iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hmmm, I'll just say it's a whopper! Solved:Speckled Alder

Started by SwampDonkey, June 22, 2007, 08:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

This specimen was 20 feet tall and 9 inches (22 cm) at 3.2 feet (1.0 m) above ground level. That is a ~ 2 quart (2 litre) water jug hanging on the plant. The thing was growing roadside. It forked above the tape.

Here are some leaves and stem portion. Even a bud forming there so early in the growing season. These leaves came off another plant of the same species. It was difficult taking a clipping from the plant I cut it from because of all the adelgid (aphids covered in white fuzz) living on the stems and leaves.

This will be added to another popular thread later.  Any guesses? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Looks like a Canada Plum (Red Plum)  Prunus Nigra

SwampDonkey

The aphids threw ya off eh?  ;)

Nope not a plum.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Got a real strong Betulaceae feel about it..........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

I am thinking Beaked Hazel, Corylus cornuta ???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Your in the ball park WDH. No not beaked hazel. That would be a monster diameter for beaked hazel though.  ;D

Here are a couple more shots of the underside of the leaf. Ladder-like venation and pubescence can be seen.

Notice the leaves are rugose.  ;D

Hopefully, another clue tomorrow if I can get some micro photography.  ;)

WDH

OK, I think I know what it is.  Never seen it myself though.  I need to pay you a visit to learn all the Eastern Canadian species that we southerners only read about in books......

I bet this one has a cone-like fruit.

SwampDonkey

Inserted another tid bit under the picture of the leaves in the previous post. Do it for ya?  ;)

Mooseherder

WDH

Yes, I incana believed it was rugose :D :D :D :D ;D.  That is a plant that I would like to see.  But I would likely need my spectacles ::).  No need for spectacles with the quality of those pics ;D.

How in the heck do you take such fine quality close-up pics ???  I have not got that figured out yet.  That secondary venation is perfectly crisp and clear.  Look at that rugose-ness.  Perfect.  Good job. 

I'll hang back and let others noodle and ruminate a bit on this one  smiley_headscratch smiley_idea smiley_gossip

SwampDonkey

Mooseherder ; Nope not basswood, think more birch-like. ;)

WDH  :D :D :D  Musta been all the fertilizer and good top soil that washed down off the neighboring potato field the last 60 years that helped this brute gain such girth.  ;D 8)

Mooseherder

Here comes the shotgun approach. :D

American Elm   ulmus americana ;D

Mooseherder

Now I got it!

Speckled Alder ;D
alnus rugosa ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 22, 2007, 10:19:40 PM
Here comes the shotgun approach. :D

Where have I heard that before? :) :D :D

Yup, you got it Mooseherder. Ain't she a brute?  :D  ;D

I'm still gonna post my next clue/feature tomorrow. Get out your hand lenses and utility knives.  ;D

Mooseherder

I pulled out my Maine Forest service Trees of Maine Booklet.
Them DanG leaves looked about the same. Your last clue put me on it though. :D
Here is what it says.
Speckled Alder, alnus rugosa
Is very common, usually growing in wet situations along brooks, in swamps and in Pastures. It sprouts very readily and is a nuisance on pasture land.
Alder usually occurs as a shrub, rarely as a small tree. It is seldom more than 4 inches in diameter and 20 feet in height.
Yup, that one is a whopper. :)

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 22, 2007, 10:30:59 PM
Get out your hand lenses and utility knives.  ;D

Hand lens.........Check!

Utility knife.......Check!

We be waiting ;D

thecfarm

I thought it was alder.Don't know all of the greek names.How about biscuit wood?I kinda like it when they grow along the ground 4-5 feet than start to grow up.I have cut a few of these.Never saw one that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It is an excellent nurse shrub for the natural succession of an abandoned pasture. Even though it is so cursed. I've seen some nice thickets of fir or spruce start in under them and on more moist sites a good crop of white ash will establish.  Helps fix nitrogen so it's a benefit to run out pasture land. 8)

Ironwood

I would have guessed Witch Hazel. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Pith of speckled alder

A 3-point star. Scale in mm's.

Maybe a better picture? The wood is white when fresh cut, but quickly oxidizes to brown.

Dodgy Loner

It's good to see large specimens of small trees gettin' some love ;).  Most people would walk by that tree and not give it a second thought.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Most people don't give specimens of any tree a second thought :-[.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, usually the response is......'So what' with a little bit of sarcasm in the voice.  ::)

WDH

Is the pith always triangular shaped?

SwampDonkey

Seems to be a trait of most alders, even red alder of the NW coast and European alder. Says fast growing, vigourous twigs of red alder are often triangular shaped in the Dendro Text. I only learned this recently by reading and then going to see for myself on local bushes.

Thank You Sponsors!