iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help support the Forum and the USO!

Started by jjmk98k, June 27, 2007, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Hello all,  and especially JEFF!!!!

I will be leaving for a trip to Iraq   :o very soon and will be there 60-90 days (so they tell us). Anyway, I came up with a idea and would like to know if anyone would be willing to support it?

Most of you know of the "USO", www.uso.org , they support US forces in the US and overseas by provinding a little "peice of home". I personally consider them a outstanding organization.  8)

and you all are familiar with the Forestry forum....

So, I am asking folks to pledge any amount they can on a day basis, such as .10-.30 cents per day for each day I spend in Iraq. Once my tour is complete the total amount raised will be split 50/50, half going to FF, the other half to the USO.

I will be able to provide updates from overseas and pictures once in a while to show where I am and whats going on.  I will not be giving a location or what my job is.

I DO have a FF hat to take along and will give it a Photo-op as soon as I can!

I would have to ask Jeff (or a designated representative)to monitor this as access to the computer from now on will be sporadic as I prepare to leave.

anyone interested?

Jeff.... what do YOU think?

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

beenthere

Count me in.
How do we fill in the blanks? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Sound like a great way to keep tabs on you while your over there taking care of business for us! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jjmk98k

I just thought it would be a way to show support for the troops by donating to the USO.

Jeff, I am guessing we can do somethere here on the forum where people can post to say how much they'll pledge per day??

What makes me feel real good is I know the folks that belong to the forum will follow through with the amount pledged.

Would be nice to hand the USO a nice little check, while giving the FF a little something too, taking care of two communities in one action!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Jeff

Beenthere mentioned that he could be the keeper of the pledge information for us. Folks could simply say they want to pledge here, then let beenthere know who and how much so he can keep track. We can keep the information and amounts private for people that way if they wish for that. :)

Still game Mr. Beethere? ;)

beenthere

I "Bee-there"  ;D

I'll volunteer to record and report the number of pledges, the mean, and the range (Hi-lo) of pledges.
No disclosure of individuals pledges.

Hope this works for all, and should be fun as well as supportive of the USO and the FF.

To date, n = 1, the mean is $1 per day.  Haven't figured the range yet.   ;D

beenthere
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jjmk98k

I was hoping this would draw a lot of folks wanting to help....
Jim

beenthere

To date, n = 2, the mean is $0.75 per day, range $0.5 - $1.00

Jim
I was too.  :)  Don't give up tho.   When do you leave? 
south central Wisconsin

Burlkraft

Well...I'm not much good at math...and from lookin' at his posts, I don't think Beenthere is either.... :D :D :D :D

But.....

Count me in and Kent ya can just tell me what I owe.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jjmk98k

I leave this sunday :(    July 8

beenthere, I really appreicate you stepping up to help make this happen, its for a good cause all the way around!

Jim

Norm

I think so too and would be honored to help out.  :)

I struggled through every math course I ever took.

I'll match what Steve kicks in.... ;D

pigman

I really appreciated the things the USO did for me while I was on my government paid vacation. I hope the small pledge I made will help today's troops.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Thats great guys! Ill be posting pictures and giving updates from "the front". 

For all who kick in to help, and to especially "beenthere",  I am going to try and personally send all who donate a small 4x6 or 6x8 inch flag that will be FLOWN in a A-10 over Iraq in support of the war effort. I cannot promise this, but I will try my best to include a flag and a certificate saying it was flown on so & so date by so & so pilot.

I have a flag from my Kuwait trip in 2001, its a nice coversation peice as it was flown over Afghanistan and was on a heavy bombing mission onboard a F-15 "Strike Eagle"

My unit is deploying with about 225 people and we maintain the A-10 Thunderbolt II Attack aircraft. Anyone who ever seen footage of what the A-10 can do, knows how deadly a weapons platform it is.

The Army and Marines love it and I love to keep it flying for them!

Jim

Reddog

Jim,
I am due to make a donation to the USO.
Please PM your name and I will make it in your Honor, as I have and will for other people serving.

