iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basics of Log Rules?

Started by Lickskillet, March 30, 2003, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lickskillet

I have found very old log rule in antique show. It is hand stamped hickory with "The Lufkin Rule Co." and has International 1/4'' kerf. (I use a band mill)
Can someone help me on the basics of using this log rule for measuring board feet?  Are there instructions out there?
It's so cool and I buy all my tools to use them, antique or not. Is this something that I could use now, and how, or should I put it on the shelf and get a more modern one?

beenthere

Not 100% sure of your question, as to the "instructions". I believe it should indicate the length of the log in columns on the rule, and you hold the rule on the small end of the log (inside bark), take the reading for that length and it will be in board feet. The actual yield of lumber you get should be greater than this number as you will not be taking 1/4" kerf with your band mill.  
Hope this is close to what you have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ADfields

It was all very well explained in a post around 6 months back but I don't remember what it was called. ???   You could try a archive search on "log rules" and see what you get.   We should put it in the knowledge base it's not.
Andy

ADfields

I cant find it :-/ I know it's hear someplace. :P   Aneyone remember the thread name?
Andy

BTW: I like to lick skillets to, after they cool a bit! ;D  

Lickskillet

Thanks, beenthere and AD
I'll continue to look for the thread.  :P
I wasn't sure if it was for an individual log, a stack logs or cut boards.  ???
So, if I read this correctly, an 8' log with 12" small end would yield 45 board feet. How would this compare with eastern red cedar on a band mill?
(BTW-If you are out having too much fun sawing, and you show up late, you have to lick the skillet) :'(

Fla._Deadheader

Lickskillet, that's correct about the 12" X 8' log. It better be a good straight one though. Most logs are BOUGHT by Doyle scale, where that same log would show 32 bd/ft, or , by the ton. I never bought by the ton. Must be a newer way, since 1979, when I sold my mill. We sell by Intl. scale, but, the buyer is really artistic?? with the total bd/ft. That's why I built my mill !!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

Measure inside the bark and and find the length and you will have the bdft of the log.  The 1/4 rule is close to what you will get witha band mill.  A 12" 8' ERC will produce 43 bdft on the cedar scale and a good log will produce about 50 bdft.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Mark M

Here is a link to some pretty good info on log rules.

Log Rules - Operating Instructions

Ron Wenrich

See the red toolbox on the left hand sidebar?  Click that on and you will have some handy calculators, log scale being one of them.  

There is an Internaional 1/8" rule that is used in some bandmills.  It is not a very common rule.  The 1/4" seems to be the one that many foresters sell timber.  Loggers tend to buy on the Doyle scale, since most of their logs are sold on Doyle.

The yield you get from any rule depends on your cutting pattern.  1/4" is designed for cutting all 1" boards with a 1/4" kerf.  Cut heavier lumber, and your yield will go up.  Cut thinner and your yield will go down.  

I figure I'm getting pretty close to International on a circle mill.  But, we don't scale logs too often (management decision).  We buy standing timber and count the truckloads.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hydeoutman

I would be interested in buying a log rule. Does anyone have a link?

Minnesota_boy

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Rob

Here's a link for ya great people I buy alot of stuff from them plus they have all the rules

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_catalog_page.asp?id=1449

Later Rob.

ARKANSAWYER

Baileys got log rules of just about every kind and lumber rules.  I have a card from Wood Mizer that shows the stuff up to 30 inches and a folding Lufkin ruler that goes up to 48.  
ARKANSAWYER
  P.S.  The basic rule around here is the guy selling the log thinks it is a better grade and larger then the guy buying the log. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

hydeoutman

Thanks guys for the links!!!!

Lickskillet

Thanks for all your help. I believe I know how to read this log rule now. I bought a couple of trailer loads of 6"-14" -8' ERC this weekend and need to find out if I got a good deal.

Arkansawyer, where would I find a "cedar" scale?

Paul_H

Quote   P.S.  The basic rule around here is the guy selling the log thinks it is a better grade and larger then the guy buying the log. ;D

It seems to be some kind of a international rule :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Minnesota_boy

It seems that among the loggers around here the common term for scale rule is "cheat stick".  Every buyer uses the same stick in the same way and nearly every logger is sure the buyer is cheating them on scale.  On the other hand, it is common practice among loggers to put a crooked log at the bottom of the pile so they don't get docked for the crook.  Works both ways.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

Cedar scale attached and after 18 inches we use the Doyle scale.  Dock for in grown bark and rot.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Lickskillet

Thanks, Arkansawyer
That helps me knowing that the logs I bought at $5 a log for 8' logs 6-12" Dia. was probably a good deal.

TexasTimbers

I still haven't decided what that left column says. The right is 8'4" and I have been using that as a yardstick and adjusting on shorter and longer logs, but the left column looks like 52", which does not make sense to me. Anyone wanna decipher that for me ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

It looks like 52" to me, too.  4" longer than four feet.  Is cedar usually sold in four foot sections?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Maybe you are right Chris the 4" over 4' went right by me. I have never sold any at 4' though and don't know why you'd want to.

jpad_mi

Logrite makes really nice looking scale sticks.
Jeff P. in Michigan

TexasTimbers

Do they have one scaled for the I.C.S.? I'll take a look.

metalspinner

I just bought the Logrite scale at Sawlex.  It sure is nice.  Didn't notice if they had a cedar scale.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!