oak. counter sunk shiny coated 16d nails 3.25 inches long 1/8 inch into the wood. made depth adjust ment for flush and powered 20 nails in the same wood, all nails flush.

Second test 20 of the same nails into 3 oak 2x6's, flush.

last test 20 same nails thru 3 stacked pieces of 5 year old hickory flush.

No standers all flush. Had to use 115 psi to drive them all flush max psi rating on the gun is 120 psi.

Looks like the hitachi is a good one.

Warbird

I've got a Rigid R350CHA.  It is great.  It is a bit on the heavy side, but very powerful.

Handy Andy

When I first got my Hitachi, it took me a while to learn to drive just one nail.  Very easy to drive 2.  But you learn how to pull the trigger after while, and then you are fine.  I really like how  you can toenail with it.  But be careful, if you don't pay attention you can ricochet the nail off the side of the board.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Warbird

The Rigid will fire two sometimes, as well.  Once you get the feel of it on the bump-fire setting, though, you can fire one nail at a time in rapid succession.

Modat22

I think they might have fixed the double firing problem. In single fire mode one trigger pull equals one nail. I tried to get it to fire two on purpose and it wouldn't. Now in bump mode its possible.

Thank You Sponsors!