iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone using AMZoil in their chainsaw/brushsaw?

Started by SwampDonkey, June 26, 2007, 07:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, I'm using AMZoil Saber Synthetic 2-cycle 100:1 Pre-Mix Oil in my Stihl FS550 brush saw. There is 8 oz's to a container. Now this oil is about $2 more than Stihl Mix oil. It says on the label to mix 100:1 for chainsaws. Supposedly, it cuts emissions, and saves on fuel. I was told not to mix it 100:1 on the lable, what is meant by that is there is half the amount of oil used in a five gallon gas jug as the regular Stihl oil mix oil. So, 8 oz in the container does 5 gallons, that gives 50:1 mix. Ok, I know some folks mixing it 100:1 as per label which works out to 4 oz's in 16 litres of fuel. Their saws didn't blow up.

I have a brand new FS550 brush saw and started out with the regular Stihl mix oil and switched over to AMZoil at 100:1 mix and I burnt close to 16 tanks through it. I began to loose power after a few tanks. I asked the guys at the shop and they said it was too lean, gotta go 50:1 and they adjusted the jets. It would start easy with the 100:1 mix I had been using. It just acted to me it wasn't getting enough air. Well after getting the jets adjusted it still was gutless back in the woods. So, I said to myself it's got to be the filters. So, I took the main filter out, which is plastic with a fine fibreglass mesh over it. It looked clean, but I soaked her in gas and then reinstalled. Well that solved it for power.

So, my question is do I use 100:1 as recommended by the oil company or 50:1 as recommended by Stihl. If I have to use 50:1, then i might as well use Stihl's oil, because it's cheaper and it is good oil to start with. So far I have not seen an increase in 'mileage' per tank and the exhaust smells like it would with regular Stihl oil. I can't get any more than 45 minutes per tank no matter what oil brand I use.

Just wondering if anyone is using AMZoil and what mix they use.

AMSOIL "Saber" Synthetic 2-Cycle Pre-Mix Oil

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

I run  Saber( amsoil ) also a dealer.
But I wont cant afford to risk a 100 to1 mix. I believe in the product. Run both my Dodges  full amsoil front to back.  I have heard rumors and carving friends that blew saws up at 100to1.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Tony_T

Check your math. 

Your Mix:

1-gal = 128 oz/gal,  5 gal X 128 oz/gal = 640 oz

640 oz gas/8 oz oil = 80gas/oil   e.g. 80:1mix

Your Friends Mix:

1 oz = 29.5625mL/oz   , 4 oz X 29.5625mL/oz = 118.25 mL

1 L = 1000mL/L,  16 L gas X 1000mL/L = 16000 mL gas

16000mL gas/ 118.25 mL oil = 135.307gas/oil e.g. ~135: 1 mix

If someone runs their two stroke at 135: 1 ,  I'm not surprized if it blows up!

sawguy21

I had a customer ask today about running Amsoil in his new Stihl. I advised him not to during the warranty period as Stihl can be difficult about it. I have used Opti 2 in a Husqvarna saw at 100:1 with no ill effects , I pulled the plug and muffler several times to make sure, and the saw ran stronger.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I know Fraser's ( a lumber company here) had staff who used 100:1 on their thinning operations. Gerald said he pulled the plug and broke the engine down several times in the year and the saw was like new. But, I'm going to run her 50:1 to be safe. After I run through this batch of AMZoil, I think I'll go back to Stihl oil. I can't see any difference in performance and exhaust. I've had two saws and can't get more than 45-50 minutes per tank on an FS 550. Some claim 1:15 mins per tank. I'm pretty sure it's them taking 30 mi breaks between tanks, when I only slacken her for 15 mins tops. I burn 8 or 9 tanks a day from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm. I gotta have a saw working at peak to cut those hardwood clumps and pin cherry. When I cleaned that filter yesterday and got full power I was mowing through the hardwood like a whipper snapper through grass.  Zing! Zing! Zing! Zing! ;D  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Tony is right, it is 80:1 mix with the whole 8 oz container in 5 gallons.

For some reason the dealer convinced me that was 50:1  :-\

The price/performance doesn't justify it for me.

For 50:1, the 8 oz is only good for 12 litres (~ 3 gallons).  ::)

Captain

I run Mobil 1 Racing 2T at 40:1, but some of my saws are prettty lean and turn some high RPM.  it is more of an insurance policy :)  Absolutely no smoke and clean combustion chambers.  I'm probably going to switch to AmsOil Sabre for awhile as NFDBrian is a dealer and has some on hand.

Captain

Lorax

I've been using Amsoil Saber in my Husqvarna 3120 that is used in my chainsaw mill for the past 4 years.  I use a 50:1 ratio.  The last time I bought some via the internet was in May and it was $9.15 a quart.

caz

Been using Amz @ 100:1 for 16 years in all my saws weed eaters etc wouldnt use anything else.

Great stuff

SwampDonkey

I think the big difference in price here is it's imported and the high oil tax. It's almost $7 for 8 oz.  ::)

MDP

I've been running the Amsoil Saber for about two years know at 64:1  which is 10 oz. to 5 gallons of gas, sometimes I'll go 10 oz. to 5.5 gallons which is 70:1. Everything runs real smooth and very little carbon build up on the piston and exhaust port, I also run premium gas which helps keep the carbon down too. I run my saws hard all day and most everyday no oil related problems yet.

