iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do ya do it in CR?

Started by BigTrev, June 19, 2007, 10:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTrev

Hi guys,

I'm trying to help out a guy who has a project on in CR. They are looking at building in the bush and using the trees they fell to clear the site to build the structures. The trees they have are teak and look pretty good, about 30 years old.

Now the question is, how would they go about drying.

I'm thinking that they could maybe fell the site then erect a basic timber frame and put polythene over it to keep the warm in and the wet out with vents at the bottom so the condensation would run down the plastic and keep the thing drained. The sites are on a mountainous peninsula so heights are from sea level to a few hundred feet.

Would this work to get the timber to a usable level?

Secondly, how long does Teak usually take to dry when cut at 3/8x8" (rough guess) or is it a case of monitoring it with a gauge?

Last of all, do you need to treat Teac for use in housing?

Thanks guys in advance, I've never worked with Teak before and certainly not in Costa Rica so any and all info is welcome.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Fla._Deadheader

Never worked with Teak, YET.  Other wood, I sticker and cover with plastic, on the top only. Let the wind blow through. Amazingly, about 3-4 months, the wood will be around 20%. 

Mostly, the locals stack it on edge up against a 2X strung between two trees or on a frame. They should turn the boards other end up, every couple 3 days. Rain doesn't have that much effect. Sap is what takes time.

Fred has seen a couple Kiln setups, even Solar ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

What Harold says.

You dont want to enclose the stack. Heat isn't the problem cos it's the tropics, but it's humid so you want all the airflow you can get. Some scrap boards and plastic tarps to make covers for the stacks would be the idea, but leave the sides open. Drying would be fairly fast because of the warm climate, but 18-20% is probably about as dry as it's going to (or needs to) get .

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

crtreedude

yes, pretty good info.

One thing I do is make sure it is under shade. You can buy shading screen.  I suppose if you sealed it completely you could crank the heat but you really want to be careful. You don't know the impact of a direct sun until you felt it.

Something they may not know that they BETTER know. Cut those trees without permits and they can spend time in jail. I kid you not. They will need a forestry engineer to mark the trees and send off for the permissions. If all is good, it will only be about 2 weeks to get it.

Shouldn't be any issue on getting the permits because they are plantation trees.

Secondly, clearing a site is a bad thing and VERY illegal - unless it is inside the plantation which it sounds like it is. Make sure they know. They aren't in Kansas anymore - Costa Rica laws are very strict.

Another example - if your chainsaw is not registered or you use it to cut something without permission (including the sawmill) MINAE will take it and not EVER give it back.

Hopefully they know all of this - but if not, STOP IMMEDIATELY until they get this straightened out or they will have a heap of trouble.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

BigTrev

Thanks for  the help guys, gentlemen and scholars the lot of you  ;D

crtreedude

Are you sure you know us?  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

BigTrev

ok how about Scholars and Master millers the lot of you, can't think of a much more prestigious title that   ;)

TexasTimbers

Millers, maybe, but 'masters" not the lot of us. :)

I just ain't gonna let ya compliment all of us at once Trev it's too easy. ;D

How's that pen doing? Not tooting my own horn but you would not have it had I not put that ball to rolling. Okay. Tooting my own horn. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

BigTrev

Kevjay, the pens are beautiful. I have used them so much that I have nearly run all three out of ink. They are quite literally the only pens I use.

Now as to the complimenting I give up, you all know what you are, millers and FF buddys and some of the folks I respect the most.

Now no more arguing, yer gonna take your compliment and like it  >:( :D

Thank You Sponsors!