iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved!!...12 Part What-is-it Test......Do You Know Your Leaf Shapes?

Started by WDH, June 19, 2007, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

When the cabinets were built on either side of my fireplace in 1982, the cabinet maker did a crappy job on the 6 doors (3 on either side of the fireplace).  The doors warped, and we lived with them for too many years.  I decided to re-do the doors myself.  The idea was to create a door with two panels divided by a middle rail.  Each panel would be copper, with the shape of a leaf with significance to my family punched in the copper panel.  We had a family discussion to ascertain which 12 leaves we would display.  The criteria were that each leaf had to have some significance to us and that each leaf should come from our property.

We collected representative leaves and made the 12 choices.  I took the leaves to work and made a copy of the actual leaves actual size.  So each leaf is the outline of a real specimen.

The test is to see how many of the 12 leaves you can identify from the punched shapes alone.  Unfortunately, all the leaves are Southern since they came from my property, so you Northern, Western, Carribean, Southern Hemispherean, European, and assorted other members who are interesting in participating might have to do some research..........not a bad thing.

I will list them by number.  If you take the test before you scroll down to see other poster's responses, you will not be biased.

Post your response by number, for example:
1.  Redwood
2.  Atlantic white cedar
3.  Jolly ole oak

Here goes ;D

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

1. Black walnut
2. sycamore
3. Black Oak
4. shagbark hickory
5. Black Maple
6. Cherrybark Oak
7. Sweetgum
8. Buckeye, or horse chestnut
9. southern red oak
10. Red Bud, possibly mulberry
11. Tulip poplar
12. White oak.

Does spelling count?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

metalspinner

1. Walnut
2. Sycamore
3. Red oak
4  ash
5. Sugar maple
6. R.O.
7. Sweetgum
8. ????
9. Southern R.O.
10. Redbud
11. Tulip Poplar
12. White Oak

I didn't look at the others until I made my list...I promise.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Current Scores:

Texas Ranger                10/12 or 83%
Onewithwood                  9/12 or 75%
Metalspinner                    8/12 or 67%  or 10/12 depending on leniency of Judge ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

WDH, I remember you quizzing me on those panels when I was first learning tree ID in high school :D.  I guess I'll refrain from the competition since I already know what they all are ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Nothing like a panel test, eh :D. 

Actually, both of TR's misses were by only a whisper, and given the info available, were excellent choices given that you are only working with silohoeuttes.

Of the three respondants combined, 11 out of 12 have been identified correctly.  Only one has yet to be properly identified..... ::).

Radar67

1. Black walnut
2. sycamore
3. Scarlet Oak
4. shagbark hickory
5. Red Maple
6. Cherrybark Oak
7. Sweetgum
9. southern red oak
11. Tulip poplar
12. White oak.

I copied TR's and made a couple changes.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Larry

QuoteDo You Know Your Leaf Shapes?

No but I'll play.

1.  Walnut
2.  ? Maple
3.  Red Oak
4.  Shellbark Hickory
5.  ? Maple
6.  Southern Red Oak
7.  Sweetgum
8.  Buckeye
9.  Black Oak
10.  Cottonwood
11.  Tulip Popular
12.  White Oak

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Quote from: WDH on June 19, 2007, 01:25:56 PM
Current Scores:

Metalspinner                    8/12 or 67%  or 10/12 depending on leniency of Judge ;D
Radar67                     10.5/12 or 88%  Partial credit for one choice at discretion of Judge. 
Larry                            6.5/12 or 54%  Partial credit for one choice at discretion of Judge

Now, when all respondants are combined, 12 out of 12 have been identified, but nobody has got them all yet.

Radar67

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

WDH

Quote from: WDH on June 19, 2007, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: WDH on June 19, 2007, 01:25:56 PM
Current Scores:

Radar67                        11/12 or 92% 
Larry                            6.5/12 or 54%  Partial credit for one choice at discretion of Judge

Modified score for Radar67.

Radar67

WDH

Texas Ranger

1. Black walnut
2. sycamore
3. scarlet Oak
4. shagbark hickory
5. Red Maple
6. Cherrybark Oak
7. Sweetgum
9. southern red oak
11. Tulip poplar
12. White oak.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Quote from: WDH on June 19, 2007, 04:11:29 PM

Texas Ranger                11/12 or 92%
Radar67                        11/12 or 92% 

Modified for Texas Ranger.

metalspinner

I only named four of the twelve as oaks.  My tree service guy would have called eight of those twelve oaks.  I should get some sort of credit for hitting the right family. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Hey , you saw the comment about the leniency of the judge :D.  I am not a hanging judge ;D.  The two in question were both oaks................ :P.

Radar67

1. Black walnut
2. sycamore
3. Scarlet Oak
4. shagbark hickory
5. Red Maple
6. Cherrybark Oak
7. Sweetgum
9. Black oak
11. Tulip poplar
12. White oak.

Stew note the change on 9

WDH

Negative Stew.  You had that one right.

I will have to say that the one that is in question could easily be two species from just looking at the shape alone.  One of these species is opposite branched and the other is alternate.  No way to tell that from the shape alone.

One person did get it right ::).

Radar67

Could you be talking about the hickory? If so, Shellbark in particular?

Stew

WDH

It ain't a hickory, but sure looks like one  ::).  What else has a compound leaf like that ???.

Radar67

Well, I ain't sure, but if one person got it right, it could be ash.

Stew

WDH

!!!!!

Solved  ;D

Sorry that the green ash and pignut hickory look so much alike from the leaf shape alone. 

All in all, you guys did great with your leaf shapes.  I am impressed ;D.

Radar67

So this is the correct list.

1. Black walnut
2. sycamore
3. Scarlet Oak
4. Ash
5. Red Maple
6. Cherrybark Oak
7. Sweetgum
9. Southern Red Oak
11. Tulip poplar
12. White oak.

Stew

Thank You Sponsors!