iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mice in cabins

Started by JimMartin9999, June 26, 2007, 05:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

I have seen AC rodent repellers  in stores.  Does anyone know where to get ones which use DC?  Batteries?
Or is there a cheap way of  using the AC ones by converting?  Radio Shack has a low watt inverter for $30, add a battery for about $20.
I hate mice.  Any suggestions?
Jim

Raider Bill

How about a good old fashioned mouse trap? I just love that "TWACK" sound!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Furby

I built a better mouse trap and haven't lost my bait yet!
Caught three mice so far as well! ;D

TexasTimbers

I have never found anything more effective than the old fashioned Victor brand mouse trap. Those cheapo chinese things Wal Mart carries right beside the Victor brand are not worth anything.

And I am like RB. I like to hear that THWACK! It sounds like - victory. ;D

On our honeymoon, we had a mouse kept getting into our vittles. We were way up the West Virginia mountains far from civilization. I made a trap out of a small espresso decanter, a shish kabob skewer, and a rubber band. Come to find out, we had alot of mice. I captured a live one nearly every night for two weeks. Out on the deck of the 2 story cabin, which was perched on the mountainside, there was a clay pigeon thrower mounted on the railing. Can you see where this is going ??? ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Haytrader

Wife uses the sticky kind of traps.
We very seldon have a mouse but just the other day she saw one.
She put out 3 or 4 sticky traps and the very next day had the little bugger.
Haytrader

TexasTimbers

that's true, I have had good success with the sticky traps in the shop, but they get sawdust on them and become ineffective in this environment.

Paul_H

How about substituting cheese for baloney with your ol' shopvac trick? ;)

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

TexasTimbers

bitternut

I have a couple of those ultra-sonic things that plug into an outlet. Supposed to repel rodents and bugs. Doesn't seem to do either but the wife wanted them so they are there. I can't hear them but the son-in-law unplugs them every time he is there. Says they bother his ears. If you are not there all the time to reset the traps get a couple of those Tin Cats. They work pretty good and will always be ready to capture another if needed.

isawlogs

Hey Kevjay,
I want to know how you convined Mickey to stay put for da ride on da pigeon thrower.  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Haytrader

I have a guess on that one.
Since he is such a talker, don't suppose he convinced Mickey  that he would be the first "Mouse on the moon"?

;D ;D
Haytrader

Sprucegum

Got any Dill growing in your garden? Put a little bundle of fresh , or dried, Dill in each room and all the mice will leave.

Kcwoodbutcher

I have no problem with mice, but I do have a problem with the nine cats I have. Anybody need a cat?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Paul_H

Quote from: isawlogs on June 26, 2007, 09:52:00 PM

Hey Kevjay,
I want to know how you convined Mickey to stay put for da ride on da pigeon thrower.  ;D

I want to know is why he was building mousetraps and playing with Mice out on the deck on his Honeymoon? smiley_headscratch

A Texas thing mebbe ;)

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Haytrader on June 26, 2007, 10:06:24 PM
I have a guess on that one.
Since he is such a talker, don't suppose he convinced Mickey that he would be the first "Mouse on the moon"?

;D ;D
Shoot, I didn't have to do any talking at all. All I did was double-wrap the rubber band I used to catch the nasty in the first place, and launch it into the great wide open. Glad there was a bag of multi-colored rubber bands.

Is anyone wondering how my bride was situated about this? She was loading the mice after numero uno! 8)

Quote from: Paul_H on June 26, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

I want to know is why he was building mousetraps and playing with Mice out on the deck on his Honeymoon? smiley_headscratch

A Texas thing mebbe ;)

Oh that's good I have edited this too many times already. "building mousetraps" and "playing with mice out on the deck". Those are actually some great memoires. 8)

sbishop

This is how I deal with rodents in my trailer and also at my buddy's camp.

we use a 5gallon bucket, coat hanger(or a piece of copper wire), plastic pop bottle (I think ya'll call it soda), peanut butter,some engine coolant and a 1"X2"X3'.

Cut the coat hanger about 3" longer then the width of the bucket. drill a hole on each end of the plastic pop bottle the same size as the coat hanger. now drill 2 holes in the top of the bucket on each side. insert the coat hanger into the bucket and pop botttle. now the pop bottle should be able to spin freely. put some peanut butter on the pop bottle all away around and test for spinning. put about 3" of engine coolant in the bottom of the bucket.

Last but not least lean a 1"X2"X3' from the floor to the bucket. now the mice will climb the stick jump onto the pop bottle, the pop bottle will spin and ka-splash.

We leave it all winter in the camp and also during the weekdays when not there.

The engine coolant keeps the smell down during the summer months and doesn't freeze in the winter!

I had 11 mice this winter in my trailer when I first check it this spring. Last weekend I had 4.

Sbishop

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Give the man a c-gar, THAT's a better mouse trap!

Weekend_Sawyer

Sbishop, I LIKE IT! gonna try it. I have just put a pice of apple in the bottom of a bucket, lean a 2x4 against it so they can climb up and fall in and then use the 2x4 to flatten them out. Flat mice don't bother me a bit!

Furby, I want to hear the details about your mouse trap.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thurlow

Quote from: sbishop on June 27, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
  plastic pop bottle (I think ya'll call it soda),

Some of us might;   ;D  some of us call it co-coaler, as in.............. y'all want another co-coaler?   8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Raider Bill

Quote from: thurlow on June 27, 2007, 03:37:51 PM
Quote from: sbishop on June 27, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
  plastic pop bottle (I think ya'll call it soda),

Some of us might;   ;D  some of us call it co-coaler, as in.............. y'all want another co-coaler?   8)

Yep he's right, says right here in my how to talk like a tennennessen book, co-coaler :P
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TexasTimbers

around here the 'ol timers say "sodee-pop". Anyway, I like that mouse trap. Gonna build two right now.

thurlow

Mice and rats used to give me a fit around the shop;  had 2 grain tanks about 45-50 yds away;  almost impossible to keep from spilling a little corn or soybeans.  Tried the electronic/ultra-sonic repellers.  Couldn't tell that they made a bit of difference, so just always poisoned 'em.  Took a 5 gal bucket w/lid;  drill a inch and a half hole near the bottom and put in rat/mouse poison.  The hole-in-the-bucket kept pets out of the poison.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Paul_H

Quote from: kevjay on June 26, 2007, 11:46:40 PM
Oh that's good I have edited this too many times already. "building mousetraps" and "playing with mice out on the deck". Those are actually some great memoires. 8

Now don't get riled there Tex,I was just funnin  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!