iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are these for?

Started by Chris Burchfield, June 18, 2007, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

First sorry, I don't have a picture. I have two of what I would think would be broadhead axes. The thing is, they are curved/forged to one side with one side being straight. What would they have been used for? They are not Fros. I have two of them also. They may just be axes for a left or right handed person. They are heavy and meant to do damage for whatever they came in contact with. TYIA. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Tom

Chris,
If what you are talking about is the offset the blade has from the handle, it is typical of broad axes used for hewing.

This allows the carpenter to use the axe as he walks beside the log and not get his knuckles ripped open on the hewed surface.

Yes, they are built so that the handle can be hung in either end so that they will form a right and left-handed hewing axe.  Even a right-hander might have need for a left-handed axe, and visa-versa.  :)

You will also note that the edge is chisel shaped and only sharpened from one side.   This is also to make it a hewing tool.  An axe with an edge formed by an angle from both sides, as in a felling axe, wouldn't allow you to make a smooth, flat cut.

JV

I agree with Tom.  The eyes were forged to one side to make the other to use like a

plane to smooth.  The offset handles kept you from "barking your knuckles".

Used a couple to see how they worked, and they are work.  I have a lot of admiration

for the old timers that used these all day long.  My maternal grandfather was one of the

last timber framers around this area. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dave Shepard

CB, you can send those useless, no-good one-way axes up here, especially if they are the Penn. goosewing style.  ;)

Seriously, can you get any pics? I collect use this kind of axe from time to time.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Here is a common 8" broadaxe in need of restoration:

In this photo, you should be able to see that the left side is fairly flat from poll to edge:

This is a coopers broadaxe used with one hand to trim the tops of the barrel staves, you can see the sharpened edge on this side. It is not sharpened at all on the other:

And here you can see how pronounced the sweep of both the eye and the handle are:

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chris Burchfield

Thanks guys. They were my Grandfather's and I'd like to put handles in them. They nor the Froes have handles. I'll see if I can get some pics. They have a lot more material in them forward of the handle than the pics you've shown me here. Would you place the flat side toward the beam or the curved face as to prevent it from entering the wood?
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Dave Shepard

The flat side goes toward the beam.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!