iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2x4's are great!

Started by Firebass, June 20, 2007, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I've been cutting with my home made swinger now since winter mainly cutting beams siding and larger framing lumber.   I decided I needed a good supply of 2x4's for general use.   Man! with a good log and about 1 hour I've got a stack of 30 or so 2x4s that are almost to nice to drive a nail in ;D

I will post the pictures of our cabin after this week end.  Ramona and I are doing the Bat and Board siding.  We are new to this but is sure is fun and rewarding.

Firebass

TexasTimbers

Cant wait to see them.

Quote from: Firebass on June 20, 2007, 09:42:58 PM. . . .  We are new to this but is sure is fun and rewarding. . . . .

Y'all sure as heck don't look new at either milling, or building mills!
;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

brdmkr

Firebass,

I am with you on the 2x4s.  You can really get in a rthym cutting 2x4s on a swinger.  They come off the log FAST!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Firebass

Well we got 2 walls most the way up.  Ramona really is starting to like the new cabin.   Things sure are easier with the help from a carpenter brother.   

Firebass

woodbowl

Now that's just too cute! Those long vertical windows really make a small cabin give off the look of comfort. How about that roof, are you planning to saw your own shakes, metal ect?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Firebass

Well I was about to roam around the forum to see if I could find some information on tung and groove for the roof deck.   We are thinking of metal roofing mainly because of fire.  I've gave some thought to making a cutting tool to fit my mill to cut the tung and grooves.   I really think it could be done fairly easy. 

Firebass

mike_van

I did a metal hip roof, small one but a lot of cutting [by hand with tin snips]  Something I'd only want to do once in this life  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

thurlow

Quote from: mike_van on June 26, 2007, 09:42:30 AM
  [by hand with tin snips]  :D

Air-driven pistol grip tin snips can be had for.............without looking it up...........about 20 or 25 bucks.  If I were in the 'business', I'd buy something better, but for occasional use, they work great. 
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

solidwoods

Millings a hoot, isn't it.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Robert Long

Tin roof can be noisy when it rains.....even with insulation installed.........

Try making your own wood shingles if you have a source for some cedar, white oak, or poplar.

Nice little cottage.....enjoy it!

Robert

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Robert Long on June 26, 2007, 02:45:27 PM
Tin roof can be noisy when it rains.....even with insulation installed.........
Ya can't have a phone conversation because ya can't hear the phone ring in the first place. And if you thought hard rain was loud, wait until it hails! You'll swear the world is ending.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

YEAH, sounds GREAT, EH ???  8) 8) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

alone

Quote from: mike_van on June 26, 2007, 09:42:30 AM
I did a metal hip roof, small one but a lot of cutting [by hand with tin snips]  Something I'd only want to do once in this life  :D
By hand with tin snips?  It is crazy¡¡¡ :D  We do it all time with tools ;D ;D  Ask me?

Thank You Sponsors!