iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a recipe for exterior wood protectant?

Started by Modat22, June 26, 2007, 02:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I'm looking for a recipe for an exterior use wood protectant, to use on a board and baton barn that can hopefully be sprayed on. I found one years ago that contained something like linn seed oil, mineral spirits and something else but can't locate that one.

I'd like to treat a large barn without breaking the bank on the "T" word.

Thanks
remember man that thy are dust.

beenthere

An old recipe that was great when Penta concentrate (10%) was available is:

10% Boiled Linseed Oil
5% Penta concentrate (10%)
1½% Paraffin
83½% Mineral Spirits

This was applied with brush or sprayer. If for a barn, then #1 or #2 Fuel oil in place of the Mineral Spirits could be substituted.

Penta (Pentachlorophenol) isn't as easily available for public purchase, but Penta crystals used to be available (last I knew, in a 50# bag minimum). But those crystals have to be put into solution to get the 10% concentrate, and some special care and knowledge needs to be considered to do that. The 50#, as I remember, makes a huge amount of Penta concentrate. 

Probably best to find what is available now, and more easily obtained.

To translate the above recipe into quantities, I found the following on a slip of paper.
Penta concentrate    - 3 qts
Boiled Linseed oil      - 1¾ qts
Paraffin wax             - 1/3 lb.
Fuel oil/mineral spirits - 4 gal
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I've often wondered but doesn't putting flamables such as Mineral spirts on your house heighten the fire threat?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

okie

I dont think mineral spirits would be much of a hazard once it dries. Linseed oil can be nasty stuff though, it can spontaneously combust if not handled right. If you use a rag tp apply or wipe off excess, when you get done spread that rag out flat where it can get air all around it to dry. If you wad it up and throw it down it reacts with the oxygen and will combust. There is an article on the web somewhere titled "The house that Dorothy built", This poor woman put lots of back breaking work (mostly by herself) into a beutiful verticle log house just to have it go up in flames when treating it with the linseed oil.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

TexasTimbers

Modat I too am wanting to find a cheap homebrew but mine needs to have some UV blocker so I think I have to go the store bought route.

Okie she rebuilt the house though.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

beenthere

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 26, 2007, 03:08:00 PM
I've often wondered but doesn't putting flamables such as Mineral spirts on your house heighten the fire threat?

No
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

uncle larrys famous walnut stain

5 gal diesel
half gallon boiled linseed oil
half gallon non fibered roofing tar

I roll it on all sides and edges before I put up the siding looks good lasts long and the water beads off   add more tar for darker less for lighter.  The deisel evaporates away so no lingering smell.  My thoughts are a finish like this isnt anymore flamable that store bought non water based finish.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Modat22

okie

Kevjay, I seen where she rebuilt it too. Talk about determination, Its just a shame the first one went up.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Timburr

Modat22, is this the one your looking for?

An olde British recipe, was cook up equal parts of Stockholm tar, terpentine and linseed oil.
Stockholm tar was used here for centuries for water-proofing the caulking on ships. It seals and keeps the nasties at bay.
Linseed oil repels the water and terps or mineral spirits helps it all get into the wood.
Sense is not common

Modat22

actually three mentioned ring a bell, I'm going to investigate all mentioned here for

1. Ease of application
2. cost
3. effectiveness against water/insects (I'm not worried about UV related graying)

Thanks for posting folks

TexasTimbers

Am I fighting a losing battle with the UV thing ya think? maybe I should just let the wood gray right along with my hair.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Modat22

Gray looks nice, You could always use woodmills idea or add a pigment to the treatment. I've been thinking about adding pigment stain to whatever I use because many provide a slight UV protection.

tomboysawyer

Quote from: okie on June 26, 2007, 03:25:49 PM
I dont think mineral spirits would be much of a hazard once it dries. Linseed oil can be nasty stuff though, it can spontaneously combust if not handled right. If you use a rag tp apply or wipe off excess, when you get done spread that rag out flat where it can get air all around it to dry. If you wad it up and throw it down it reacts with the oxygen and will combust. There is an article on the web somewhere titled "The house that Dorothy built", This poor woman put lots of back breaking work (mostly by herself) into a beutiful verticle log house just to have it go up in flames when treating it with the linseed oil.

Here's "The House that Doroty Built" article:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth86.html

jaybird88

i have been researching different stain formulas and doing test in the backyard. some formulas call for
5 oil/1.5 k1
3 oil/3 k1
and .5 oil / 5 kero (i subbed Kerosene for diesel)

can anyone explain the benefit of having more oil?

edit there were different formulas that called for more oil but it only went up to about 50%

farmfromkansas

Saw one once in a magazine, was for about a gallon total, included about a quart of linseed oil and a cup of paraffin, the rest was paint thinner.  Tried it, you heat the paraffin, pour it into the mixture, and it stays liquid.  Used it to seal the inside of a expensive wood garage door. Had redwood panels.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Don P

Quote from: jaybird88 on May 24, 2020, 09:19:23 PM
i have been researching different stain formulas and doing test in the backyard. some formulas call for
5 oil/1.5 k1
3 oil/3 k1

In theory, or sales, more solvent helps it penetrate deeper. It is also the cheapest ingredient so it makes the more expensive ingredients go further. I'm not sure I believe that beyond a solvent concentration thin enough to be easily workable that it helps penetrate any deeper and it dilutes the good stuff.

The penta, oil, paraffin and spirits recipe is the old USFPL WRP, water repellant preservative recipe. The penta was the preservative, the wax and oil were the water repellant. When it faied to bead water it was time to add another coat.

jaybird88

Quote from: Don P on May 24, 2020, 10:21:21 PM
Quote from: jaybird88 on May 24, 2020, 09:19:23 PM
5 oil/1.5 k1
3 oil/3 k1

In theory, or sales, more solvent helps it penetrate deeper. It is also the cheapest ingredient so it makes the more expensive ingredients go further. I'm not sure I believe that beyond a solvent concentration thin enough to be easily workable that it helps penetrate any deeper and it dilutes the good stuff.

The penta, oil, paraffin and spirits recipe is the old USFPL WRP, water repellant preservative recipe. The penta was the preservative, the wax and oil were the water repellant. When it faied to bead water it was time to add another coat.
some of the formulas called for more oil, this made me think of the used motor oil that we used to treat trailor beds, it worked really well and was all oil.
i made a few of these mixes and so far i like the
.5 tar
.5 LS oil
5 gal K1
i think this looks the best but i want to get a good life time with the stain. i didnt like the mix with the 40% oil, didnt look as good and the K1 didnt cut it as good.
i like the tar for color because it gives added protection to the wood but its so dark. i would really like to figure a way to lighten the color but keep the ratio of tar.

farmfromkansas

I bought some CWF once, had tung oil in it and was a good product.  Used it up, and needed some more, picked it up, and instead of tung oil it had coal oil.  I was disappointed in the later formula.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!