iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help with our diesel pickup

Started by Carries-Mom, June 28, 2007, 09:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carries-Mom

We have had a couple of minor problems arise with our diesel pickup.  First question..It tends to stall out on us every now and again.  It's got a turbo cummins diesel...We bought it off of my dad, Fla deadheader a while back.  Just started having this problem.  Any ideas why this could be happening??  Second question...the truck tends to start out in second gear instead of first, but it doesn't do it all of the time.  Half of the time, we have to manually shift it into first...other times, it's ok??  Any thoughts on what that could be??  Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Fla._Deadheader

Change the fuel filterS ???  According to the OWNERS MANUAL, you need to adjust the bands in the Transmission, every so often ???

I'll post your questions on another Forum.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Carries-Mom

Dave's wanting to change the transmission filter and fluid anyway, since it hasn't been done since who knows when. 

Raider Bill

Should have bought from a reputable seller, someone you know. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Fla._Deadheader

Is it that, Family is the worst people to do business with ???  ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

farmerdoug

First off change the fuel filters.  They will plug and cause problems. 

Change the filter and tranny fluid too.  When you change it look for metal shavings and smell the fluid to see if it smells burnt.

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Carries-Mom

it's a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 (dually) turbo cummins diesel. it has an allison transmission.

Dave Shepard

I'd like to hear more about the Allison tranny. FDH, was that your doing? ???

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flip

One of my technicians has one, I'll ask him if he knows of any issues.

Carries-Mom

thanks..need all the ideas and input we can get...

OneWithWood

I think the advice to change the fuel filters, tranny filter and fluid is spot on.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Allison is a factory install with the Cummins turbo in that truck.

I know lots of folks don't like the Automatic with the Cummins, but, it had 127,000 on it when I sold it, and never even tried to give a problem ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Carries-Mom

tryin' to say something????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, I left the OWNERS MANUAL in the truck, for a reason  :D :D :D

Other forum says same thing, change ALL filters and tranny fluid. THEN, get the computer codes checked. Might try Auto Zone for that, before going to high-price Herby in Vero.  ::) ::) 8)

People don't realize just how dirty Diesel fuel really is.

When folks change over to Biofuel, there is a black crud that gets loosened from the tank and fuel lines, that blocks filters for at least 2-3 changes.
   First, it is ridiculed;

flip

We have seen guys running bio in their 3/4-1 tons and for what ever reason the plastic tanks delaminate and barf all that goodness up through the fuel system.  Takes out the pumps, filters, and sometimes injectors.  Good reason to not use andy bio over 15%, period.  If the trans. is not shifting 99.9%of the time a fluid change will not cure it.  If you put it in manual 1 will it go in?  Can you shift from low 1 to low 2 manually?  If it does, you may have one of several things:bad solenoid, manual lever position sensor, accumulator stuck, valve in valve body stuck.  Good idea to hit the zone and have them scan for free, if you get any codes post them so I can see what's up.  If it doesn't shift like I described above smiley_hanged.  Don't blow the $100 or $150 for a tranny flush just yet.

Flip

Carries-Mom

It will shift manually...Sometimes you can drive it and everything will be just fine.  It will shift like its supposed to.  Other times, you have to manually shift it.  I will let my husband know when he gets home and see if we can take it to auto zone this weekend.  thanks!!

Dale Hatfield

I dont Believe  a scan will turn much up. A 97 dodge Cummins turbo is a  non computer series. They didnt get computers till 98.5( 24 valve ) as far as how the engin runs. Their is a small ecm that talks with tranny through the Tps Throttle position sensor. But other wise it dont do much.
The stalling sounds like the idle needs adjusted up. The truck should run close to 900rpm with AC on and in gear. Its a pretty simple adjust lock nut and a screw on back of Injection pump. Yaj ust have to stand on your head.
Im not so sure about an allison tranny. Never seen one from the factory.
The TPS can be bad and cause some funny shift patterns to happen.
I dont believe you tranny oils in park.Which means all of the oil is drained out after long periods of ideling. Start in netural and  go from their.
Dont I repeat dont take it to the dealer or any other tranny shop. Their are plenty of diesel repair places that can fix and rebuild your tranny to far better then oem
I got 136,000 ouy of mine before a complete rebuild.  New valve body, New lines to the cooler, All new clutches,bands seals,Kick down lever.  Tripple clutch  Tconverter, With stronger mounting lugs, larger oil pan. and new oil all to the tune of 45000 bucks. Rund like a champ now. A
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Reddog

If it's factory it is a 47re or a 48re. All built on the old tried and true 727/518.