Mark

SwampDonkey

I talked to 3 other fella on the crew and they been using it 80 or 100:1 and their =saws never blew.

I wish some people knew what they were selling.  ::)

woodbowl

I'm afraid of Amsoil now. Hopefully time has improved the product or conditions just happened to pick me as the guinea pig.

I used Amsoil 100:1 ratio in my ultralight aircraft successfully for a few months before seizing a piston. I've often wondered if the performance margine was too close to the conditions in my area. It is very hot here in the south and UL's go through a different range of tempertures/time factor coefficients.

About 20 years ago I was on final and chopped the power to glide in. That's a no no with 2 cycles in the air because the air flow over the fins are cooling the cylinder at a faster rate than the piston causing the cylinder to shrink around the piston. This is called a cold seizure. The common practice is to maintain enough RPM and the heat will be there for the cool down rate to be equal.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day, but ever since then I've been skiddish of ANY 2 cylcle oil that claims 100:1  It's nice to hear of the success stories in chain saws and other applications. Personally I believe 100:1 is skipping around the edge and the benifits of performance are minute compared to backing off a certain percentage. I must admit though, it was nice to see those clean plugs on a regular basis, normally they would fowl at around 8 hours.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

maple flats

I have some 100:1 but have not tried it yet. The dealer said to use it @ 50:1 to protect the warranty on the Husky 359.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

MrJim

The benefits will not be worth your worry.

Just use Stihl oil.   High grade gas, replace the inside gass filter, clean air filter, grease the cutting head gear once a year.

Stihl has synthetic oil, tho many dealers don't stock it because it costs more without much extra benefits.

If u want to play, play with the cheap trimmer.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 26, 2007, 07:48:43 PM
Ok, I'm using AMZoil Saber Synthetic 2-cycle 100:1 Pre-Mix Oil in my Stihl FS550 brush saw. There is 8 oz's to a container. Now this oil is about $2 more than Stihl Mix oil. It says on the label to mix 100:1 for chainsaws. Supposedly, it cuts emissions, and saves on fuel. I was told not to mix it 100:1 on the lable, what is meant by that is there is half the amount of oil used in a five gallon gas jug as the regular Stihl oil mix oil. So, 8 oz in the container does 5 gallons, that gives 50:1 mix. Ok, I know some folks mixing it 100:1 as per label which works out to 4 oz's in 16 litres of fuel. Their saws didn't blow up.

I have a brand new FS550 brush saw and started out with the regular Stihl mix oil and switched over to AMZoil at 100:1 mix and I burnt close to 16 tanks through it. I began to loose power after a few tanks. I asked the guys at the shop and they said it was too lean, gotta go 50:1 and they adjusted the jets. It would start easy with the 100:1 mix I had been using. It just acted to me it wasn't getting enough air. Well after getting the jets adjusted it still was gutless back in the woods. So, I said to myself it's got to be the filters. So, I took the main filter out, which is plastic with a fine fibreglass mesh over it. It looked clean, but I soaked her in gas and then reinstalled. Well that solved it for power.

So, my question is do I use 100:1 as recommended by the oil company or 50:1 as recommended by Stihl. If I have to use 50:1, then i might as well use Stihl's oil, because it's cheaper and it is good oil to start with. So far I have not seen an increase in 'mileage' per tank and the exhaust smells like it would with regular Stihl oil. I can't get any more than 45 minutes per tank no matter what oil brand I use.

Just wondering if anyone is using AMZoil and what mix they use.

AMSOIL "Saber" Synthetic 2-Cycle Pre-Mix Oil

cheers

SwampDonkey

submarinesailor

For many years I used AMSOIL at 100:1 in my cheap Polan.  Made the big mistake of loaning it to a follow Chief Petty Officer/friend ::) ::) ::).  When I got it back, I found out he had been running 16:1 Polan oil and it ran like $%^&*!!!!.  Never ran the same after that.  Even after I had the carburetor pulled and cleaned.

Now I don't loan out ANY TOOLS and run all my Stihl equipment on AMSOIL at 100:1.  I have always had VERY GOOD LUCK with it.  NOTE:  I'm a Lifetime Dealer and believe in it.  I remember one article in the Dealer's magazine that talked about how most of their pro racers (boats, snowmobiles and motorcycles) run their 2 cycle motors at 150:1 for the extra kick.  But they are always tearing them down and rebuilding them.

Bob_T

QuoteThat's a no no with 2 cycles in the air because the air flow over the fins are cooling the cylinder at a faster rate than the piston causing the cylinder to shrink around the piston.

Woodbowl, I don't have any connection to Amsoil and I'm not a dealer and don't use it in my saws but what you did is kind of like clamping the piston in a vise and blaming the oil when it stays where you put it.  Sorry, but it sounds to me like pilot error and would have happened no matter what oil you used or what the mix was.  Nothing personal.

Bob
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Thank You Sponsors!