iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simply pinnate.

Started by Tom, June 17, 2007, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I've been trying to figure out what that plant is in the pot. 

woodbowl

Looks kinda like Hickory, wild pecan or mountain ash.  Whut kind o' varmit is that?  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Sprucegum

That's the kinda varmint that would knock the plant over , bust the pot , dig out the rootball, sniff at it and walk away - iffn he could still walk.

Nice job  ;)

What made me think of Mountain Ash?

SwampDonkey

Looks like black ash to me Fraxinus nigra because of the 9 sessile (no petiolules/stems) leaflets. I can't see if they are serrate. Could also fit bitternut hickory Carya cordiformis. This is what is going to make it interesting for me to find and distinguish seedlings coming up from those seed I planted. Hmmm, are they black ash or bitternut?  :D :D :D  8)

Tom, your getting as dodgy as your coherts.  8)  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

I'm puttin' all of my money on pecan.  There's no mountain-ash or black ash in Tom's area, so those are unlikely choices.  Bitternut hickory is a definite possibility, as well as water hickory, but I've never known anyone to plant either of those on purpose...so pecan it is!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

It's a bythedeadbearus nigra
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I really shouldn't say much,but I feel like a little   smiley_devil tonight.Where's jeff?He could tell you what that tree is.But he might have a hard time with the black object in front.I won't say what it is,don't want to give it away.   ;D ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Who said either the tree or the barr was in Tom's area?  ;D  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Well, it's obviously impossible to conclusively ID that little plant from the photo alone, so I'm just making some unfounded assumptions to narrow my list down to a single species.  I know how you like that shotgun approach, though ;D.

How about this:  I don't think it's a mountain-ash because the lower leaflets are smaller than the upper leaflets.  Mountain-ashes tend to have leaflets that are more or less equal in size.  And I don't think it's black ash because the leaves appear to be alternate :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

beenthere

On first blush it looks like a black walnut to me (wit a black bear)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

This plant Id stuff is tough!!

.... and this one is turning out to be a real bear.

I've studied it and studied it and.....

You can see the way that the leaves are connected in this shot.  I don't think that the yellow flowers are part of it but the big green leaf might be a shadow leaf or not. :P :-\

I think that must be a bear spot in the background.

Mooseherder

It'll be a while before this one is identified. :D

DanG

It's a pecan tree from Walmart?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Quote from: thecfarm on June 17, 2007, 08:53:05 PM
I really shouldn't say much,but I feel like a little   smiley_devil tonight.Where's jeff?He could tell you what that tree is.But he might have a hard time with the black object in front.I won't say what it is,don't want to give it away.   ;D ;D

Ha ha ha I do so know. Thats Paul and a Black Squirrel that tried to make off with his walnuts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Something ain't cosher here. My black walnuts have 17 - 21 leaflets and the petioles at the base and the tip are smaller than the ones (petioles) mid way up. But who said it was black walnut? :D :D Typically, larger petioles on the tip are hickories. But they are in the same family as walnut.  ;D

Not mountain ash because they are twice compound, where the petioles are also compound.

Tom, ya got hood winked at Wal-Mart. Take it back man. ;D :D

Phorester

Well, shucks, TOM.  You've discovered our secret.

For tree ID, real foresters look at the tag   ;D

Notice that the alleopathic ability of that walnut killed the bear......

Tom

Bro. Noble

Doesn't Jeff get any kind of prize for IDing that Varmit as Paul?  :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WDH

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 17, 2007, 08:03:36 PM
Tom, your getting as dodgy as your coherts.  8)  ;D

Tom, you have to watch the company you keep :).

Must be English Walnut (Juglans regia) or some other variety..  In Black Walnut (Juglans nigra), the terminal leaflet usually aborts.......... ;)

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 17, 2007, 08:34:35 PM
I'm puttin' all of my money on pecan. 

DL,  you got the family right ;D. 

This would all have been much easier if the photographer had taken a pic of the tag right from the start :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

That's definitely not a black walnut.  Are the leaflets serrated?  If not, then it's an English walnut.  And if they are serrated, then I maintain that it's a pecan ;D.

Paul_H

Tom has had some good fun with the pics I sent him yesterday ;D

Heres the story of how my lawn got that bear patch.

On Friday morning on the way to work,I saw a small Brown Cub laying dead on the side of the logging road and the mother,a small Black Bear was on the other side of the road wanting to stay near her Cub but away from our truck.
Saturday night at bedtime I was snuggling with my two youngest girls and was telling them about the little Cub and how bad I felt for the Mama Bear.
Lucy,6 years old,asked me if people ever shoot Bears in the eye. I was taken aback by the strange question and answered her that I didn't think that would be a shot somebody would pick but it would certainly kill them without suffering.
Sunday morning I was sick as a Dog and opted to stay home from Church and soak in a hot bath because I had the chills.Carla and the girls left and not long afterward I heard a noise on the porch.I stood up and looked out the window and saw a Bear directly below me.I yelled loudly and he didn't even flinch,
I grabbed the 12 gauge and went down stairs and banged on the window on the back door.The Bear actually came up the porch stairs to the window.I stepped back a little and considered driving him right through the window because he was so arrogant.
When he did go down the stairs I opened the door and he came back around so I put the bead on him and pulled the trigger but the safety was on.I regrouped inside the door and went back out where he was just below the porch and when he stood up I shot and he went down fast.

I unloaded and then called the CO and then went back out and rolled him over and realised he was nailed right through the left eye at about 12 feet.

We have Bears here daily when the Cherries and Apples are ripe but this one had broke into our roothouse the week before and was up on our porch with no fear or respect at 11:00 am this day.When I saw how he came toward the door when I banged on it I shudder to think what would have happened if our 5 or 6 year olds would have happened to open the door to go outside and play. :-\

We're wondering if he wasn't a relocated problem Bear ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WDH

This Tree ID Thread is becoming un-bear-able ::)

beenthere

Paul_H
Didn't include at what point you actually put some clothes on....so did ya shoot da bear while bare?  Inquiring minds gotta know....... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!