Wally

jjmk98k

glad to see this pick up a little!!! thanks guys! its helping the troops, and the Forum.

I should be "over there" roughly 72 days......

Jeff, can you insert the pic I emailed to you here?

Jim

Ed_K

Jim, good luck and be safe.
I always liked watching the F111s take off and land but didn't like seeing a 52 come in over me when we were working on a snare platform one day. The SR71 is impressive too.
Ed K

jjmk98k

Beenthere, how many "pledgers" do we have so far??!

LOL, what and I worth per day?

Jim

pigman

Jim, you are worth a lot for serving our country. We are just a bunch of cheapscapes for not doing more. :( ;D

I think it would be a good idea to tell the uninformed some of the things the USO does to support the troops. I think most people have heard of the big USO shows  on holidays with Bob Hope and other big stars. The USO is a lot more than that. Only a very few soldiers get to the big shows. Most of the troops were and I am sure, are still, in places that the big stars never get to. They have lesser name entertainers that go out to the smaller or more dangerous places and entertain the troops. I had never witnessed so many men cry as I did when a Korean  USO sponsored group performing at a small firebase back in the woods, sing "Oh how I want to go Home" in their broken Engilish.

Bob
Also, when I was discharged from active duty at Fort Lewis Washington, the USO probably saved me from being thrown in the stockade. I traveled to the Seattle airport too late to get a flight out that night. I was still in uniform so that I could fly home at reduced cost on military standby. Just as I was sitting down in the waiting area for a long night, a big ugly Army MP approached me. After a few moments of just staring at me, he stated that I was not properly dressed, I had my coat unbuttoned. Where I had been for fourteen months the MPs never bothered us since our weapons were larger than theirs.  Just as I was deciding whether to curse at him or just strip the uniform off, a little grey haired lady approached and told the MP that she would take care of me. 8) She led me a room that had drinks, food and row of cots. Since I hadn't had any sleep in three days, I chose the cot . 
Bob

beenthere

Jim
To date, n = 6, the mean is $0.83 per day, range $0.50 - $1.00

Now don't get discouraged, you are worth more than that.......and that plane is too... ;D ;D ;D

Have a safe trip Sunday and beyond.
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Hum... so in my "fuzzy math" this has roughy raised .42 per day deployed for the USO....... I'd like to see that go higher.... I thought the "kicking in" of the flags flown over Iraq would help draw some attention to this.

The USO is such a good, honorable organization and will be here on sunday to support us and our Families as we leave.

I have seen powerwalkers get pledges for cancer and other noble causes bring a ton of donations in. I was hoping this would to, not for myself... but for all the others who will deploy and continue to deploy as the war on terror goes on.  Its more than a "bumper sticker" slogan to us......... Fight them there or fight them here

Jim

Patty

I will match what Norm adds to the total.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ellmoe

Hadn't looked in on this thread before today. Put this military brat down for $2/day. Be safe Jim, and good luck.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

beenthere

Update,

To date, FF pledges = 9, the mean is $1.00 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Jim flies off tomorrow.
I take it that the pic shown is of the A-10 Warthog, and Jim is flying it over Iraq. That correct? 

YouTube of A-10

Keep safe and thanks to you and your buddies.
south central Wisconsin

JV

Count me in.  The USO sure helped smooth over some of the rough times when I was in the
army overseas.  Meant a lot.

Retired from 434th Base Civil Engineers (civilian) at Grissom Air Reserve Base in January. 
We are a tanker base with KC 135's but had A-10's at one time.  Those flying cannon
platforms are something to watch.  Watched the "gun plumbers" clear a jam one day.
Pipe wrench and a hammer, if I remember right.

Take care and best wishes.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

beenthere

Thanks JV

Latest

To date, FF pledges = 10, the mean is $1.00 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

good to see this pick up, I onyl work on them.... not silly enought to want to fly in them!!!

