iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a couple of Ash Logs worth?

Started by Danny_S, July 04, 2007, 05:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

I have 2 ash logs in the back yard that were here when I bought the place..  8' long and 10" across.  Good sound and straight logs.

What would they be worth if I take em up to buddy up the road with the Woodmizer?

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Ron Wenrich

The best thing to do is ask your buddy what they're worth to him.  My guess is they aren't worth too much.  Ash markets have been depressed for quite some time.  Most of the ring porous woods have been on a slide.

Checking our handy toolbox calculator, I come up with a total of about 64 bf on the International scale.  That's about how much lumber is in those 2 logs. 

If you can use the lumber, then have him saw them up for you.  You will find that the ends have discolored somewhat.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Handy Andy

If ash lays around here it is full of borers.  Firewood. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Part_Timer

Give or take 15-20 dollars round these parts
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

I say pay him to saw them for you and make something for the house :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tony_T

Problem with ash sitting around is: 1) bugs, 2) rot, 3) end checking if the ends were not sealed after bucking (are there end checks?)

Thank You Sponsors!