iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

redwood log story by Jeff

Started by Cedarman, July 03, 2007, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Just got my new Sawmill and Woodlot mag.  Big nice story by Jeff about sawing a non Wisconsin log.  That is some big slab. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sjh

You beat me to it. Yes it was a very nice article.

Cedarman

If my checks got here as fast as the Sawmill mag, I would be amazed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Furby

Since Jeff wrote it........ any chance we might be able to see it on the FF?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quotesawing a non Wisconsin log

I gotta disagree wit dat.  That log was in Wisconsin for over half a century. It had its own little Wisconsin ecosystem growing on it and within its protective bark. It took a crane, a skid steer, a sawmill and over 20 people to harvest its lumber. The tree may have grown in California but that log definitely belonged to Wisconsin.  :)

Texas Ranger

So do glaciers, but you don't see them there. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Nor is the log there anymore,  ;D, just the leftovers - some slabs, boards, bark - similar to leftovers from the glaciers, all the rock and rubble that they left behind... I'm livin atop a terminal moraine that was at the lower end of the last glacier that they say was 10,000 years ago. That must have been when global warming started... ;D

;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

Great article, Jeff  :)

It's well written, friendly and engaging. I hope you'll write some more ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

I hope they let me. They may have had enough of Jeff B but I hope not.  :-\ ;)   I think the editor was ready to shoot me on my knit picking of the format. I think she sent it to me 4 times in all for my approval. Ya gotta think she is used to dealing with artsy fartsy types that are difficult to please though. :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on July 04, 2007, 10:33:01 AM
Ya gotta think she is used to dealing with artsy fartsy types that are difficult to please though. :D

Are you sure you qualify.......... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Artsy Fartsy is a state of mind. :)

Captain

Very nice article  :)  The activities of the Wisconsin Chapter are now legendary!!

Captain

DWM II

Nice job Jeff! Been waiting for my copy that just got here today I did enjoy the story. :)
Stewardship Counts!

Corley5

8) 8)  I'm famous but still safe because my last name is spelled wrong  ;) ;D :D :) 8)  Good job Jeff and thanks to everyone that made it all possible  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

stumpy

Just got my copy today.  Good job on the story.  I haven't heard much from Burlkraft lately.  Since the article, he must be out on personal appearances signing autographs.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

scsmith42

I received my copy today as well - nice job Jeff! (and kudo's to Steve for taking the lead on pulling this event together!).

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Got my copy 8).

Corley5, where was the chainsaw PPE (personal protective equipment smiley_huh2).  You were handsome in that pic  ;D.  I assume that it was posed so the we could see your handsome visage :D and that was why you were not sporting a hardhat, saw chaps, etc. :-\.

That was some great event, and I am envious that I was not there to experience it.  Good Job smiley_hellow_im_here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tim L

I wish I could cut those slabs . Truth is , I was only in my "library" for a short trip so I was skimming the new issue when I said to myself "that guy looks like Jeff". So I had to go back and read .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Corley5

Thanks WDH  ;) ;D  I had safety glasses on ;D  I wasn't too concerned about kick back with that 60" bar and the chances of a limb falling on my head in the middle of the parking lot were pretty slim.  Shoulda had hearing protection though  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Quote from: Corley5 on July 07, 2007, 09:48:01 AM
and the chances of a limb falling on my head in the middle of the parking lot were pretty slim.    ;) ;D

Slimmer than slim ;D. 

That was a great story.  I can't believe what y'all got done in one day.  Incredible :D.  I need that crew to come down here next time I saw :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2007, 12:43:29 AM

Corley5, where was the chainsaw PPE (personal protective equipment smiley_huh2).  You were handsome in that pic  ;D.  I assume that it was posed so the we could see your handsome visage :D and that was why you were not sporting a hardhat, saw chaps, etc. :-\.

I was told by some of you southern boys that more heat means less PPE. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

Good article Jeff. I enjoyed it.  8)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Burlkraft

Quote from: stumpy on July 06, 2007, 05:38:52 PM
Just got my copy today.  Good job on the story.  I haven't heard much from Burlkraft lately.  Since the article, he must be out on personal appearances signing autographs.

Jill's Dad and I are in Tennessee making sure all is right with the world in Bristol..... ;D ;D ;D

I did sign an autograph yesterday......It was on the bill for my donation to Bristol Childrens Chairities.... :D :D :D Got to play some golf with some drag racers. I found it hard to believe, but some of them are worse golfers than me.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sgtmaconga

Story was great. would have loved to have one of those slabs
Measure twice cut once

Thank You Sponsors!