iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outboard motors

Started by Furby, June 23, 2007, 09:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Is there any way to use one in a non marine use?
What I mean is, can they be converted over to be used with a radiator or some such thing?

Tom

If you mounted one on the side of a big trash can, you could make one humongous milkshake. :)

Furby

Are ya thinking along the lines of the piggy roast Tom ???
;D 8)

Fla._Deadheader

I've seen them used in ½ size and ¾ size Midget race cars, YEARS ago ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

If you hooked a kite string to the propeller shaft, you could wind that sucker in real quick.  ;D

Furby

Ah, a winch!
Never thought of that! ;)

Any idea how to make them work like that Harold?

Fla._Deadheader

Need a fan cooled radiator and a water pump ??? ::)

JUST the engine, has a splined shaft out the bottom. MIGHT need a bushing or bearing unless you direct drive.  Wouldnt be a difficult project ???

Whatcha got in mind ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

My slabber. :)
Got a 40 horse sitting here with a bad lower unit.
Rather then give it away........  ;D ;)

Planned to run it to a jack shaft, so a belt driven water pump wouldn't be hard.
How about sealing/closing up the water inlet/outlets so I can attach hoses, any ideas?

Have a pile of auto parts, but I can get whatever I need at U-wrench it cheap. ;D

DanG

Yes, you can use them for other applications.  A friend of mine once built a Scorpion helicopter and used a 115hp Evinrude power head, hooked up with a radiator.  It worked great until it had a major collision with the ground.  No fault of the engine, though.  At the time, even with the cooling system, it had the best power/weight ratio available.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

That would depend on the engine for modding the ports ???  Ya gotta do a LITTLE thinkin on yer own, EH ???  The water is fed through tubes from the lower unit. Exhaust might just dump into the exhaust chamber ??? A tube should be running into that chamber ???

Ya gotta tear it down and look ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Mooseherder

Quote from: DanG on June 23, 2007, 10:40:30 PM
It worked great until it had a major collision with the ground. 

:D :D ;D

Furby

It's torn down, don't make me go out in the dark though!
It's soooooooo much easier to just let you guys think for me, then when it don't work, I don't have to blame myself! ;D

Fla._Deadheader

I couldn't see yer info anyway. It's dark here, too ??? ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Never got light today, EH Furb ??? ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

It didn't ??? :o
What happen, that valcano blow it's top or something ??? ;D

Well it looks like the 1/2" pipe I thought was for something else is indeed my water inlet to the engine.
The back feed would just dump back in as you said.
Gonna take some work to strip this thing down the rest of the way, but I'm thinking I may just do it unless someone has some better ideas for it?

Thanks for the help. ;)

DanG

Furby, do a Google on Scorpion Helicopter.  There were a bunch of those things built back in the 70's and 80's.  I'll betcha there are some forums about them.  All of'em used outboards for power as far as I know.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

Take it to a boat repair place and sell it. Walk away with paper in your pocket.
Go to a pawn shop or a garage sale and buy a riding mower for the engine.
Then you don't have to do all that plumbing nor do you have to mix oil and gas.
Air would be better to breath around that slabber.
;D
Haytrader

Furby

I already have several riding mower engines, but none over 10 horse.
The outboard isn't worth more then $100 bucks on trade, so it's really not worth it.

I'd much rather not have to mix the oil and gas and not have to breath it, but it's what I've got. :-\

Fla._Deadheader

Long exhaust pipe will help, bunches  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

LogDawg

If you conect a garden hose to the end of the copper tube coming from the powerhead you can run the motor as long as you want. The water exiting the powerhead will run down through the exhaust tuner and onto the ground. The smoke will be gagging you and the noise will be deafening. The lower unit has the bearing in it to support the end of the driveshaft so if you run it without the lower unit you'll have to rig up some kind of bearing to support the driveshaft as well as hold the splines into the end of the crankshaft so that the shaft doesn't fall out of the powerhead. Make sure you have plenty of extra plugs, points, coils and head gaskets on hand. You might want to pull the old lower unit off first before going to far. Around here they rust into the end of the crankshaft so bad you cant get them out without ruining the driveshaft, crankshaft splines or both.

Wood Mizer LT40HD
Kubota L4200
John Deer 40
D2 Cat
Home built John Doe tractor
Jonsered, Husky, Stihl

Furby

Lower unit has been off since last fall.
No problems there.
I'd fix it if I could get the lower unit apart to reset the gears, but it won't. ::)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

It's not rusted in.
It just don't come out. ;D

isawlogs

::) ::) Use a bigger hammer .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I can't offer any help on the outboard Furby, but this thread reminded me that someone was looking for higher horse vertical shaft engines. Surplus Center has 24HP Hondas for $899, for whoever was looking. I can't remeber which thread it was, sorry. smiley_headscratch

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!