iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scale bars for pictures

Started by Sprucegum, June 28, 2007, 10:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

We all like pictures and we often try to guess the size of whatever we see in the pic. I took pics of my mill to refer to when prefabing parts, even held a tape measure in some of them but found the numbers on the tape very hard to read.
So I rattled my old memory bank and shook out a story an old welder had told me of how he used to steal ideas in the oil patch. He carried a one inch pipe 6 or 12 inches long that he had painted white and black in one inch increments. He placed this pipe in every picture he took so he could measure exactly what size everything was.
I used 1 inch all-thread with white teflon tape and black electrical tape. What do you think?

Furby

Have you checked to see how close it actually is?
If it's pretty close, then I say it's a DanG good idea!
Now.......... can ya remember to use it ???
;D

Sprucegum

The axle in the bottom pic is 38" from outside to outside.  I get about 39" when I hold my scale ruler up to the screen. I f I printed it out I think I could be more accurate. The hard part was remembering how to use the scale ruler  :D

isawlogs

Real good idea. Had it not been for your  pipe in the last pic ... they could of been 6 feet wide  :P   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Onthesauk

I fish with some guys that could use that device.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Quartlow

Quote from: Onthesauk on June 29, 2007, 04:57:13 PM
I fish with some guys that could use that device.

I've fished with guys that would tell you those where one foot increments on that pipe.
:D  :D  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!