God bless you all,

Jim is outta here and will update when I get in country!
Jim

Patty

Come home safe and tell your buddies how much I appreciate what you do.  :)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

jjmk98k

Update, its 115 degrees here at my stopping point just before going to my final spot. All is going well... the flight was long and tiring but all in all the trip is off to a good start!

talk soon, Jim
Jim

Teri

thanks for the update,and looking forward to hearing more... :)  keep safe!!! :)

stumpy

Count me in for $1 a day and Thank you for doing what you do.  No matter what the Liberals say, you are doing important work and it's people like you that keep us safe and free.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

beenthere

To date, FF pledges = 11, the mean is $1.00 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Bringing this to the top.
Don't want to kick this 'horse' if it wants to lie down, but will give it a quiet "gid-app" just in case it has a mind to move forward.   ;D ;D

Hope all is well with you Jim. Also hope your days are safe, and that they go quickly in that heat.
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Hello all, I have been in country a few days now and all is going well. Its a little hot here, but at least its nice and dry. The working are we work out of is air conditioned, but sooner or later you have to go out in the heat!

Its a good feeling to be here to contribute to the war effort and to make sure the guys on the ground have good, accurate close air support from our planes!

Jim

beenthere

Jim
No changes in the pledges, but we are interested in keeping up with your sweat equity job over in the heat of the battle. Hope you stay safe and keep us posted.
Thinkin about ya.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

You bet. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of you in a Forestry Forum hat over there. ;)

Part_Timer

Jim some how I missed this one on the first go around.  Thanks for every thing your doing and a special thanks to your family for supporting you as well.  Not everyone is willing to stand the line but I'm sure glad there are folks that will. 

I heard that they are going to retire the A-10 ???.  That sure would be a shame it's one fine aircraft.  Any chance of you posting a pic of you and the Maint. crew you work with?

Beenthere count me in

Jim be safe and Thank you

Tom and Katie

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jjmk98k

Hey guys, Ill work on a pic this weekend..... now that the sandstorms are over!!!!!

today it hit 108 degrees, 124  degrees if in direct sunlight! but its good to be here and doing the job!

the food at the chow hall is getting old, but Ill manage to get by on cereal and Peanut butter and jelly.....

Jim

scsmith42

First time I saw this thread - thanks Beenthere for mentioning it in that other post.

I'll match the highest post to date (by Elmoe) - put me down for 2 bucks a day.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Patty

Jim!

Thanks for the update...I was just thinking about you.

108 degrees!  :o   Yikes! Stay cool, drink lots of water, and keep us posted.

We do appreciate you very much.  ;)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Paschale

Hey there Jim,

Thanks for everything you do!  I wish I could shake every soldiers hand who's serving over there, but especially a fellow FFer.  Thanks for your service and dedication...and I'm making a pledge too!

Looking forward to updates...

air_plane
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

metalspinner

My BIL got back from Iraq not to long ago.  He was there for one year.  He sure did appreciate the USO gigs. :)
Thanks for keeping up the good fight!

Beenthere, put me down. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

jjmk98k,

I want to express my appreciation for what you are doing.  Keep us posted ;D.

Beenthere, count me in too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Jim, keep your head down. Been there and done that, my current obligations are mobilizing troops here in the states. Looking forward to your pictures and updates. Let us know if you need anything.

Stew

SSG, US Army
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jjmk98k

thanks for all the words guys, its nice to know folks back home didnt forget about us over here......

Ill be posting in my new post "updates from the front, Iraq through my eyes" with any new or significant updates.

Thanks for all, Jim
Jim

DanG

Thanks to you and all the rest for being there, Jim.  Most people don't seem to have a clue how important it is.  Don't be discouraged by the slow start of this ForestryForum project.  These things tend to start off that way, but steadily grow.  Must be something to do with the procrastination that run's rampant in this bunch, eh? :D  I'll get my pledge in to Beenthere as soon as I get a round tuit. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

Hey Jim,

I just back in circulation...I think I missed your leaving. Take great care over there. I hear it's hot as......an easy bake oven this time of year. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Keep them Hogs flyin and yer head down....

Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

For a weekly update

To date, FF pledges = 17, the mean is $1.03 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

A couple members are pledging a fixed amount rather than a per day pledge, not included in the above count.

Thanks to the members for keeping this spinning and moving on...PM me for your pledge, or just pass on some kudos or high 5's to the men and women in the air and on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan (and elsewhere too).

south central Wisconsin

Roxie

Count me in for a dollar a day!   :)
Say when

jjmk98k

WOW, you guys are really making this happen!! I am thrilled!!!!

thank you all!!!!!
Jim

beenthere

Time to bring this forward for an update. We have a good start on support for both the USO and the FF. Room for more to pledge, and lesser amounts per day are certainly welcome too.

To date, FF pledges = 19, the mean is $1.03 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Maybe we can get another update from Jim on his tour in Iraq. Jim is thinking another 6 weeks of his help is needed there, for about 70 days total. Jim has given us a better look and feel for what our men and women are doing there to support the mission.

PM me as several have, or leave a message here, will be fine.
south central Wisconsin

theorm

Hey,

I've been there & there & there. Getting the little things taken care of was always a big help. The USO did a bunch for me, it's time to return the favor. Put me down for $2 a day.

Good Luck,
Theo
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

beenthere

Thanks for keeping this spinning, theorm.

Would you give us an idea what the USO does for our men and women?  I'm not sure I really know, and others may like to know more too.

Thanks
(have-not beenthere)
south central Wisconsin

Radar67

One of the things the USO does for our troops is to provide concerts. This quality entertainment increases morale and takes them away from the daily grind if for just a couple of hours.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

theorm

Quote from: beenthere on August 01, 2007, 11:19:14 PM
Would you give us an idea what the USO does for our men and women?  I'm not sure I really know, and others may like to know more too.

Thanks
(have-not beenthere)

I spent nine years in the navy in the 70s. Public receptivity was less than stellar. When I was traveling through airports, the USO usually had a lounge where we could hang out. Lots of free coffee, donuts, sandwiches, magazines, pool table. The staff was helpful with information on anything from flight schedules, local attractions or just asking "Where are you from, son?"  Talking about home and mom's cooking always made me feel a little warm and fuzzy.

I never had the chance to get to a concert type USO show. Trying to fit all of those people on a submarine would be VERY cozy.

Coffee and a sandwich doesn't sound like much, but when $183 a month was gross pay, net pay would only buy a sandwich a day for about 3 weeks. Pay and public sentiment have improved, but our servicemen and women still deserve much more than they are getting.

Don't get me wrong, that time of my life was the most interesting and maturing periods in my life. I'd do it a again in a heartbeat. Now it is time to give something back. Donating to the FF and the USO is the least that I can do. I feel like a cheapskate only donating about a "month's wages".

sail_smiley
Theo

jjmk98k

WOW, good to see this post still kicking! All is well here in Sunny and dusty Iraq! Having a mild dust storm today, but all in all I cannot complian as my brothers and sisters outside the wire and kicking down doors have a lot more to worry and complain about than I do!

Again, thanks to all who has donated so far! As of now, my tour will be over around the 15th of september
Jim

Roxie

It's so good to hear from you!!  Please continue to update us when you get the opportunity!   :)
Say when

beenthere

I'll throw in this update:

To date, FF pledges = 20, the mean is $1.08 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

See the first post for details, and make a pledge of any amount to the FF and USO to show your support (or just give some good words out for the work and sweat so many are doing to put a damper on the turmoil abroad and here at home). That "kicking down doors" really sounds like a terrible way to start out one's day. The very thought is going to stay with me for a time.

