iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who was Thomas Forgrave?

Started by Jeff, June 17, 2007, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, I didn't know either, but I do know a little but now.

Tammy and I were coming back from a trip up into Canada Saturday, and on the way past the Stalwart Cemetery, a place I have driven by countless times, I noticed a Stone that I had never noticed before. I observed it at 55 mile an hour. Tammy was wondering why I jumped on the skids so quick. I explained to her that I wanted to visit that Cemetery for a moment to see if what I saw was really what I thought I saw.

We got backed up to the gate where we pulled off the edge of 48, walked across and into the old Stalwart Cemetery.  Here are a couple of photos of the stones that grabbed my attention.

I looked Thomas Forgrave up in google and found that he was one of the original settlers in the Stalwart area. Stalwart is just a stones throw from our property. I thought perhaps he was a logger, but I have not found any indication of that yet.

Here is what I did find, in several places. http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/mi/chippewa/stalwart/history/s34602.txt

I found it most interesting. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yeah, seems he lost the farm in Ontario and moved down to Stalwart.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/world/bios/stalwart_settlers.htm#FORGRAVE

That Crawford mentioned was interesting. We have traced my GREAT GREAT GREAT grandfather Sam Crawford to a cemetery in Hampstead, NB. I found this info off the web from a woman down in the states who is related through her mother's side of the family. She even had my immediate family and cousins and aunts in her family tree. No one in my family ever heard tell of her. But, now we know where the old feller is.  :) There is one branch of the family, the Actons, that are long gone from this area. The community of Acton is now along an abandoned road and the homesteads growing up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!