iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help support the Forum and the USO!

Started by jjmk98k, June 27, 2007, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Hello all,  and especially JEFF!!!!

I will be leaving for a trip to Iraq   :o very soon and will be there 60-90 days (so they tell us). Anyway, I came up with a idea and would like to know if anyone would be willing to support it?

Most of you know of the "USO", www.uso.org , they support US forces in the US and overseas by provinding a little "peice of home". I personally consider them a outstanding organization.  8)

and you all are familiar with the Forestry forum....

So, I am asking folks to pledge any amount they can on a day basis, such as .10-.30 cents per day for each day I spend in Iraq. Once my tour is complete the total amount raised will be split 50/50, half going to FF, the other half to the USO.

I will be able to provide updates from overseas and pictures once in a while to show where I am and whats going on.  I will not be giving a location or what my job is.

I DO have a FF hat to take along and will give it a Photo-op as soon as I can!

I would have to ask Jeff (or a designated representative)to monitor this as access to the computer from now on will be sporadic as I prepare to leave.

anyone interested?

Jeff.... what do YOU think?

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

beenthere

Count me in.
How do we fill in the blanks? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Sound like a great way to keep tabs on you while your over there taking care of business for us! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jjmk98k

I just thought it would be a way to show support for the troops by donating to the USO.

Jeff, I am guessing we can do somethere here on the forum where people can post to say how much they'll pledge per day??

What makes me feel real good is I know the folks that belong to the forum will follow through with the amount pledged.

Would be nice to hand the USO a nice little check, while giving the FF a little something too, taking care of two communities in one action!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Jeff

Beenthere mentioned that he could be the keeper of the pledge information for us. Folks could simply say they want to pledge here, then let beenthere know who and how much so he can keep track. We can keep the information and amounts private for people that way if they wish for that. :)

Still game Mr. Beethere? ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I "Bee-there"  ;D

I'll volunteer to record and report the number of pledges, the mean, and the range (Hi-lo) of pledges.
No disclosure of individuals pledges.

Hope this works for all, and should be fun as well as supportive of the USO and the FF.

To date, n = 1, the mean is $1 per day.  Haven't figured the range yet.   ;D

beenthere
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jjmk98k

I was hoping this would draw a lot of folks wanting to help....
Jim

beenthere

To date, n = 2, the mean is $0.75 per day, range $0.5 - $1.00

Jim
I was too.  :)  Don't give up tho.   When do you leave? 
south central Wisconsin

Burlkraft

Well...I'm not much good at math...and from lookin' at his posts, I don't think Beenthere is either.... :D :D :D :D

But.....

Count me in and Kent ya can just tell me what I owe.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jjmk98k

I leave this sunday :(    July 8

beenthere, I really appreicate you stepping up to help make this happen, its for a good cause all the way around!

Jim

Norm

I think so too and would be honored to help out.  :)

I struggled through every math course I ever took.

I'll match what Steve kicks in.... ;D

pigman

I really appreciated the things the USO did for me while I was on my government paid vacation. I hope the small pledge I made will help today's troops.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Thats great guys! Ill be posting pictures and giving updates from "the front". 

For all who kick in to help, and to especially "beenthere",  I am going to try and personally send all who donate a small 4x6 or 6x8 inch flag that will be FLOWN in a A-10 over Iraq in support of the war effort. I cannot promise this, but I will try my best to include a flag and a certificate saying it was flown on so & so date by so & so pilot.

I have a flag from my Kuwait trip in 2001, its a nice coversation peice as it was flown over Afghanistan and was on a heavy bombing mission onboard a F-15 "Strike Eagle"

My unit is deploying with about 225 people and we maintain the A-10 Thunderbolt II Attack aircraft. Anyone who ever seen footage of what the A-10 can do, knows how deadly a weapons platform it is.

The Army and Marines love it and I love to keep it flying for them!