Valve body could be sticking. Govenor pressure sensor or soilend could be acting up.
I just had a 46re break a second gear retainer pin.

As everyone has stated, change the filters and fliuds first.

Handy Andy

I like to listen to Jeff Brooks show on automotive problems.  He is always telling people to check their grounding on their transmission, either clean the cable or add one directly to the transmission.  He says the bolts corrode a bit and the transmission looses it ground, then doesn't work correctly.  So add a ground wire, or clean the existing one.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Corley5

I don't know if it applies to that model year but my 02 and Dad's 01 both had problems with the fuel lift pumps.  If you don't catch them soon enough it takes out the injection pump too.  Mine was under warranty still and I got both new pumps.  Dad's wasn't and rather than pay the 3 grand to fix it he bought a new truck  :)  If you're going to have work done to the engine take it to a big truck service center.  Chrysler dealers don't know as much as they should about their Cummins engines.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Both pumps on this truck are old style. You guys have the newer crap.  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dave Shepard

The VP44 is a good pump, as long as it is getting supplied with enough fuel. 70% of the fuel pumped be the lift pump is for cooling only. When the LP dies, the VP will pull enough fuel to run, but not to cool itself. You won't know anything is wrong until you start losing power, and it is too late by then. You will probably get a P0216 code when your VP dies. This only applies to 98.5 or newer (24 valve trucks). A reman VP is $1400, and takes an hour to swap.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flip

Anything 95 and newer is required to have OBD2 compatability.  It is capable of being scanned and if there are any coded for the transmission it will probably show a P07XX, the X's will be some combination of numbers.  My guess, sticking solenoid, accumulator or valve body problem.  Does the dieing happen the same time the transmission acts up?  There may be a TSB for either problem, a dealer could tell you.  My suggestion, if you get no codes from Autozone, find a reputable Dodge deler in your area that sells and services a lot of trucks and give them a call.  Ask them if they have a diagnostic fee and what it is.  I hear a lot of bologna about dealers being evil, ::) my experience (working at one) is that there are a lot of crappy dealers and crappy side shops out there, do your homework.  Get an estimate and make sure there are no hidden costs and you are kept informed.  My .02

Dale Hatfield

I  agree with flip their are alot of choices out their. But in my little red neck part of the world we have 2 dodge dealerships and neither have a good diesel person.In fact one dealer is farming his work out. We have a handfull of tranny shops but they lack the understanding of the power a diesel packs and will rebuild with old Tourqe converter.
I still firmly believe that you find a place where all the guys are making huge power with their dodge trucks and you will find  a place that can make you a tranny that will last.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Carries-Mom

The only time the dodge dies out is in the morning...We let it sit and idle for at least 4-5 minutes before shifting into reverse.  Once we get out of the side yard, we have to give it a little gas to get into the street.  It seems when you let off of the gas pedal quick is when it dies.  Doesn't do it all of the time.  We think 4-5 minutes is enough time to warm up.  Maybe its not.  ::)  That's why we think it may be air filter problem???  My husband knows a guy that can hook the truck up to the machine and see what codes come up.  The guy works on the company work trucks and will hook the truck up for $85, if auto zone can't or won't do it.  No one that works at the zone is too bright.. smiley_dunce  Once hubby gets a day off, we will get it checked out and see what we come up with...thanks for the information...any more ideas would be appreciated.. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

That's supposed to be a very good trans. Don't mess with it.  Do the filters, especially BOTH fuel filters. If you don't do them right, you get air and a LOT of trouble priming the system.  :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Carries-Mom

we are going to do the filters first and then see what happens and go from there.  The stalling part happens once in a while and the transmission will sometimes shift on its own and sometimes needs some help.  That's why we were thinking maybe the filter and fluid change.  Probably will do it next weekend...

Carries-Mom

WELL......yesterday hubby changed the transmission filter and fluid.  Truck still acts the same.  Still won't shift itself into first.  Still have to manually do it.  It's not stalling out anymore due to a new air filter, which is what we thought.  It seems like we may have a stuck valve....yippee!!!! ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!