iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rust spots on Jointer

Started by Gipper, June 25, 2007, 10:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gipper

I know I've seen it on here some where, but I'm not having any luck with the search button!  Trying to find some information on Rust Reaper, if it will remove rust from a jointer bed.  If not, what to use to remove the rust.  Think I saw a post recently that gave the name of a member that could help with getting Rust Reaper.  This old memory isn't what it used to be so I could not find that one either.   :-[  I hadn't got to do any shop work for a few months, so knowing I had a moisture problem in the shop, I had put a soft cloth covering over the jointer.  Uncovered it to use last night and two serious rust spots had developed and some smaller ones were starting.  Got to get them off or guess  the jointer will be heading to the scrap pile!  >:(  Thanks,

Gipper

Tom

Rust Reaper still supports the topic Forestry Education and has a link there.  Click your home button and look at Forestry  Education. :)

Modat22

Don't toss it, put a little dilute phosphoric acid on there, wipe it with a rag then remove it, then lightly sand it or use scotch bright pads. If you don't like to see sand marks on metal get a buffer and use jewelers rouge to polish out the sanding marks.
After your all done, keep a coat of Boeing's t-9 on there.
remember man that thy are dust.

Larry

Your jointer is ruined...send it to me for proper disposal in the Ole Rusty Arn Graveyard. ;D

Now that we got that out of the way...slop some mineral spirits, WD-40, or something similar on the top.  Doesn't matter much what you use as it is just for lubrication.  Take a safety razor blade and slice the rust off.  Wipe the mess off and see what it looks like.  I normally stop right there when restoring old arn as the patina of well used equipment can't be bought.  Takes less than 15 minutes to restore a top.  Put on your choice of rust preventive.

If you want to restore the shiny like new (ugly) look, sandpaper and elbow grease works...but can be quite slow.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Ditto the previous comments.

I think that the link that you're looking for (in order to buy Rust Reaper) is Timberpro.  Craig Blake (Captain on the forum) is the proprieter.  The link is on the left side towards the bottom.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gipper

Thanks guys!  Guess my age has finally caught up with me.  I knew I had been on the Rust Reaper web site, but couldn't remember where the link was.  Thanks Tom for pointing it out to me - it couldn't have been more in front of me if it had jumped out and grabbed me! :-[    I'll try some of the other suggestions also, but will definitely get some of the rust reaper to have around.  It looks like a very useful product.

Larry, I believe I'll try these other remedies before sending it to you for disposal.   ;D  Believe it may have a few good years left in it.

Modat22, where do you get the Boeing's t-9?  I had read about it somewhere, but have been unable to find it.  I had all the shop tools (planer, lathe, jointer, etc.) waxed because they get low use during the spring and summer months, but with this unbearable humidity we're having it didn't seem to help. 

Thanks for the help!    Gipper

Modat22

You can buy T9 online or at many places that deal in wood shop tools. Its really hard to beat T9 on metal table tools, or on metal lathes for that matter.
remember man that thy are dust.

Engineer

Look for BoeSHIELD T-9.  www.boeshield.com

I don't like the stuff, prefer to use Butcher's paste wax on all my machines and buff it out frequently. 

The razor blade trick is the best for getting the rust off, followed by Scotch-Brite wetted with mineral spirits or WD-40.

Thank You Sponsors!