Jim

Reddog

Jim,
I am due to make a donation to the USO.
Please PM your name and I will make it in your Honor, as I have and will for other people serving.

Wally

jjmk98k

glad to see this pick up a little!!! thanks guys! its helping the troops, and the Forum.

I should be "over there" roughly 72 days......

Jeff, can you insert the pic I emailed to you here?

Jim

Ed_K

Jim, good luck and be safe.
I always liked watching the F111s take off and land but didn't like seeing a 52 come in over me when we were working on a snare platform one day. The SR71 is impressive too.
Ed K

jjmk98k

Beenthere, how many "pledgers" do we have so far??!

LOL, what and I worth per day?

Jim

pigman

Jim, you are worth a lot for serving our country. We are just a bunch of cheapscapes for not doing more. :( ;D

I think it would be a good idea to tell the uninformed some of the things the USO does to support the troops. I think most people have heard of the big USO shows  on holidays with Bob Hope and other big stars. The USO is a lot more than that. Only a very few soldiers get to the big shows. Most of the troops were and I am sure, are still, in places that the big stars never get to. They have lesser name entertainers that go out to the smaller or more dangerous places and entertain the troops. I had never witnessed so many men cry as I did when a Korean  USO sponsored group performing at a small firebase back in the woods, sing "Oh how I want to go Home" in their broken Engilish.

Bob
Also, when I was discharged from active duty at Fort Lewis Washington, the USO probably saved me from being thrown in the stockade. I traveled to the Seattle airport too late to get a flight out that night. I was still in uniform so that I could fly home at reduced cost on military standby. Just as I was sitting down in the waiting area for a long night, a big ugly Army MP approached me. After a few moments of just staring at me, he stated that I was not properly dressed, I had my coat unbuttoned. Where I had been for fourteen months the MPs never bothered us since our weapons were larger than theirs.  Just as I was deciding whether to curse at him or just strip the uniform off, a little grey haired lady approached and told the MP that she would take care of me. 8) She led me a room that had drinks, food and row of cots. Since I hadn't had any sleep in three days, I chose the cot . 
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Jim
To date, n = 6, the mean is $0.83 per day, range $0.50 - $1.00

Now don't get discouraged, you are worth more than that.......and that plane is too... ;D ;D ;D

Have a safe trip Sunday and beyond.
south central Wisconsin

jjmk98k

Hum... so in my "fuzzy math" this has roughy raised .42 per day deployed for the USO....... I'd like to see that go higher.... I thought the "kicking in" of the flags flown over Iraq would help draw some attention to this.

The USO is such a good, honorable organization and will be here on sunday to support us and our Families as we leave.

I have seen powerwalkers get pledges for cancer and other noble causes bring a ton of donations in. I was hoping this would to, not for myself... but for all the others who will deploy and continue to deploy as the war on terror goes on.  Its more than a "bumper sticker" slogan to us......... Fight them there or fight them here

Jim

Patty

I will match what Norm adds to the total.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ellmoe

Hadn't looked in on this thread before today. Put this military brat down for $2/day. Be safe Jim, and good luck.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

beenthere

Update,

To date, FF pledges = 9, the mean is $1.00 per day, range $0.50 - $2.00

Jim flies off tomorrow.
I take it that the pic shown is of the A-10 Warthog, and Jim is flying it over Iraq. That correct? 

YouTube of A-10

Keep safe and thanks to you and your buddies.
south central Wisconsin

JV

Count me in.  The USO sure helped smooth over some of the rough times when I was in the
army overseas.  Meant a lot.

Retired from 434th Base Civil Engineers (civilian) at Grissom Air Reserve Base in January. 
We are a tanker base with KC 135's but had A-10's at one time.  Those flying cannon
platforms are something to watch.  Watched the "gun plumbers" clear a jam one day.
Pipe wrench and a hammer, if I remember right.

Take care and best wishes.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Thank You Sponsors!