iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Male pine cones

Started by Tom, March 31, 2003, 05:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

In the early spring, Pines put on male cones and proliferate the air with yellow pollen.  It covers roadways, can be seen blowing across ponds in great sheets and sticks to automobiles.  Here is a small Pond Pine on my place that put male cones on in mid March this year.  It is March 31st now and the tree is still in full bloom.

You can see the clusters of pencil sized "cones" on the ends of the branches.

CHARLIE

Must be a boring way to propagate. Just throw your pollen into the wind and hope it hits something it's supposed to. Sure glad I ain't a pine tree! :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

L. Wakefield

In MAine in a heavy pollen year, the trees release huge clouds of the stuff. It looks like a dust storm or a fog coming. It's just awesome. Of course, I am immune to it so I can just enjoy the sight.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

CHARLIE

I just wonder how a female pinecone goes about protecting herself. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

:DThey stay all bundled up and hide close to the stem with their eyes squenched shut so's they won't be noticed, Charlie.
Some of'em you got to get re-e-eal hot 'afore the're receptive.

Then there's others that see a good lookin' pollen floatin' by and throw they're Le...... er Bracts open, and expose their eggs. ::)

SwampDonkey

So Tom, if her eyes are closed how does she know he's good look'n? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!