Our prayers are with you over there in the heat and danger.
south central Wisconsin

Ed_K

My best memory of the USO was vanilla ice cream. It may sound small, but in SE Asia it was a big Treat  ;). And calling home once in a while too!over.
Ed K

Norm

I don't let the media tell me much it's what folks do that shows. Patty was getting her hair cut at our local hairdresser. She was waiting for the guy in front of her to pay. Alma told him the haircut was on her and all the haircuts from now on were on her. The young man graciously accepted and left. Alma told Patty he had just returned from a 2 year tour of Iraq and she was more than happy to show her thanks.

I feel the same about helping out here. :)

Ed_K

Norm, that was down right nice. Tell Patty when she goes again to tell her hair dresser I said Thank You to her.
Ed K

pigman

Norm, your story reminds me of when I was on R and R in Aussie land and a cab driver gave me a free ride. They ussually just let you round the fare up to the nearest $.10 with no tip, but he let me ride for free. I suppose he knew by my hillbilly accent that I was poor. I really appreciated the way everyone there treated me . 8)

Bob

Norm

I will Ed, thanks. :)

I guess I get tired of hearing politicos tell me how they support the troops while stabbing them in the back at the same time. The reason they're hitting us so hard over there is they know some in DC will cut and run the second they can.

Patty's best friend has a daughter whose husband just got deployed overseas for a 13 month tour. She's got a 6 month old daughter of her own and a full time job. Shortly after he left the washer started giving her trouble. The repair man came in fixed the washer and noticed the dryer had some problems and took care of it also. Molly got out her checkbook to pay but the guy said nope your money's no good. He knew her husband was overseas and said it was his way of saying thanks. That's how you support our folks in uniform.

Mooseherder

That is an awesome message Norm.
Thanks for sharing.

customsawyer

I am reminded of the words of a song it goes somethng like this. "All gave some, some gave all." So the least we can do is give a little count me in as I figure like others have said that I owe the USO more than I could ever pay back.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

Thanks for the continuing spin on this, and the words from the song.  A lot said in that line.

To date, FF pledges = 21, the mean is $1.10 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Jim:  We hope the USO is treating you well. Good luck with the heat.

south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Well, things have been better..... dang insurgents blew up a water supply line  which equals very short showers only during certain times.  I had to go three days without a shower, working 15 hour days...... because I was always missing the shower times..... and sleep was more important than showering to me. So I took a rugged GI shower using baby wipes for two days then finally took a shower and I felt like a new man.

There is a concrete barrier that the USAF Security Forces have a large mural painted.... featuring the faces of fallen Air Force Security Forces folks...... well, they added another face to the wall this week :(   

I walk past this wall every day... the lated addition, an Airman First Class (E-3), so the kid was probably only 19-20 years old.....

Last week we lost a Marine on base due to a maintenance related mishap.

Jim

Reddog

Sorry to hear Jim.
Hopefully things will go better. Thanks for the update, I always wonder how you are doing.

Wally

estiers

Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

beenthere

jjmk98k
We appreciate the news, and our prayers to those and their families who are paying such a high price.

Glad to inform you that we have added another to the pledge list, and it now stands at

To date, FF pledges = 22, the mean is $1.09 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Anyone know how the USO is supported, staffed, and funded? 
I've been meaning to ask, as well as google on it some time.
south central Wisconsin

TexasTimbers

Hang tough. Sept is not far off.

Y'all should be getting a box of goodies this week. Tell Rich he has to share with you. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Teri

beenthere

Bringing this back to the top.
FF member Jim (jjmk98k) is doing a tour in Iraq, for many of us. He proposed a plan for us to pledge a few cents a day ( 10 to 20 cents) for the number of days he would be gone. He wanted to provide a way to show support for the USO  (http://www.uso.org/ ) as well as the Forestry Forum.  His tour is expected to wind down in about 3 weeks. That would be about 70 days total.
We're doin pretty well.

To date, FF pledges = 22, the mean is $1.09 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

No new pledge activity in the last 10 days, but just don't want to miss anyone who would like to join in. So far, there has been great support for Jim's proposal.

