iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harold gave me the bug! (Andy builds a mill)

Started by ADfields, March 27, 2003, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Buck, he may still be waitin for Break up to get over with?? ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ADfields

Well I have had one thing after the other (like DanG and his truck) and have very little to show off at this point.   The frame is done and it's got an axle under it so I could get it out of the shop when I lost the motor in the wifes little bronco.   I put a rebuilt 2.8L from Shucks (Checker Auto) in the bronco and have had nothing but trouble from the thing so now the shop is full till Shucks gets a 2nd 2.8L shipped up from Portland, 5 days by ship and now it's lost at the port of Anchorage. ::)   I will see if I can get a pic of the little I have built posted tomorrow night but mostly all I have for now is a frame and a pile of hi priced parts and no time to turn it into a saw. :'(   I should be able to get some done on it next week if Shucks gets me my motor in the morning like they say. >:(   I wish I had just rebuilt that DanG motor myself and not gone the "fast" way.>:(
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Ain't that always the way ????  Any time ya try to save a little time and $$, something always pops up and costs MORE time and $$!! ::)
  Hang in there, Andy. Before ya know it, there'll be a foot of snow on the ground, and you will have LOTS of time to build yer mill. ;D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

It's not much to look at for now but hear it is.

I took this pic at 11:30 pm tonight just befor I came in.   This time of year in Alaska A guy dont know when it's night! ;D
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Hey, lookin good. What color ya gonna paint it??  ::) ::) :P :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

ADfields

Well I'm back at the mill at very long last.   Went to Anchorage and got my steel today so I would not be giveing my money to the French owned (Air-Weld) steel yard 10 miles away in Wasilla.
Andy

Hear is what $489.64 will buy you at Alaska Steel in Anchorage! ::)   Thank god Anchorage has no tax! ;)

Fla._Deadheader

That included the trailer, right ??
  Whooo, that's a LOT of $$$
   Looks like 4" X 1/4" & 3" X 1/4" ??
   What's the solid round for, track ??
   Better get busy. I been thinkin, again. ::) ::) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Danny_S

Whooo!! that is expensive....here in N.B. Canada I could get that for around $250  sheesh :o   Good to hear you are back at it again. I got a full coat of primer on mine today. Still scrounging up bandwheel parts.. :-/
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

ADfields

Ya it was WAY over priced!!!  :o   And no the trailer don't count!! :-/

It's
20' of 3" X 3/16" wall @ $80.66 a stick
40' of 2-1/2" X 1/4" wall @ $84.99 a stick
40' of 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" X 1/4" angle @ $31.45 a stick
60' of 1" 4060 (I think it was) cold roll @ $58.70 a stick

The 1" round in hot roll would have been 21 bucks a stick but I wanted the good carbon cold roll like W/M uses for the rollers to ride on.   I hate to buy new steel just fro the sticker shock I get every time. :o   Tubing is hard to come by used and so is that cold roll so I had to go the bucks on it. ::)

Harold what you thinking on now? :P   I'm game for near anything ya know. ;D   Well, I'd just as soon not be working on cars for a bit!!  :-X :-X :-X   Shucks did give me ALL the parts to put the 2nd longblock in for free, almost $300 in small stuff, oil and what not for the trouble they put me threw. :-/   Better then a kick in the teeth or a poke in the eye, right? ???
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Andy, WM claims that they use HARD rod and then make it harder. I'm guessing something close to drill rod?? I know that old WM's tracks don't show much wear from the rollers.
  Well, I have this WM type mill, AND I need something to saw this DanG hard Aus. Pine, AND the WM type head is REAL easy to remove, AND I been thinkin, Soooo, I just MIGHT build a swing blade rig, and slide it right down the tower. Wouldn't take a couple of hours, IF I had a boom rigged up on the main beam, to change it over ??
  That would give me the loader, wide bed, hyd. toeboards, log stops, power feed and a simple up-down. The scale is already on the tower leg ?? Just need to figure a GOOD set of dogs and Bob's yer uncle !!
  Seems that Kiwi Jake was lookin for a rig something like this??
   Whatcha think ??  Did I mention that I met Rube Goldberg last Monday ?? :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!