iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with Post Hole Digger

Started by johnjbc, June 18, 2007, 10:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Anyone recognize this Post Hole Digger? The tractor mounting has been modified and doesn't fit my tractor. It needs to be modified to move it about 20" closer to the tractor.
It would be nice to have pictures or measurements  of an original one before I start cutting and would probably prevent some trial and error ::) ::).
Thanks
John

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Daren

Can you just get/make a longer drive shaft ?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

sawguy21

That would reduce the operating angles and strain on the u-joints.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I find it strange that the drive shaft is encased in a piece of tube.  That seems like it would bind as the equipment is raised.

If the length of the shaft is the problem, I think I would attack that first too.

What doesn't fit?

thurlow

Tom........I don't think the pto shaft goes into the tube;  it appears to me that the tube is the top link.  If it were in a tube, 'twould probably be a shield, although I doubt that a digger of that era has a shield...........if it ever had one.  Just from the pictures, I too see no reason not to use the digger as is;  just work on the pto shaft.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

johnjbc

It's not a straight line from the PTO to the input yoke on the gear box. The piece that hooks to the 3 point arms is in the road. Would have to bend drive shaft to get it hooked up
John

thurlow

I don't want to appear dense ........................or preachy, but the pto shaft will never be in a straight line;  there will be 2 offsets/angles as the digger is raised and lowered.  There's got to be 2 u-joints..................

Furby

Yup, the shaft that is on there is one half of an extenable shaft.
Go buy a new one with both u-joints.

At some point in it's travel, it will be a straight shot between the gear box and the PTO, but most of the time it won't be.

thurlow

Quote from: Furby on June 18, 2007, 12:08:33 PM

At some point in it's travel, it will be a straight shot between the gear box and the PTO

You're right;  should not have used the word "never".............like I should not use "always". 

Fla._Deadheader

I Bleeeve, y'all ain't seein the problem  ::) ::)

Looks and sounds like the cross over loop that has the 3 pt. arms linked to it, hits the drive shaft when ya lower the rig.  ::) ::)

He has to make the loop go over the top, like the other arched support ???

Maybe it's the fog down here, that I can't see straight.  ::) :D :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kcwoodbutcher

I'd shorten the whole thing. Hanging that far out to the rear would put a real strain on the tractor when you're pulling that auger full of dirt out or got the thing in a bind.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

johnjbc

QUOTE but the pto shaft will never be in a straight line;  there will be 2 offsets/angles as the digger is raised and lowered.  There's got to be 2 u-joints..................

No their will be 3 the 2 you are talking about plus 1 where it has to bend around the support. You may be able to see it in this picture.
I put a piece of pipe on the lower PTO Shaft to extend it. It and the upper end are being held in place for the picture by a piece of chain.

John

johnjbc

Thanks Fla._Deadheader
You explained it better than I could. ::)
Now all I need to do is figure out where to cut. Would have been nice if someone had the same model.
I see that the grease seal is bad. The gear lube I put in is dripping.
This is what happens when you go to auctions. Speaking about auctions. Wait till you see what I start asking about next.  :D

John

thurlow

A thousand pardons, sahib.   ;D  ;D  I reckon I didn't really understand the querstion.  I did say I was dense.  I chose to answer some stuff you din't ax.   8)

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D  Akshally, I had one very similar in Arkansas. I had to re-work it, and then snapped a gear in the differential. ???  ::) ::)

That one needs to have the underside loop removed and re-located, OR, add extensions on both legs. Them things ain't Hvy Duty, soo, I hope ya got sand to dig in.  :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

johnjbc

Not a problem I didn't explain it very well. And you were trying to help.  8)

Reddog

Looking at all the stuff that was added. I think it originaly was for the old Farmall lift that did not have a top link.
And the frame that goes back is on upside down for that. The pto shaft would have been on top of the V pipe.

Not that this helps you much. Just a guess from looking at it.

Fla._Deadheader

Reddog, ya talkin about a 2 point hitch ???  That makes sense.  ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Reddog

Ya, I didn't think to call it that. :D  I was trying to think of the fancy name IH used.

Haytrader

When raised to highest point, where is the bottom of the auger in relation to the ground? If it has a lot of clearence  then simply adjust the angle on the middle piece that attaches to your tractor. If there is not over 4" clearence, then that is not the solution.
I have a question for everyone along these same lines.
If it takes 3 hours and 15 minutes to dig 10 post holes by hand, how long does it take to dig a half of a hole?
:P
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Depends on which half, top or bottom  ::) ::)   smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

It takes 19 and a half minutes to dig a half of one of the original holes.   It can be arrived at by recognizing that you have to dig a full hole to get a half a hole and also that a hole can be measured in depth as well as diameter.

So, while there is no such thing as a half of a hole, there is half of a hole.  ;D

Haytrader

Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

I made myself go stand in the corner  :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

You got off easy.  I had to slap my hand.

Thank You Sponsors!