Send me a PM and I can add your name to the pledge list, for any amount you wish. Settling up will be figured out after Jim is through with his tour. Forum thanks to those who have been very generous and I'm sure Jim appreciates a chance to tell his friends where he gets support.
In addition, others have sent things to Jim directly. Others are making connections with 'adopting' a soldier, and I plan to do that as well.

For those outside the US, you have opportunities to support your soldiers looking out for you. I think the Forestry Forum is great for all of us.  ;D ;D

south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Hey Guys!!!

First allow me to say a heartfelt "Thank you" to all of you who joined in and decided to give to the USO / FF fund drive. Each time I see someone else join in, it makes me feel goog knowing my efforts here are being noticed. I am sure when i get home, the USO will be there to welcome us home.

The USO... on the day I left was there at our base to hand out coffee, soda, water, snack, toiletries and other things for us who were deploying as well as family members who where there to see us off. The folks who were doing it, they were all VOLUNTEERS.........  they came around giving us all sorts of nice little things to make the trip here a little more bearable.

Second,

An update..... Being here has really given me a real sense of mission accomplishment..... Seeing jets return safely, but missing bombs and rockets is a good sight. It means they took out some bad guys..... guy who were planting IEDs or doing harm otherwise.  The pilots climbs down from thier long missions..... they are tired, but smiling knowing they helped our brothers on the ground. They gladly tell the stories the nightly news never does...... and while it it sometimes seems evil.... we are all happy to hear the body count..... 7 less terrorists one day, 15 the other..... better them than ours.

There is always a aura around us as we talk of the missions, especially if it was a good one for us!  Just for that moment, its all worth it..... the missing of home, the 3 minute showers, the crappy chow hall food, long hours and severe heat... all worth being a part of "Bombs on target"

I have worked each and every day since i left home.... sometimes pulling a 15-18 hour day... not a SINGLE day off!

I spend my days dealing with all the work, paperwork, disipline issues with people, training records, safety issues, heath problems, support to my younger troops... I have done it all. I have filled sandbags, cleaned porta pottis.... helped build a deck, made a workbench, get the water buffalo filled, run folks to the hospital, we do it all here. I am a Master Sargeant (E-7) but like most of us in uniform, a team player. I never ask my younger troops to do antyhing I have not already done, or will not do with them.

Again, thanks to everyone who has written words of support, donated to this "pledge" event and especially thanks to everyone who has mailed a package! All the "random acts of kindness" has been greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Jim

Jim

beenthere

Thanks to you and your fellow soldiers.

Thanks too, for the small opportunity you set up for us to become a part of this support effort.

To date, we have 22 pledges of $1.09 each day you are away (your estimate now is to be home on Sept 20) which will total to around $1800 to split with USO and FF. There may still be more pledges, but I'm thinking we've about reached the end.  PM me if anyone still wants to be added to the list of 22.

I'll PM those who pledged with follow-up details after Jim gets home, and pray that all will be safe in their return.
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

A most sincere thank you for all who contributed to this effort.  The USO is a great organization and the donation will be a nice help to them, and the FF gets a little donation too.......
Jim

MikeH

Hold the bus, I just ran across this!  It should be posted in all catagorys. 8)

beenthere

All
For an update, Jim has returned home and is getting his life back together. He posted in the temporary forum and told us in its General Forum thread "To Iraq and Back" that he would bring us up to speed on some of his experiences. We're sure he is very busy, and when he has time will let us know the number of days he figures he was on tour and a bit about them. He was there a good three months.

Will keep you posted as to how to handle the USO/FF pledge and/or contribution, in honor of the soldiers in Iraq and to support the USO and FF. This will be on the honor system, and without any additional record keeping.  :)

Jim, thanks for the suggestion and the idea for supporting USO/FF.
south central Wisconsin

Ed_K

Thanks for the update Beenthere, I'm glad Jim is back in the states. We all can breath a little easier now  8) .
Remember all, keep praying for all our troops still stationed all over the world.
Ed K

scsmith42

Beenthere - I'll be watching for your PM. 

