iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weeds from the back yard..... Round 2: MORE from the woodlot this time.

Started by SwampDonkey, June 30, 2007, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

OK, # 7 is a member of the buckwheat family. No, not from the little rascals. ;D

and # 9 is a tree.  ;)

and # 4 is associated with wild fires.  :)

I still don't know # 5, but I think I'm close.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Me and herbaceous plants go together like nuts and bubblegum :-\.  You're going to cause me to hit the books tomorrow, SD.  I'll go ahead and give a couple of them a shot, though:

#8 - nutsedge

#9 - mountain-ash
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

# 8 is not a sedge (no edges) The flower heads have not elongated yet. Your in the ball park. Won't expect the 'exact species' just the genus. ;D

#9 Hmmmm here is a flower.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

#9 Juglans nigra - I simply must protest the title, "Woodland flowers", though ::) ;).

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on July 18, 2007, 01:57:33 PM
I simply must protest the title, "Woodland flowers", though ::) ;).

They are, they are growing on my woodlands.  ;D

#9 ball park, but nope.

Dodgy Loner

#9 Juglans cinera, or else I quit.  Don't try to tell me that ain't a walnut flower in your picture!

SwampDonkey

Don't throw in the towel yet.  :P

It's a butternut flower.   yikes_smiley

#3 is very common along streams and beaver dams. Its a tall plant.

#4 is very common in the north. I'll give that one to ya. It's fireweed Epilobium augustifolium. Can't believe no one knows that one.  ::)

Dodgy Loner

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 18, 2007, 04:07:40 PM
It's a butternut flower.   yikes_smiley

Don't worry, butternut (aka white walnut) is still a walnut, you I guess I'll let you off the hook :D

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 18, 2007, 04:07:40 PM
Don't throw in the towel yet. :P
#4 is very common in the north. I'll give that one to ya. It's fireweed Epilobium augustifolium. Can't believe no one knows that one. ::)

Know what's not very common up north?  Me!  ;D

SwampDonkey

Dodgy Loner

#7 curly dock (Rumex crispus), or at least some kind of dock

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on July 18, 2007, 04:10:53 PM
Know what's not very common up north?  Me!  ;D

Thank goodness for the snow line.  :D ;)

Possitory on # 7. Keep'm come'n  :)

Dodgy Loner

Dodgy Loner

SwampDonkey

Timburr

SD, are you positively smiley about #8?  Our Juncus effusus look strikingly different to yours :D  The Juncus family have round section, hollow stems and leaves.  Yours seem to have blade type leaves, suggesting a member of the Cyperaceae familyu.

On a different note, you've got us totally bamboozled on round 1, #4.  I thought I had it, but the more I look, the more the confusion.  Can not even determine the family.  Is it a Brassicaceae and how many stamens does it have ???
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Timburr on July 18, 2007, 07:06:11 PM
SD, are you positively smiley about #8?  Our Juncus effusus look strikingly different to yours :D  The Juncus family have round section, hollow stems and leaves.  Yours seem to have blade type leaves, suggesting a member of the Cyperaceae familyu.

Yes it's Juncus, the flower heads have not elongated yet. It is as you described. It's growing in a wet trail, heavily traveled by moose.  ;D

On a different note, you've got us totally bamboozled on round 1, #4.  I thought I had it, but the more I look, the more the confusion.  Can not even determine the family.  Is it a Brassicaceae and how many stamens does it have ???

Onagraceae Evening primrose family.  Same family as fireweed in round two. ;D

Timburr

D'oh.  Onagraceae.  Of course it is.  :-[

Our glades are currently ablaze with fireweed!
Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Funny how some people will scoff at fireweed and plant that dang lupen in the yard. Don't look any better to me.  ;D :D :D I always said, we plant other people's weeds and overlook our own.  ;)

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Was out for a stroll this morning. Walked into a sensitive area with overstory aspen. Many herbs include purple trillium (very big leaves), jewel weed, rattlesnake root and sarsaparilla.

What I found is this orchid, which as similar leaves as the yellow lady slipper, but with many small orchid-like flowers on a terminal spike. I tried like the dickens to get a well focused flower, but I was running low on battery power. I saw at least 40 plants in the area and the dominant ones were probably 16 inches tall.

Can't find it in Audubon. I'm thinking it's uncommon, maybe rare? I am busy doing a search on SARA and other sites.

SwampDonkey

I think I ID'ed it. It appears to be non native. Although, I have no idea how it would get into my woods, closest house is 1 mile away.

http://www.wildflowersofontario.ca/helleborine.html

Aroostooksawyer

Looks like False helleborine an alien.Quite common even in deep woods over on this side of the border.

SwampDonkey

Thanks Aroostooksawyer, for helping to confirm it.

How has it spread so? Gee, it's a nice little flower but leaves one wondering how this stuff spreads.

Thank You Sponsors!