One request... - please make a posting on this string letting us know that you've sent all of the PM's out, so that we'll know to follow up with you in the event that we don't receive the PM (sometimes thingss get lost in cyberspace...)

Thanks.

Scott

beenthere

Update
Still waiting to hear from Jim (jjmk98k).  Hoping he is doing okay. Prolly very busy.

Will post here when I hear, as well as PM those who need to know directly.
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Hey gang, sorry I been away so much. I am finally somewhat back to normal.

I just wanted to say one more time thank you all so very much for all your support while i was away in Iraq! I already volunteered for a tour to Afghanistan next year for three months....

I been busy getting ready for deer season, catching up with my mom and dad, spening some alone time at my cabin upstate PA.... and talking long QUIET walks in the woods..... its so nice and a HUGE change from noisy Iraq!

Jim

scsmith42

Hey Beenthere - have you gotten a chance to figure out what we all owe?  I'm still looking for the PM on the amount to donate as well as where to send it.

Thanks.

Scott

beenthere

Hang in there....Jim will get back to me with his number of days...around 72 I think. Waiting for Jim to confirm.
Will be in touch with you soon, I expect.  ;D
Thanks for bringing this to the top.
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Jim has confirmed that he was on his tour for 72 days.
The suggested plan is to settle up your 'per-day' pledge by splitting it, half to the USO and half to the Forestry Forum.
Pledge summary for 23 members, for an average pledge of $1.09 per day, pledged a total of $1800.

PayPal or Credit Card will work (or you can send check or money order if you prefer).
The USO site is:
https://www.uso.org/donate/

and the Forestry Forum donate site is in the left column here.

I will remind those of their pledge amount by PM, just as a friendly reminder per their request. 

If others want to join in, they are welcome to jump in, and send what they would like.  The USO donation site has a place to check in honor of James McGuire. You may also communicate the same to Jeff if you'd like.

No followup will be made on funds contributed.

It's been great to have one of our members bring us in to esperience some of the rigors of taking the time out of their personal lives to contribute to the goals and obligations our country felt was the right action to take in Iraq. Many can debate the worthiness of the actions, and hindsite is 20/20. But our thanks are to Jim, and the many like him, who have given their time, and many who have given their all to their country. Take the time in the future to thank and talk to those who have served, and to listen to their experiences in Iraq.

I hope and trust this fills everyone in, and brings this to a close,
........and to Jim.....I thank you.   :) :) :)

If you have any questions, or I left out something, please let me know.
beenthere
south central Wisconsin

Norm

I'll make sure my donations are sent out Monday. Jim thank you for helping out the FF and most of all your hard work for a great country. God Bless the USA.

Beenthere thank you too. :)

beenthere

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and participation.

Jim earlier said this about his tour..

"My unit is deploying with about 225 people and we maintain the A-10 Thunderbolt II Attack aircraft. Anyone who ever seen footage of what the A-10 can do, knows how deadly a weapons platform it is."

So his tour was in Iraq and supporting the Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) there.

This will help when filling out the USO donation form.

south central Wisconsin

Ed_K

Had a little trouble filling in the info to the uso (fudged it) but its done. Jeff will get a Christmas card soon too  8) .
Ed K

theorm

8)
I had to fudge a little too, got 'er done!

Does this mean that this thread has changed to food too?

??? 8) ??? 8) ???

Theo

scsmith42

After thinking about the worthiness of both of these causes (FF and USO), I decided to double my donation to $4.00 per day - split between the two of them.

BT - that should take the amount raised to almost 2K.

Jim (and Jeff), thanks much for the service.

Scott

Jeff

Thanks so much to everyone for supporting this from Tammy and I and I know from the whole membership. Special thanks to Jim for the idea and to beenthere for the implementation.  :)

wmrussel

Thanks for the reminder Kent!  I finally got to the USO website and made my pledge good. 

Thanks for your service Jim! 
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Thank You Sponsors!